Second NA<>EU S2S Event

Rain on my side of the pond. Even so, I’m quite looking forward to having fun Friday and Saturday. We’ll see what surprises we get.

That’s good to hear Kevin. The Met Office here are currently hedging their bets with a cover-all forecast:

"Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Some rain in the northwest on Saturday. Otherwise sunny spells and scattered heavy, possibly thundery, showers this weekend. Wet and windy in the north and west on Monday, drier elsewhere."

Looking more closely it gives the following for the Ulverston area:

Of course they haven’t factored in the presence of Paul and myself which means horizontal driving sleet, a wind chill factor making the temperature equivalent to minus 10C and squalls of 70 mph. Oh well, just like any other day on the hills… :wink:

I am really looking forward to this EU-NA s2s event! Had a great time on the last EU-NA event showing ham radio to a number of kids and adults who were impressed with the NA-EU contacts I was making right in front of them. Activating W1/AM-074 Streaked Mountain and am hoping for a successful activation as I will be at a lower elevation not requiring snow shoes! Of course this is Maine and we can get any kind of weather to include the horizontal driving sleet that may befriend Paul and Gerald on the other side of the pond!

I’m getting prepped for the first activation of the year, and hope this S2S event is as fun as the last one. Not doing anything too grandiose by taking an easy summit - W1/CR-015, Prospect Hill. Let’s hope the VOCAP predictions are not accurate! Looks pretty grim in that regard, but hey, it’s all about the fun of trying, right? Still pondering the antenna choice. Good luck to one and all!

Do you accept bribes to go somewhere else Gerald :wink:

I’ll be on a summit near Buttermere. Maybe dalehead, Robinson, grisedale pike, grasmoor.

Ask Jimmy to bring DC-008 on stream on Saturday and we’ll be heading southwards… The only other possibility would be to go up to GM which means a longer drive and a considerably longer walk. Not the best option in combination with several hours on the summit and lousy VFM. Just take your umbrella and you’ll be okay. :wink:

The WX looks grim on Saturday for everywhere from the border to Edinburgh Glasgow. I didn’t look North. I know there will be die-hards out but I always feel a bit disappointed when the WX doesn’t get with the plan.

It’s been raining here today and it looks like WX will be partly cloudy but dry on Saturday, so I’m planning to be QRV for the event from Mt. Ezkintza EA2/NV-148.
An old University mate of mine, which I had not seen since we finished our Engineering studies in 1989 and I crossed by chance at work when himself and another work mate guy of him came to my work regarding a tender we had open for an industrial related service they were willing to provide to the company I work for.
This was a big surprise and a very nice meeting. We exchanged phone numbers and we have seen each other and had lunch together a couple of times since then. After so many years not knowing anything about each other, we’ve been exchanging pieces of information about each other lifes, works, families and hobbies.
Right at this point of the hobbies, we surprisingly found that we both like and do some mountaineering and when I explained him what ham radio and SOTA is he felt very interested and we agreed that I would give him a call for him to come and join me for a SOTA activation.
The day has come and all is set for him to join me this Saturday for the NA<>EU S2S event.
I hope we will have a lot of fun and who knows, perhaps the SOTA bug will bite deadly on him and we will soon have a new ham and a new SOTA enthusiast.

I look forward to having several S2S and many QSOs on the log.

Guru

2 Likes

Nice try Gerald, but Hensbarrow Beacon G/DC-004 will remain until 31st August and Hensbarrow Downs will be valid from 1st September. I choose for the change over to happen then to give people enough notice so they can activate Hensbarrow Beacon G/DC-004 before it gets deleted and I don’t this it is a good idea to have Hensbarrow G/DC-008 valid as a SOTA summit until Hensbarrow Beacon G/DC-004 is deleted. I cannot bring this forward now anyway as I have admitted submitted the G Association update for this year back in March and I am only allowed one association update per year.

Jimmy M0HGY
G - Association manager

Looks like there’s going to be a good number of stations out looking tomorrow at the alerts so far.
I guess one or two of these may be coincidentally within the planned time block but most appear to be going out for the EU-NA S2S attempt - now we just need OK weather and good propagation conditions - here’s hoping!

Ed.

I hope propagation will help…
Because Wx will be not friendly here… ;(

73 de Pedro, CT1DBS

As a new SOTA participant, I plan to try my first activation on the 13th, likely between about 1400 and 1800 UTC. I will be traveling to new summit, SOTA Summits, in Caledonia, Prince Edward Island (Canada).

I believe this will be the first activation of this summit. PEI just became “SOTA blessed” on 1 April. This is a 1-point summit due to the lowness of the terrain here on our Island.

My setup will be an FT-817 at 5W into a Bandspringer antenna. I am planning mainly CW, although I will have phone capability. I also may pack my LEO satellite equipment for some passes if HF is ruined by poor propagation.

Hope to hear a few of you tomorrow.

Brent Taylor
VY2HF
Stratford, PEI, FN86+

Go here: SOTA Database and select VY2 from the association dropdown and you can see an overview of association summits and activity. Clicking the summit links lets you see detailed info on the summits.

There’s no logged VY2 activity yet, you may be a very popular station as chaser try and bag a new association!

1 Like

A little better for me on Laber tomorrow Pedro, (at least most of the snow that was there yesterday seems to have melted!) Here’s the actual operating position - about 3 metres above the snow line at 13oo UTC today (Friday)…

I can only be there between 1200 and 1300 UTC (Local 14-15:00) unfortunately - here’s hoping I can get across the pond, before we get a new pond on the top of the mountain from the rain!

73 Ed DD5LP.

You should know me by now Jimmy - such comments are always tongue in cheek.There was no intention of making a request to bring the date forward. I have a big wooden spoon… ask your Dad how big it is. :wink:

Great to have you on board Brent. If the signals aren’t going across the pond, then I certainly hope you make a good number of contacts on your side.

As for the WX, as they say “worry about the things that you can control and not about those you can’t”. That means, take your umbrella. :slight_smile: Right, back to packing…

73, Gerald G4OIG

Brent,
I will have 30 m and 40 m capability and will gladly jump there for an S2S if I see your spot.
73 and good luck!
/r
Mike NS1TA

Thanks, Mike! Yes, 40M may work over our path even in the afternoon. I’ll be willing to go as well. I also have Twitter @vy2hf and will see any tweets or direct messages in almost real time if you need to get a hold of me and have twitter yourself.

73!

Brent

Thanks, Gerald!

OK all understood Gerald.

Jimmy M0HGY