BaMaKey TP-III Morse Paddle

CW enthusiasts beware:

Markus DL6YYM will be able to deliver the new BaMaKey TP-III Morse Paddle from around the end of March 2021.

It is the successor to the well-proven TP-II version, for which there is a detailed experience report from David G3ZPF here:
http://www.g3zpf.raota.org/articles/BaMaKeyTP-II.pdf

Markus will also offer a special clamp as an option, with which the TP-III paddle can be attached to a flight deck, for example.

All details can be found on bamatech dot net (website language D and E).

By the way, for Swiss customers 19% VAT is deducted from the price … then only 8.1% VAT is charged for imports … so a win-win exercise, hi.

If you don’t know Markus DL6YYM yet, you can find personal information on qrz dot com/db/DL6YYM where you can also find the links to his personal website and Instagram.

Annotation
I have no business relationships with BaMa Tech.
We know each other quite simply since 04. Nov. 2015, when Markus chased me on SOTA HB/VD-025 Pointe d’Aveneyre.

17 Likes

Looks like a nice key.
vk5cz …

1 Like

Shipping costs to the US are painful, but I think I’m going to order one of these. What a beautiful little key.

Shipping makes it a no for me. :frowning: $50 to ship 3oz is outrageous. I just can’t bring myself to pay that.

Too bad there are no less expensive carriers available.

3 Likes

Cute and looks well made.

Cheers, Wal VK2WP

1 Like

Small package up to 2 kilos shipping Germany -> USA €8.89

That’s the cheapest - to add insurance (up to €50 value), add €4.

Large package at up to 5 Kilos (with tracking and insurance) is €36.99 (about US$45) - that’s what someone has looked at perhaps??

73 Ed.

P.S. Crikey this thing costs €155 so most likely it’s the shipping insurance that has ramped up the shipping price to US$50!

1 Like

If so, that’s insane! UPS and USPS costs around 1% for insurance. DHL appears to be charging upwards of 8%.

1 Like

Looking at this again, it’s not so much that DHL is charging exorbitant amounts for insurance, rather that the €37 (5 KG big package) includes up to €500 insurance, so instead of taking out separate insurance, BaMaKey have taken the easy option and paid for a MUCH larger capacity and weight than they need, just so they don’t have to book insurance separately.

€37 to ship a 5 kilogram package from Germany to the US, is not expensive. To ship 85 grams I agree it is!

As I said the two smaller package sizes can have insurance added but only up to €50 cover for €4 extra.

Actual shipping costs out of Germany are reasonable - a lot better than say out of Australia or the US - from my personal experience they are very expensive as soon as you want to ship internationally.

I would never ever use USPS for international shipping out of the US again - of three shipments, two were lost and the third took 4 months to get here.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

In any event, it’s a shame that the shipping is so exorbitant. :frowning: But, they are at the mercy of the shippers, tariffs, and such.

Too bad they don’t have a US domestic distributor. I know QRP Labs shipped a bunch of their kits over here en masse for distribution.

1 Like

The shipping for the weight isn’t exorbitant - it only appears that way because of the option chosen by the seller - why not email or call them and discuss if there are other options if you want to buy the key. :thinking:

I think we are all used to shipping being included with items from China and elsewhere that it comes as a shock when the seller asks so much for shipping.

I think you mean QRP Labs, not QCX labs - QCX is one of their products.

Here’s an idea - why not approach a ham radio dealer that you use in the States and ask them to approach BaMaKey about becoming a distributor? Bulk shipping quickly pays off as you say, Richard…

73 Ed.

Already sent an email to see how many keys can be shipped for the base shipping cost. I’m suspecting three if that covers 500 insurance. May see if a couple of other locals want to get together to help lessen the sting.

3 Likes

DHL also do customised cargo insurance. This may be a better option than just using the €37 5Kilo option for BaMaKey. By the way, does that name not sound like “Buy My Key” spoken by someone with an accent HI?

https://www.dhl.de/content/dam/images/pdf/dhl-transportversicherung-en-012020.pdf

73 Ed.

If you think that’s bad, I have been trying to order a 16 pin dil IC from the USA which costs $14 and they were charging $19 for postage…I declined the offer!

2 Likes

Hi,

“$50 to ship 3oz is outrageous”

We don’t have the same definition of this word !!

This is outrageous …
Mouser for one capacitor of 0.29€ price ask me that :crazy_face:

73 Éric

4 Likes

They gave some good options for a group buy.

3 keys can be shipped for the same as a single key
4-5 keys can be shipped for $30US
6-7 keys would be shipped for free

Now just to find some locals interested. If I could get enough interest, this could be something that would open up to CONUS. 6-7 keys with free shipping to me could be shipped to the end purchasers for $14 priority mail ($8 if they fit in a small box) plus a couple of bux for insurance, a good bit cheaper than the single key shipping from Germany.

6 Likes

In the meantime, the BaMaKey TP-III has proven itself very well for me and some SOTA colleagues.
It seems that the developer, Markus DL6YYM, has found the optimal solution for a portable keyer paddle in terms of size, robustness and precision of the levers.

BTW, Markus can be heard tomorrow Saturday from 0630-0930z from DLFF-0342. He will be QRV with 5 watts and a 40/30/20m EFHW antenna and looks forward to every call, even if it is not a TP-III to TP-III QSO, hi.

73, Heinz

5 Likes

But not advertised in his web

Antonio, EA4MY

Antonio,
Markus told me that he will be away until the end of June and that he will update his online shop when he returns.
So either have patience or make something suitable yourself :wink:

BaMaKey TP-III Morse Paddle the first use

Introduction

Since my very first radio days CW is my favourite mode. Trough the years I used lots of different keys, starting with “Straight Key”, then “Bug” Vibroplex style and for the last 30 years one venerable Bencher paddle is sitting on my shack table at home.

When started SOTA activations my choice was a Palm Mini key.

For me it was always easy to adapt and handle any kind of paddle, but since two years ago things got a little twisted when I was diagnosed of Parkinson´s disease.

Altough I keep it “controlled” with a normal and active life, gym practice, daily walks and specific exercises for the disease, I haven´t tremor, but things goes slower than before in the right side of my body…

New paddle choice

Lately I started to have sometimes troubles to run the Palm Mini accurately, it is an excellent key, but I was the problem! After a failed test with a key made by me I decided to search for a new one from commercial manufacturing.

Fortunately Heinz HB9BCB wrote in the reflector about BamaKey TPIII that was very inspiring for me. Then, after lot of read and comparison I decided to buy the model TPIII becuase it looks strong, small size, lightweight and afordable price.

I bought it online; the proccess was quick ,easy and accurate, but, the wait time to receive the paddle really seemed a bit long, altough it arrived together with some sweets that my wife enjoyed… Well done Markus , always is good idea make a XYL happy!!

The package just opened

In the meantime I asked Markus DL6YYM that I wanted to use my paperboard writing pad to fixed the paddle to it, he kindly and quickly answered me with some ideas to do it using the magnets in the back of the paddle… Nevertheless I finally fixed the paddle with two small screws taking advantage of a little thread free from locking screws in the back side of TPIII (see photos)

Screws detail (select the length according to the tickness of notepad material)

Back side of note pad with paddle in place

BaMaKey TP-III field experience

Once the TP-III was ready I only did a check at home to see if it worked properly with dot/dash in the correct side so I didn’t need any changes to the factory settings.

The first use of the paddle was during our recent activation of EA2/NV-053 Mt Malkasko together with my SOTA mate Ignacio EA2BD who was the one who made the first ever QSO with it working S2S with DM3FAM/P.

After him, I then had a long operation to feel a new grade of paddle with magnet tension that I never used before because all of my previous paddles were with return springs system.

TP-III is mechanicaly strong to withstand my new pounding style to run a paddle but instead has soft and precise touch, without “bouncing” effect that due my Parkinson´s I sometimes had with the springs ones.

In conclusion, I was more than two hours running CW without fatigue, enjoying the precise and comfortable paddle in a summit enviroment that sometimes, ergonomically speaking, is not the perfect place to practice the radio operation.

For me the best feature of this “small jewel” is the magnet tension technique and his rugged construction excellent for /P backpak use.

BaMaKeY TP-III in action

Finally

I have no business relationships with BAMa Tech.

I write this report only to offer my personal experience and satisfaction improving my handle capabilities while using the BaMaKeY TP-III as Parkinson´s patient.

To buy or not to buy it would be your own decision.

I want to express my gratitude for the patience of chasers/activators with my mistakes in handling the key and one more time, thank you Ignacio EA2BD for sharing with me the SOTA activations, it’s always a pleasure talking with you when hiking to the summits.

Thanks you very much to all of you who read this and see you on the bands.

73s

Jorge

EA2LU

18 Likes

Jorge,

My “quick and dirty” solution with a steel washer enables the angle of the paddle to be optimally adjusted from case to case and works perfectly for me.

• Steel washer ø 50/19 mm
  • 3M Scotch Extreme Fasteners (black, transparent), 25.4 x 76.2 mm

73, Heinz

12 Likes