Second NA<>EU S2S Event

In case anyone is thinking of trying 60 metres EU/UK - US - the band could be a little busy at the US end -
Armed Forces Day Cross-band Military/Amateur Radio Communications Test is May 13

http://tinyurl.com/lkhjlxt

Never crossed my mind Ed. :wink: I donā€™t actually recall seeing an alert for 60m for activations in the US, but that is probably me rather than there not actually having been any.

With regards to NA alerts, it is early days yet. I have posted on the Nasota group to give those that donā€™t read this reflector the ā€œheads upā€ and will repeat the message nearer the time.

As an aside, I am now thinking of including datamodes for my activation on 13th May, so hopefully will be able to make some longer distance contacts using those modes if all else failsā€¦

Well Gerald I can confirm that 17m works between Muncaster Fell and USA. 10W SSB yesterday afternoon. Look forward to working you on it in a couple of weeks (weather permitting)

Following text included in this Sunday (May 7th)'s RSGB News Broadcast and podcast:

SOTA operators have planned their next Europe to North America ā€“ Summit to Summit activity for Saturday the 13th of May between 1200 and 1800UTC. Likely bands are 20m and 17m CW and SSB. Alerts of which summits are expected to be activated, plus real time spotting, will be available at sotawatch.org nearer to the date.

Many thanks Ed. Hopefully a few more activators will get their plans together during the week. If not, then it will be what it will be. I am certainly looking forwards to seeing what can be worked.

With regards to datamodes, I will probably give PSK31 a go and JT65. If I am able to self-spot, then I will indicate accordingly in the notes section. I certainly hope to work a few of the chasers that I have seen chasing Joao CT1BHG/P.

73, Gerald G4OIG

I would like to take part in the NA/EU event but Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m free. I donā€™t have an option for anything other than QRP - 5W max from FT817.

I was interested to see a number of RBN hits from NA during my activation on Wednesday. Given the ears that our NA friends tend to have, Iā€™m sure it would have been possible to have a QSO, just a shame it was so early in the morning EST. At first I was running about 300mW from my Birthday RockMite on 14.0584 (rig comes out just once per year on the special day!), then I switched to my MTR-5B at about 4W.

So despite 20m seeming extremely dead, it appears as though there was a pipeline to east coast US late morning.

At least I think thereā€™s a glimmer of hope for those taking part.

73, Colin

2 Likes

Hmmm, that is impressive Colinā€¦ and encouraging. I would say more than a glimmer of hope. We certainly donā€™t need another solar event this week.

The logged times are 1006z-1032zā€¦I alerted for 1100z on Saturday, I guess I better be ready a little earlier. Thanks Colin.

Very impressive Colin, considering band conditions at the moment. Its interesting that you were well received into the Nordic countries and Iceland as well as into the states.

As has been commented, your times are earlier than the planned activation times, and we know conditions are changing from day to day at the moment.
I hope to get out next Wednesday around the proposed activation times for Saturday - so Iā€™ll report back what I find. My report will be phone QSOs though as Iā€™ll be running SSB not CW, so my list may not be as impressive, although Iā€™ll be running about 20-25w - somewhat more than your 4W Colin, so it may be about equivalent to your RBN reports (but only if there are chasers there to work!).

73 Ed.

Mark / @NK8Q and I will be out on Saturday in W3ā€¦ not sure if Evan/ @N3TWM is able to join us too. Iā€™ll bring the FT857D for a bit more powerā€¦

We havenā€™t firmed up our first summit to launch an Alert but will be out thereā€¦

Richard // N2GBR

1 Like

VOACAP doesnā€™t suggest anything promising :((

I will be out well after the EU guys are off the summits. But Iā€™ll probably hit something up after work around 3PM eastern, not sure what yet. Some S2S action with anyone still out by then works for me.

I have plans in the afternoon and the current forecast calls for light rain in the morning, but Iā€™ll re-evaluate on Thursday and post an alert if things look good.

IFF scheduling and weather work out, Iā€™ll be at a local drive-up with my heavy gear. FT-857D, 28ah battery, Linux netbook with fldigi and WSJT-X, 40/20/15/10 EFHW, and maybe a Buddipole to accommodate other bands.

-Doug, ND9Q

Still a little bit early for a reliable weather forecast here (if that isnā€™t too much of an oxymoron in the Lake District), but weather looking ok so far for Saturday :blush:. Chance of rain coming in about 1500 UTC, so Iā€™ll probably be heading down by then. :crossed_fingers:

Iā€™ve found that when Lake District forecasts say it will rain, theyā€™re always pretty accurate (at least about the rain). :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve arrived in my continent of choice for this weekends event.

I just need the weather prediction to morph and eliminate the thunder and lightening aspect.

HB9/Paul

My planned summit is still under snow! and in the fog today - lets hope things improve before Saturday!

Ed.

Many thanks to all who have posted alerts for this event. The more the better, so anyone else who can join in will be most welcome. I am hoping that conditions will turn out to be better than predicted. The same goes for the WX in the UK. :grinning:

73, Gerald G4OIG

I am planning to be at W6/CC-071 Point Reyes Hill. This is on the Pacific Coast of Sonoma County, CA. A modest summit of 407 Meters that is easily to access. A view of the Pacific while contacting EU S2S sounds like it will be fun.

Sunday afternoon looks nice :confused:

Time to cross everything for Saturday :crossed_fingers: