BBC1 Countryfile 6pm Sunday (Part 1)

Thanks @MM0EFI Fraser, we all had a part to play and for going in blind, in my opinion we did it well :+1:

I had been travelling and on the island for over 14 hours before being interviewed. God knows how many coffees I drank that day! Hi

Well done to the team :+1:

5 Likes

It was a tad odd. I just tried to operate exactly as I do from home and forget anyone was around.

2 Likes

OK, let’s put this to bed here and now, as it’s unfair on Ben.

Here’s the extract from the UK Amateur Radio Licence:

“3(4) Only where this Licence is a Full Licence may the Licensee permit a non-licensed
person to send a Message using the Radio Equipment provided that the Radio Equipment is
operated by the Licensee.”

The radio equipment was operated by Ben GW4BML. He remained sat at the radio, in control of the station while supervising Matt and Ellie to pass greetings messages.

It could be argued that the word “operated” needs detailed broken down definition in the licence document, to deal with things like touching the microphone, pressing the PTT etc. However, it doesn’t, so there’s really no need for us to be doing that on discussion forums. Ben was operating and supervising, Ellie and Matt were passing greetings messages. End of.

11 Likes

Hi @M0MZB Matthew, thanks for the kind words. The radio was in VOX mode when I passed the mic over - that’s what I’m doing on the transceiver when passing the mic over as I expected Matt and Ellie to both talk at the same time. So I’m controlling it by pressing the VOX button.

73, GW4BML. Ben

4 Likes

Hi Tom, I agree with your statement, but I made sure I’d put my radio into VOX operation as I passed the mic over. I was expecting Matt and Ellie to both talk at the same time. So, I was fully in control of my radio :blush:

3 Likes

Just pulling your leg. I only mention it because, given the nature of most of us here, I was amazed nobody else did.

Pleased it all worked out, and I really glad to see amateur radio given a positive, enthusiastic view by both presenters

2 Likes

Thanks Matthew. To be fair, the camera men said Matt Baker really enjoyed it! You can actually tell by his face that he was having a ball. So yes, very good publicity.

4 Likes

Not the case however.

3 Likes

It’s now on the iPlayer and available to watch on demand.

I’ve just watched the SOTA segment again. Ben actually doesn’t just say “2 metres”, but says “2 metres VHF, line-of-sight”.

I’ve had a lot of positive comments from non-radio friends in the hours since the broadcast - and that’s the main thing really - showing AR / SOTA in a positive light to the uninitiated.

6 Likes

I’ve just pulled up this thread and quite frankly I was somewhat disappointed with some of the comments made. I thought the item was absolutely brilliant and totally true to the spirit of what SOTA and amateur radio is all about. Very well done to everyone involved. :grinning:

Oh… and I’ve been asked several times while activating a summit with the 5 element up on the pole whether I was on 2m. There’s more people out there that know something about amateur radio than we realise.

12 Likes

Well done to all concerned!

I’ve been in Devon for the weekend, I tried to watch live (ish!) via iplayer on my phone in the car whilst travelling back, but we stopped at a service station when I was about 20 minutes into the show. It was then my turn to drive the car, so I’ve just finished watching the show at home on iplayer.

I enjoyed the segment about the Highland ponies, I was introduced to the breed by friends of the family and I rode their Highland called Sidlaw Ranger, Ranger for short. Ranger won best of breed at Olympia in the early 80’s. Ranger was such a gentle pony and was well schooled, he was an absolute pleasure to ride. I’ve ridden other Highland ponies and they’ve become my favorite breed. I last rode a Highland pony on the Isle of Mull and I have the ambition to go back and do it again, I haven’t been in the saddle for a number of years though! There’s a Highland pony at the riding school up the road from me and he was born at Tobermory on the Isle of Mull, I have been tempted to book a ride! :slight_smile:

Nothing but positive things to say about the amateur radio segment, it was great!

73, Colin

10 Likes

BBC / RSGB actually told me at the outset that they wanted to avoid the (in their words) “old man in a shed” stereotype.

The choice of participants I approached to persuade to take part was heavily influenced by this!

8 Likes

Anyway, I wonder who will be the first activator to be approached by a passer-by who says “Oh I saw people doing this on Countryfile”?

Please report it here if it happens to you :smiley:

9 Likes

I thought it was very good, well done to all who made it happen. Short and snappy :+1:

6 Likes

Never mind all this amateur radio malarkey….

Did any of you catch any fish?

:wink:. Well done all

5 Likes
20 Likes

Brilliant. Except that Bill and Peter are both representing “old men in sheds” characters. The video needed a screen contribution from Jenny really - and possibly Elsie. A great shame that neither made the final edit.

Kudos to the wardrobe department for Bill’s outfit - very well observed - almost as though they’ve been to rallies in person for research purposes.

3 Likes

Well played Richard!

Tom, the fact that a 51 year old white male (ie me) is seen as towards the younger end of the spectrum of hams/SOTA Ops, probably isn’t a great thing!

9 Likes

I’d keep quiet @MM0EFI Fraser - maybe Tom’s trying to say you don’t look your age :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Oh I didn’t mean you Fraser :wink:

I’m also a 51 year old white male. You and I represent the “active” and “not in a shed/shack” element. The age and gender diversity aims were more addressed by Ben and Gillian :wink: