Car activation

My view on this is that the program is summits on the air, not hikers on the air, athletes on the air or mountaineers on the air. We don’t need to have an elevated heart rate, just an elevated position.

So whatever method we use to get to the summit is fine. When we get there, we just need to be independent of a vehicle, power generators etc. and as suggested in various places, the test for independence is to have the vehicle removed. If our station can continue to operate without it, we are ok. No need for complications.

73 Andrew VK1DA/VK2UH

8 Likes

Quoted the whole thing… because I was reading down the comments and I was just about to write virtually identical comments… spooky.

May I be so bold as to say I’ve a modicum of mountain experience, across 6 continents and in pretty much all weathers, from blizzards to extreme heat. But I don’t want SOTA to be a test of any of that. It can be if you want the personal challenge. But if you don’t (or can’t) hike up hills I want you to have an alternative that means you can take part.

6 Likes

In my country, almost all summits can be reached by motorcycle. Of course, this is illegal almost everywhere, but no one controls it. Everywhere the paths to the summits are plowed by motorcycles, ATVs and Off-road cars. Some young and healthy radio amateurs consider this a legal SOTA activation.

If it’s illegal to ride a motor cycle or drive a vehicle to the summit then any activation that uses these is not valid.

Just as passing a sign on foot that says “No
Entry” invalidates an activation.

All spelt out quite clearly in the Rules.

Ron

I suppose this means that of all the conclusions people can come to about this, we have arrived at the same conclusions. And of course we both think we are right. Which we obviously are! Well, probably close to it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Andrew,

This is a shot of me and XYL on my last activation. The car is only 100 m away.

I hope that is not too close.

7 Likes

Crikey, you BOTH need a shave!

2 Likes

Yes Brian,

Blame the COVID19 lock down.

Ron

73 to all

Car activation ?!?!?
rules or not is irrelevant…
Activation without walking in nature is just hamradio not SOTA.
Hiking in nautre, views, sounds, smells, brain therapy, strengthening immunity and radio is SOTA.

at least 100m of elevation is something.

Good driving guys…!

73 Ivica 9a6cw

1 Like

Hi
It is possible to walk a little more … It gives more health!

Gomes CT1HIX

This is the answer!
" I carry my full equipment and my car is far enough not to be ashamed !"

73 Gomes CT1HIIX

2 Likes

So how do chasers fit into SOTA then?

As the saying goes, “you do you” but the number of drive up summits is so small as to describe this whole thread as much ado about nothing. If you ever end up in a wheelchair, I hope you take advantage of the inclusive nature of SOTA to continue to activate.

The rules are clear and the guidelines often mentioned of the car must be able to drive away and the activation can continue is a good guideline. If you wish to make things harder for yourself, go right ahead, but don’t waste time arguing that others are not doing SOTA just because it doesn’t align with your view on what is SOTA.

7 Likes

Well, that’s exactly what I said I was thinking of a healthy young man as activator !!!

1 Like

My good friend and SOTA buddy MI0JST used to frequently say when we were on a long walk for an activation, “is this hiking with ham radio OR is it ham radio with hiking”

Either way, I wish the Covid restrictions would go away so I can get back to doing some activations.

Victor GI4ONL

4 Likes

Me too Victor. In the meantime, just get out for some great hikes but don’t bother with the radio. Your home region - GI/SM - doesn’t have too many places that are busy parking spots where contact with others is much of a risk - so get out there and enjoy those hills.

Hmmm… (S)ummits (O)n (T)he (A)ir.

I see nothing that makes it anything other than operating from a summit. While the above mentioned things are good, there is no rule requirement that you partake in anything but the “radio” part of that list.

That being said, I have a friend who has COPD can’t can’t really walk more than 100 yards before having to sit down to catch his breath. Drive-ups allow him to participate.

Actually Tom, my home region is GI/AH.

Unfortunately I would have to break the Covid travel restrictions to visit any of the GI summits, with or without a radio!
Thankfully, because I live in a rural area, I can get plenty of walking exercise without having to drive anywhere.

2 Likes

In general, I think SOTA has something to do with reaching the summit with your own physical strength. And for me, SOTA is also something like sport.

Of course, this depends on the physical constitution of each individual - and everyone can only answer that for themselves.
But I also confess that I have already driven to the summit by car when there is a car park at the top and walked only a few steps.

I have used it to test different equipment in comparison, which I would otherwise never have carried up together… or simply to quickly get qrv for a short time after work before it gets dark.

73 Armin

2 Likes

Ah yes, Bushmills. For some reason I had in my head that you were more over Derry way.

Similarly, with the new guidance as of 5th January, I have no justification to go to SOTA summits, as (a) recreation cannot be a reason to travel, and (b) I can exercise easily from my home.

I don’t half miss it already - but at least my website is up-to-date, my QSLing is up-to-date, and I have no remaining excuses to avoid the long-awaited big shack sort out and tidy up!

Which should be good - because then I’m going to buy myself a new radio to put in it!

SOTA-logo

I see

4 Likes