Car activation

Should be perfectly fine if the vehicle is fitted with SOTA Offroad rims.

Ahoi
Pom

6 Likes

Well there’s something special. Is there a copyright issue here?

Ron
VK3AFW

:grin:
I see they also offer a SOTA off-road, rehab, death metal version for €497. All my needs and interests catered for in one easy purchase!

I have 4 very rusty steel wheels on my offroad vehicle. I was going to sell it as it is getting old and costly to keep running and I did a massive 300miles in it last year. I only did 2500miles in my car in 2020 which is down a lot from normal. I used to do enough that I had a 15000mile limit on the insurance. I got an nice saving on the insurance for this year dropping it down somewhat.

Anyway, it’s just as well I have the pickup still as the car even with AWD, an auto box and summer tyres would be challenging to get out of our road today. Started the pickup for the first time since November, I cycled the glow plugs 3 times and it was a little slow to turn over a 2.5D 4 pot but it started after about 5 secs of cranking. Clouds of soot and crud out of the back (no DPF on 2008 diesels) a few minutes to warm up, drive lever into 4wd high and I took Mrs. FMF to work as she has mound of post Brexit custom forms to deal with today. Roads had been gritted but had seen so little traffic with the lockdown even had I got around the bend and up to the main road it would have been “fun” in the car with big wide low profile summer tyres.

1 Like

Just for interest:

TI2/AB3G (Costa Rica DX SOTA) on TI/SJ-039 Alto Cerbatana 1226m, 8 point summit wkg EU today on 14 MHZ - looks to be a drive on summit. Nothing like that in the UK!

73 Phil G4OBK

There are a LOT of drive-ups in California. And there are a lot
of really serious mtns here, too. It’s amazing how many satellite
pictures I look at that show many buildings/towers/antennas on top
of the hills. Sometimes a few cars parked around those sites, too.
Lots of high-level communications sites in them thar hills!
John
K6YK

I can barely hear the Costa Rica station here. Just a whisper in the
noise part of the time, but I can sure hear all the Europeans and
others calling him!
K6YK

FWIW…There are a few “Drive-up” summits here in New Mexico. A couple of them are a 300-400 miles round trip just to get to them. My SOTA hiking partner and I have our our own personal rule is that we have to hike far enough away so we cannot see the vehicle. Some of these drive-ups really push the limits of my Subaru. So for me, that’s all part of the “fun”. As stated before, I think we need the drive-up summits just so that folks with some type of disability, no matter what, can also be included in the enjoyment of SOTA.
Tim - K5DEZ

3 Likes

Give your Toyota a service and a good wash Andy. Remove the rust and paint the wheels. You should be good for 400,000 km with a bit of care. It’s not old. Or buy an R70.

Ron

Hi Tim,
Well I don’t know about making the activator rules fit the abilities of the ancient. They can always chase. That or making doilies will be my fate soon enough.

We have unsealed roads and tracks in our mountains as I’m sure you do. A suby might find itself stuck on a spoon drain or bottomed out in deep wheel ruts on many of our tracks.

The suby is a much nicer drive and handles very well. My Toyota drives like a truck but gets me to the top.

Ron
VK3AFW

I’m old timer and I respect old rules:

These are not old rules. These are the rules now, and have always been the rules.

The distance covered in that “final access” is deliberately not defined. Therefore, if it is possible and legal to drive right up to a summit, you can. The “final access” will be the steps you take from your car to your operating position. No part of your station may be connected to your vehicle.

This allows some inclusivity to the programme, where persons with disability or other limited mobility may join in as an activator, from the relatively small number of summits that can be driven to. Of course, many participants will prefer to park their vehicle further away and enjoy the benefits of the extra exercise.

5 Likes

If you step out of the car and start activating the summit - where is “person powered” access to the summit? 10m walk is not hiking.
Then you must edit rules.

Why not 10m?
Does it have to be 11m? or does it have to be 50m? or 100m? or 500m? or 5000m?
Please, let’s try not to be ridiculously purists. Thank you!

5 Likes

Hiking is a long, vigorous walk, usually on trails or footpaths in the countryside.

No, my friend! The program tries to give opportunities. There are many people with physical problems and the only way to get the summit is by car. You only choose your own style, not the style of others.
Take it easy!

2 Likes

That rule will not be edited, it is worded that way after much - and I do mean much - discussion.

There is nowhere in the current rules that requires “person powered” access to the summit. There are rules that require you to move away from your vehicle, also the rules say that you can ride a bike or ride a horse or some other animal to the summit. If one exists you can use a funicular, a gondola, a ski lift, or even a gold-plated escalator, as long as you move clear of them to operate! If there is a cafe or bar within the AZ you can sit comfortably sipping your coffee or beer whist activating, as long as you are not sitting comfortably in your vehicle! Note that the very first paragraph of the General Rules states the aim of enabling participation in the programme to be as wide ranging as possible. The average age of radio amateurs is steadily increasing, we should all aspire to a healthy old age, enjoying the outdoors should be an important part of that, so it is right and proper that there should be some summits so accessible that those rich in years or suffering disability can still enjoy SOTA on them.

SOTA was never intended to be just for strong walkers or skilled mountaineers - just ask the founders!

4 Likes

Im not against, Im just saying that ‘person powered’ and ‘all equipment must be carried by you to the summit’ might be left out. That is my opinion.
Hny and best sota to you all.

Hi, Bojan @S52FT

With a hip prosthesis (the second is coming soon), a heart attack and 3 stents, I surely missed the ascent of the Annapurna, even if I have done sports all my life!
I am very happy to be able to find summits with easy access, and by respecting the basic rules I can do SOTA, I carry my full equipment and my car is far enough not to be ashamed !
I wish you very good health so that you can take a very long walk to reach your goal each time. I do with what I have left and I’m very happy !

73 Éric

6 Likes

Dear Eric.

As I wrote before, I’m not against just rules aren’t logical to me.
Wish you all the best with your health.