BBC1 Countryfile 6pm Sunday (Part 1)

I think that if SOTA had been about 40 or 50 years ago when I was at the peak of my activity in the hills, but also a ham, I would not have bothered with it - the attitude was get to the summit, touch the trig point, take a few photos, then off to the next summit! I see much the same attitude today in the young and highly active members of the local climbing club. I wouldn’t expect SOTA, with long dwell times on the summit, to appeal to them - its more for the older guys!

1 Like

That’s only one style of activating. Others are available, and in common usage - including the one at the other end of the spectrum - touch the trig, handheld, 4 contacts, onto the next summit.

4 Likes

I’d have to agree with Tom on this one Brianl Multi-summit days appeal to me a lot. I’ve been known to complete an HF activation in 20 mins, from arriving at the summit to moving off to the next one.

Then there’s those sunny warm days when it’s nice to hang out for an hour or two…

6 Likes

This also depends on how many chasers are by the radio! And conditions… I tend to do multiple summits in a day, and love to work everyone. Timing is always slightly different on every summit.

4 Likes

Just watched on iPlayer, great job by all concerned, thanks :+1:
Adrian
(old bloke with a shed)

5 Likes

My brother sent me this photo of his attempt to watch the feature last night. It seems not everyone was impressed with the coverage…

9 Likes

Well done Tom and others,
A very positive contribution saying all the right things in a very short time frame.
That was just the right sort of message well delivered.

Congratulations to the MT
David
G0EVV

6 Likes

Also known as “smash and grab” activations! Not my preferred m.o. but I remember once spending over an hour once on Lord’s Seat to get four contacts using four bands during major ionospheric storm conditions!

Some of my best memories are like that - I once did SC Gully on Stob Corrie nan Lochan and at the top it was warm sunshine so we went to the summit and sunbathed. Gradually a couple of dozen other climbers joined us, until someone broke it up by remarking “The Clachaig should be open soon”! Anyway, you and Tom aren’t old, just middle-aged! :wink:

2 Likes

Age is but a number. It can be totally unrelated to the ability to get up hills. What is encouraging is to see that we have quite a wide age range in SOTA, whereas many clubs have only older licencees attending.

As for the MO, I enjoy both rushing around several summits a day every bit as much as spending half a day on a single summit. It depends on the occasion.

4 Likes

Well done to everyone. Sounds as if it went well (apart from a certain amount of waiting around on cold summits!). Sorry I was unable to take part as promised but glad to say I have found that a friend has, by chance, recorded the episode so we will be able to watch it (and the horses!) in due course. Thanks to all - especially if it means that more people will be listening out for us - or will guess what we are doing if they arrive on the same summit.
Viki

4 Likes

I thought this was great, a shame the groundwave comment got through without anything on atmospheric propagation, but it’s an incredibly minor point. That’s editing and timekeeping for you!

I’m sure we’ve all had people ask us about stuff like this when we’re operating. Sometimes it’s the general public and sometimes it’s a member of the public who is already fairly techy (may not need much of a push to get them “in”!). I believe some folk have leaflets to hand out to explain things. Indeed, we have one on the OARC.uk wiki adapted from something seen on Twitter.

2 Likes

Going back nearly two decades, a leaflet was produced that activators could print out and hand out to folks on summits - but this strategy was sensibly withdrawn as it risked causing litter - with our name all over it!

3 Likes

We could have a laminated QR code with us, and allow interested parties to scan that if they wish, point to a pdf or better yet, a well produced YT video, “Introduction to SOTA”

1 Like

I’m sad to say that over 75% of the recent people who have asked me what I am doing do not know of radio as a hobby. They (often in late 40s early 50s) have no understanding and have never heard of radio hams/amateur radio/ham radio. Many have never heard of CB.

People come over when they hear Morse but less often when they hear speech. Being able to get a 13cms signal 100s of km is more fascinating to them when you say it’s the same frequency as Wifi and ask them if they can fill their house with Wifi never mind get it to go 100km.

2 Likes

I’ve met very few who have any idea what amateur radio is. Those that claim to know think it is just receiving signals from aircraft. However, once I tell them I have contacted people on summits around Europe they do seem to be genuinely impressed. “Cool” was the last response.

3 Likes

I’ve read it and I think it’s too detailed for the vast majority of walkers who will never read it. But hand it to any busy-body estate worker to show you’re not up to no good.

I regularly get asked what I’m up to do and I prefer to give a brief upbeat sentence as an answer. Most are very impressed. If they ask a supplementary question, great, but make it short. Tell tale signs of information overload are eyes glazing over and backing away slowly.

2 Likes

Your wife too Andy? :wink:

I agree, the initial response is generally best kept brief. I can always add more information if they show interest. A QR code leading to online info might be an idea these days.

1 Like

We have discussed the use of QR codes in this thread

My example codes are here

I prepared them in English and Spanish for my trip to EA5 last year … only problem, we didn’t meet anybody on the three summits we activated, what a bummer :unamused:
Luc ON7DQ

2 Likes

Very insightful. In her case the reaction is often more extreme becoming so soporific her head drops into her breakfast bowl of cereal.

4 Likes

Andy
My wife does that if I mention anything about SOTA or Amateur radio.

In fairness she’ll tolerate a full sentence before nodding off :joy:

Dave

3 Likes