Portable paddles (Part 1)

Steve WG0AT

Where do you source your Beryllium Copper? I use a Te-Ne-Ke key as well. My phone locks on to a Quadlock and locks solidly onto the clip board and my key is mounted on a clip board as well. It took me a while to adjust to the “no click” sound. I use the phone as a do it all (logger, spotter, etc.)

Ariel NY4G

5 Likes

Steve… I’m also a BeCU paddle builder, though not as prolific as @wG0AT .

My source is Digikey.com … Fingerstock I use most is Part number: 903-1405-ND though I also bought some: 903-1398-ND once.

I believe it’s been mentioned to be available on ebay from time to time as well.

Here’s a pic of my KX2 front mount paddle. 3d printed and with BeCU.
Tom - KB9ENS

6 Likes

I guess this is known but just as word of warning.
Beryllium copper as such is no risk but every mechanical operation that causes dust or fumes is a health risk.

Maybe finding a more suitable material that will not damage the lungs is recommended. We will need them for activating still.

73 and stay healthy
Joe

4 Likes

@OE5JFE

Hi Joe,
I think that CuBe alloy is safe, its dust is hardly airborne in case grinding or machining.
https://www.ngk-insulators.com/en/product/metal/beryllium/becu/no04/index.html

@KB9ENS

Hi Tom,
Really nice brew, I like your mounting method.

@NY4G

Hi Ariel
I prefer the 97-631 profile, the key gap can be easily adjusted by tensioning a screw or nut to the U-shaped clip at the distal end of this particular clip-on CuBe finger stock.

Dear all,
I have built few keys to avoid any excuse about my clumsy fingers.
So far I prefer the “steel tape”, unfortunately it doesn’t work on squeezing as the loop has no rigidity to control dih or dah.

73, Pascal

Edited for better explanation.

3 Likes

@OE5JFE Yes, thanks and fair warning to all… if you breathe BeCu dust it is quite hazardous. I divide my pieces with scissors and never file or sand any edges for that very reason.

2 Likes

Tom, Nice BeCU alternative KX2 paddle! I did something similar using an old KX2 paddle that refused to play well! …and a Cat 5 coupler that happened to be right size to act as a housing for BeCU paddle pieces Here shown close up.

On a SOTA summit in use. I find it very easy to use this
paddle with gloves since it takes a very light touch to send.

YES CAUTION Be advised BeCU is TOXIC avoid solder
fumes when soldering to it and dust from cutting or drilling BeCU!!

73, Steve/wGOAT

3 Likes

CuBe toxicity
Within my ham workshop limitation, it is almost impossible to generate any airborne of dust particle from drilling or grinding the CuBe stock finger.
It may be categorised as “low inhalation concern”, due to the breakdown particle is non -respirable or airborne, larger than 10 micron.

In contrast, Beryllium ceramic is highly toxic if using a Dremel rotary tool to grind or cut a pad insulator or an RF power device.
The dust is extremely fine and highly airborne, Inducing an inhalation hazard, that dust is carcinogenic.

https://www.who.int/ipcs/publications/cicad/en/cicad32.pdf?ua=1

At page 16, researchers released some data about machining beryllium copper.

A final post for this year, my QTH is surrounded by thick smoke from back burning to consolidate a defence line.

Risk of reusing oxydised finger stock

The oxyde from rusted surface is highly toxic and carcinogenic (powder appearance). Don’t need to drill, grind or high temperature burning, the carcinogenic substance is already unleashed by Mother Nature.
Do dispose them accordingly to local regulation, Dih Dah it with your fingers is a disaster. Beryllium Oxyde is a no go zone.

3 Likes

Hello Friends,
here is my Schurr mounted at an old knee holder - former used wid a Junker…002

1 Like

And another equipment - the KX3 wid the Begali - also vy usefull every time.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I ordered this cheap one for my FT-817nd, UNI-715 can be ordered for right or left handed.

73 Éric

2 Likes

A typical paddle weighs more than my entire SOTA set-up. I used the pico-palm and it was satisfactory to me. Making paddles is just plain fun, though requires the time and a little handiness to do so. Here are a few that I have made:

Built into a dental floss case, plugs directly into the key jack and uses the radio for its weight. The metal wedge on this one fits into the seam between the clamshell case of the MTR3…

Wiring is inside two pieces of cocobolo wood that were glued together, attaches to the side of the MTR radio with magnets.

another that similarly attaches to the side with magnets.

This is a portable BUG made by WB9LPU in a balsawood carry case I made for it. Altogether still only a few ounces. Dits are produced by magnetically actuated reed switches, such that, the bug doesn’t have to be level and still to produce acceptable dits. I have used it on SOTA activations.

73, fred KT5X (aka WS0TA)

5 Likes

Hi Friends,

My paddle numer one is Palm Pico.
I use it from end of 2016 year and on its count is almost 1000 activations.
Unfortunately it started to “tell” me that its time is coming to end, small plates responsible for contact with paddles are already deformed what cause transmitting errors.

2 years ago I bought as spare one 3D printed paddle from hamshop.cz
Used it one time for test and decided that it is fine for me.
Unfortunately after two years it is deformed like this:

I just carry it with me, nothing more …

To encourage it to work I needed to set big distances between contact elements.

This experience advises me not to consider 3D printed paddles anymore.
For the moment I think about this one as basic one (pico will be spare one): BaMaTech - Feinmechanik - BaMaKeY TP-III - ultra compact twin paddle key - red

Do you know any smaller or lighter that may be appeared during time from last posting here ?

Of course the paddle must have long life enough :wink:

73, Jarek

7 Likes

Hi Jarek

Go for it and you will never regret even if it represents a certain investment. Maybe Santa can help :wink:

73, Éric

5 Likes

Hi Eric,
Letter to Santa is sent :wink:
73, Jarek

6 Likes

:+1: :wink: that is a good news Jarek 73

Since I use a KX2 on mountain tops the Elecraft paddle that attaches to the side of the radio would work. However they are very proud of that paddle. (That’s a southern way of saying it’s too expensive.) There is a kit, I think from qrp guys for an equivalent paddle that costs much less. Mostly that’s what I use but I also have a paddle made from a rewired computer track ball. It’s very light, rugged, backpack friendly and fits my hand perfectly. I’m not into fancy paddles or keys. At home I use a broken hacksaw blade.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about anything paddle wise, but I did get a tp-iii a few weeks ago. I find it very nice and would recommend it. I use it at home too, stuck under the rig. People say it’s not the cheapest, and they may be right, but it is solid, well made and worth it to me.

5 Likes

Hey Sean,

My portable back up paddle is the Radio adventure gear paddle Shop - Morsetasten und Amaterufunkzubehör für Draußen it’s a good paddle.

My main paddle is from Larry N0SA he called it the Sota Paddle but only made a small run of them you can check his qrz for the paddles and bugs he makes.

73 de VE6JTW

6 Likes

Hi Friends,

Before I said that my Palm Pico paddle worked in almost 1000 activations.
I checked my log and now I can tell it worked almost 20.000 QSOs

I will check respective statistics for Bama Tech paddle and let you know here after some time.

73, Jarek

8 Likes

Jarek, 2350 unique callsigns in your log worked with CW and your top 10 CW chasers are

NumChases OtherCallsign
633 EA2DT
552 DL1FU
522 SA4BLM
442 HB9AGH
410 IK2LEY
304 PA0B
295 DJ5AV
291 SM5LNE
275 G4OBK
247 SP9AMH
6 Likes