Cracoe Fell

In reply to M3XLG:
Hi Chris
First of all congratulations to you and Scott on the first activation.
I am not admin but i’m afraid computer systems are very unforgiving.
At the moment it appears that G6MZX using the Crag call was first - this is patently wrong. I think this database anomaly is well known.
As you see earlier in the thread I asked when the activation would appear on here, but I fear the same thing will occur. If, however, you look at the bottom of each page there is a link to ‘change log’ in which Jon has set a ‘to do’ of first activation by time.
I fear that this will not solve your problem as one of you will have activated first.
I hope, but don’t expect, that something can be done, but we all know you were equal first in spirit.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG: We have not submitted our logs yet because we would like to see if they can sort it out for us…

I run a site of my own and know it is possible but maybe they need someone at the top to help with this request…

In reply to M3XLG:

This is the sort of thing that you need to post to the webmaster about: click on reply, look at the bottom of the page, and click on webmaster. Its much too advanced for me!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4OWG:

look at the bottom of each page there is a link to ‘change log’ in
which Jon has set a ‘to do’ of first activation by time.

Of course to compound matters, is it the first QSO or the first qualifying 4th QSO that the database selects? I suppose the former as an activation is not a qualification if insufficient QSOs are made - you can still log it for zero points. So technically to bag being the first to activate a new summit, you could be on at the stroke of midnight GMT, make one QSO and leg it… definitely not in the spirit!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

It is the former Gerald. If you look at High Rigg (LD-044) you will see I was first with only 3 contacts - I certainly legged it as I watched the lightning strike ground less than a mile away :slight_smile:

In reply to M3XLG

I would re-enter your log Chris the problem is a database rule problem, at the moment it appears to take the day and then works down callsigns in level order.

Roger G4OWG

Just a question for the admin team (Jon) - is there any reason why Thorpe Fell Top remains in the summits list or is this just an oversight? I assume it will disappear from immediate view, but be kept in the “archives” as per Horse Head Moor NP-021 last year.

73, Gerald

Hi Gerald,

It is because Jon, to save time, manually added Cracoe Fell to SOTAwatch, rather than initiated a full synch/update from the Database. This, as you have observed, has resulted in the ‘no longer valid’ summit being dealt with in a different way to previous instances.

Personally, I would like to have all ‘old’ summits still visible in the lists, but marked as ‘old’ in some way (italics?). That’s just my own view though.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Thanks for the explanation Tom. I agree with your thoughts on the “old” summits being visible, but it could cause confusion to those new to SOTA who don’t know the history. Best leave as is I think.

73, Gerald