Lake District

Hi All,

Me and my Dad M1EYP are planning to activate some SOTA summits in G/LD during the first week of the Christmas holidays.

We are planning to activate Tarn Crag G/LD-026 on Sunday the 20th of December, Grayrigg Forest G/LD-038 and Pike of Blisco G/LD-024 on Monday the 21st of December, High Raise G/LD-019 on Tuesday the 22nd of December, Lingmoor Fell G/LD-040 and Holm Fell G/LD-051 on Wednesday the 23rd of December.

I would like to know what the best route is to ascend High Raise G/LD-019, me and my Dad M1EYP found two possible routes to ascend G/LD-019, we would like to know what the best route is for this one.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

My favourite stroll onto High White Stones is to make a horsehoe walk
commencing from Grasmere.

Nip up to Easedale Tarn and then swing, just past the refreshment hut, onto Blea Rig. This affords some splendid views of the panorama of Langdale. A short pull onto Sgt Man and a simple stroll across the plateau onto High White stones.

Descend to Greenup Hause and toward Far Easedale, rather than descend into the valley follow the ridge to Helm Crag.

Of course there are many other routes but this is one of our favourites

In reply to M3EYP:

I take it Jack’s rake is out of the question?

We did Millbeck New hotel -> dungeon Gyll force -> Gimmer Crag -> Thunacar Knott -> High White stones -> Sergeant man -> Blea rigg -> Stickle tarn -> Millbeck. This is a steep route both ways but the views are excellent. If you get up early and the weather is good you might consider taking in the summits of Harrison Stickle and Pavey Ark en route. Navigating over the Langdale plateau can be challenging in hill fog.

I’d be tempted to come and join you if the weather is good.

Rick.

If the weather isn’t reasonable, we probably won’t bother ourselves Rick!

But that would be great, to join up with Thomas M3OOL and yourself for some quadruple activating!

Interestingly, I note that Jimmy and Thomas are locked together on 772 activator points. One of them will probably become SOTA’s youngest MG at some point!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi, Jimmy, wish I could join you but I will be in the Coniston area from the 29th instead.

The easiest route as I remember it is from Borrodale, from the campsite follow the good track on the north side of Stonethwaite Beck then up Greenup Gill to the col between Greenup Edge and High Raise. The track from the end of Langdale up to Stake Pass and then to High Raise is not too difficult, either, but a long walk from the parking at the Old Dungeon Ghyll. The most picturesque way is from the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel up to Stickle Tarn then northeast up to Blea Rigg and over Sergeant Man to High Raise. Coming back you could traverse around the west side of Pavey Ark and Harrison Stickle and follow the track down the west bounding ridge of Dungeon Ghyll. This route starts and finishes at a good pub and takes you safely through some impressively craggy country!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Jimmy,

Approaches from Langdale, Grasmere or Borrowdale are all nice routes. If I had to choose just one I’d probably opt for starting at New Dungeon Ghyll, as Brian says, the scenery rocks. Having said that, me being contrary I activated it in a similar route to that described by G6DDQ.
I would say that unless it drys up real quick (or freezes) Greenup Edge and particularly Brownrigg Moss (on the descent of the route described by G6DDQ) are likely to be doing a very good impression of a swamp. I was up there in early september and it was pretty wet there then.
Sure you’ll have a good day whichever route you choose, it’s a nice hill.

Iain, M3WJZ

Hi All,

Me and my Dad M1EYP have decided to the circular route starting at New Dungeon Ghyll to activate High Raise G/LD-019.

I was actually wondering what was the best route was on that circular route, but now I know that those 2 routes and be done as a circular walk.

I didn’t know about any of the other routes that were mentioned by Myke G6DDQ and Brian G8ADD.

Please listen out for me and my Dad M1EYP when we activate High Raise G/LD-019 and some other G/LD summits we will be activating over Christmas.

Jimmy M3EYP

Listen folks, don’t take any notice of all this “Me and my dad have decided…” stuff! Only one of us is planning and deciding all this, while the other one (me) is just going to do as he is told… :wink:

Tom M1EYP (just sneaking this post in while Jim is at Explorer Scouts)

Looking at a circular route from New Dungeon Ghyll, and incorporating up to 8 WOTA (Wainwright) summits, of which just one is the SOTA summit High Raise G/LD-019.

The route is NDG - Blea Rigg - Sergeant Man - High Raise - Thunacar Knott - Pavey Ark - Harrison Stickle - Pike of Stickle - Loft Crag - NDG. Obviously, that will need to be changed or shortened in the event of snow.

Photos I have seen of the descent route from Loft Crag to the NDG look rather exposed. But there are two paths on the map - one down Mark Gate and one down by the side of Thorn Crag. Which is the safest for an end-of-day descent?

Alternatively, the order of the Langdale Pikes could be switched to Thunacar Knott - Pike of Stickle - Loft Crag - Harrison Stickle - Pavey Ark, and then taking the Bright Beck path down to Stickle Tarn.

Alternatively, I could go clockwise as opposed to anti-clockwise. Thoughts?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I don’t remember there being any great exposure at any point on this route - under normal conditions. Of course the wrong type of snow has the potential to change things completely.

I’d generally favour going up the steepest way first but the anti-clockwise route seems fine to me - giving more time to look at the views.

Rick

In reply to M1EYP:

These questions can only be answered on the day, Tom. Is there snow, what sort of snow is it, are there sheets of ice across the path, are the rocks verglassed, how high is the freezing level? Fortunately the weather conditions are posted at various points including the bar of the Old Dungeon Gyll…and they do good meals, too, the Chilli Con Carne always vanishes fast, and there will be several real ales! So, you have somewhere to go if the conditions are impossible…and if in doubt discretion is the ONLY part of valour!

What I will suggest is that if there is snow you will likely have freezing conditions at the end of the day, in which case take the easier angled descent even if it adds significantly to your mileage.

Brian G8ADD

Brian,

The ODG is closed for Christmas from the 20th of December. But it seems the NDG will be open. I think I will go for the clockwise route Brian, and if the initial ascent takes too long, I’ll ignore all the Wainwrights and just push onto the SOTA summit. I have also identified a couple of useful escape routes, neither of which involve Jack’s Rake hi!

Rick,

Are you still thinking of maybe joining us for this round? You and Tom would be more than welcome. Let’s exchange mobile numbers if it is still a possibility.

Tom M1EYP

Cancelled - for now.

One concern was the hard overnight freeze, leaving thick ice on untreated roads. The forecast for the LD gave considerable worry about using minor upland roads - like the road to Sadgill for Tarn Crag, and Wrynose Pass - for accessing the fells. It was difficult enough getting the car off my own road this morning.

Added to this, once on the M6, Jimmy was reporting a worsening sore throat and a blocked nose. The judgement call had to be that we abandon. At least I had already been cautious and not yet booked any accommodation.

So after 45 minutes of outward driving, and another 45 returning, it was all over! Jimmy and I had the Clam Chowder soup for breakfast!

We will maybe bag the intended summits over a couple of weekends, or on a longer trip around Easter time.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Hi Tom and Jimmy, I know your frustration in having to cancel.

I was intending to do a Smash & Grab from SP-004 for S2S’s but WX not good.

I am however pleased you had your Health and Safety Head on, as in the past on here we all say: the summit will be there for another day.

Best wishes to you and Jimmy for the season,hope to catch you soon

Tony

In reply to M1EYP:

Very sorry to hear about the cancellation Tom. I read your frustration and empathise big time!

Best wishes for a swift recovery Jimmy - get well in good time for Christmas. Perhaps you can bag something over the holiday period by way of compensation for you both.

73 and Seasons Greetings,

Gerald

Hi Gerald and Tony,

Thank you for your comment. We hope to do some activating over the Christmas holidays. I’m not badly ill so I will be better soon. I hope to overtake Gerald G4OIG and Paul G4MD and Tom M3OOL in activator points soon.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

A wise decision Tom. Here in NE Lancs, it rained slightly late on last night, then froze, then snowed slightly. The net result is that you step out of the front door onto a very thin layer of snow, hit the sheet ice, and go head over heels immediately. It is absolutely LETHAL on all the side roads in this area and as I write it is snowing yet again.

Mike G4BLH

Hi Mike,

The snow is bad here in Macclesfield. It snowed heavily yesterday evening which made the roads icy. This morning the roads were more icy so it is a good job we didn’t go the lake district as most of the roads there are probalbly icy as well.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

A wise decision to cancel Tom. Heavy overnight snow here on the East coast, on top of frozen snow. Now moving South.

73 Roy G4SSH

Hi Roy,

The snow here is worst now than what is was before. The main roads here are unsure safe to drive on. They were OK before.

Jimmy M3EYP