Ham Radio 2017

To those who will come to Friedrichhafen in 2017
The German versiuon is at the end!
I look forward to seeing you once again at the third SOTA information session at Ham Radio.
Juerg Regli, HB9BIN

SOTA at Ham Radio Friedrichshafen 2017
For the third year in a row, for 2017 at Ham Radio Friedrichshafen there will be an information session devoted to SOTA, again organized by Dr. Juerg Regli HB9BIN. The SOTA mini-presentations will be held on Saturday July 15, 2017, in the “Österreich” meeting room from 2 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. This year Andy Sinclair MM0FMF will be unable to attend, so there will be no Q&A session with the SOTA Management Team at the session. The program is expected to consist of the following five mini-presentations of 15 minutes each, all in English, followed by time for questions.
• The latest developments of the KX2, KX3 and related products by Eric WA6HHQ, CEO of Elecraft
• Using the RBN for SOTA by Hans-Peter HB9BXE
• From paper logging to tablet logging – the VK3ZPF “VK port-a-log” Android app by Manuel HB9DQM
• Log4OM: Free logging software with full SOTA support by Daniele IW3HMH
• SOTA Cycling Tour DL–OE–I by Jakob DK3CW
• “Extreme SOTA” by Emil DL8JJ

VK port-a-log is a logging app for SOTA/WWFF activators. It runs on Android tablets and phones and makes it possible to efficiently log QSOs made during an activation. The log can be exported directly in SOTA or ADIF format, and spotting is possible from within the app. In this presentation, the features and use of VK port-a-log will be explained.

The Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) is a revolutionary new idea. Instead of beacons actively transmitting signals, the RBN is a network of stations listening to the bands and reporting what stations they hear, when they hear them and how well in dB. In this presentation we explain to SOTA enthusiasts the spotting scheme in general, automatic spotting via RBNHole, and the purpose of the RBN system. You will learn how to compare your signal with different antennas, what the SNR numbers mean and how to set up your own RBN.

Log4OM is free software developed by Daniel Pistollato IW3HMH for the complete management of the station log. The application is developed in C# and is compiled to run on any Windows operating system from XP and above (Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10). Log4OM is designed to be easy to understand as well as easy to adapt to the requirements of the individual. With Log4OM you have full SOTA support.

Inspired by winning the SOTA Cycling Week competition in 2016, I set off with my ham-bicycle from Frankfurt, Germany, heading for the Alps to accomplish an almost human-powered approach and activation of distant SOTA summits. My first stop was East Tyrol, where I managed to activate four summits, two of them first activations. Climbing, hiking and cycling were shaped by challenging, unsettled wx condx from 35 °C in the shade to −4 °C and 15 cm of snow – but excellent propagation condx. I did another another first activation in the Dolomites on the Italian-Austrian border before I returned to Munich via Bruneck, the Brenner Pass and Innsbruck.

SOTA an der Ham Radio 2017
Zum dritten Mal finden an der Ham Radio 2017 unter der Leitung von Dr. Jürg Regli, HB9BIN, die SOTA-Kurzvorträge am Samstag 15.7.2017 von 14:00 bis 15:45 im Raum “Österreich” statt. Da Andy Sinclair, MM0FMF, dieses Jahr an der Messe nicht teilnehmen kann, findet kein Erfahrungsaustausches mit dem SOTA-Management statt. Das Programm sieht folgende fünf englische Kurzvorträge von 15 Minuten mit einer anschliessenden Fragerunde vor.

• The latest developments of the KX2, KX3 and related products by Eric WA6HHQ, CEO of Elecraft
• Using the RBN for SOTA by Hans-Peter HB9BXE
• From paper to tablet logging – the VK3ZPF “VK port-a-log” Android app by Manuel HB9DQM
• Log4OM: Free logging software with full SOTA support by Daniele IW3HMH
• SOTA Cycling Tour DL–OE–I by Jakob DK3CW
• „SOTA Extrem“by Emil DL8JJ

3 Likes

To those who will come to Friedrichhafen on Saturday July 15, 2017, in the “Österreich” meeting room from 2 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.

Here is the final agenda:

See you at the Ham Radio es 73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

I’m sorry I wont be able to attend this year, the first time in 16 years I’ve not been. Anyway, I hope the meeting goes well and everyone enjoys themselves.

Hi,

Have been searching in the play store, not finding VK port-a-log. Geussing it awaits the premiére in Friedrichshafen.

Frank
ON6UU

Hi Frank
you won’t find it in the play store! Look at the Yahoo Group of VK port a log.
vy 73 de Matt HB9FVF

Details of VK port-a-log can be found at VK port-a-log | VK3ZPF Ham Radio Blog

1 Like

Great to see lots of people at the QSL wall at 1200 today. Great talks later on too.

Dear SOTA Friends
The presentations of the 3. SOTA meeting 2017 at the Ham Radio Friedrichshafen are uploaded on the website of HB9SOTA.
https://hb9sota.ch/hb9sota-hamradio/
73 de HB9BIN, Jürg

1 Like