Cracoe Fell

Looks like myself and Scott 2e0rcs is doing Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 tonight at Midnight. Also just spoken to G4MD/P on a summit who is also doing Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 at midnight sounds like a party at midnight…he he. Oh and I live 7miles out of skipton and it horrid weather up here. Windy and buckets of rain… Anybody else…?

In reply to M3XLG:
Good luck Chris will try to stay awake to work you all :slight_smile: But its so cosy and warm in my shack it might be difficult.
Don’t forget it’s not a valid summit until 00:00z that’s 01:00 local time.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG: you mean 1AM…? hope they all know that…!

I wonder if it’s worth reminding them when the appear on NP-025 !

I may not be available for either of them I’m due elsewhere at 1830 and may not be back until after 2100 and I really need to get an early night.

In reply to G0LGS: So come on then all these times utc , gmt , local ect ect… Its 1am the same time as on SKY TV… Well we can get BBQ going for all when they get up there…he he. Thinking about taking 7ele ZL Special…
May need it as there will be nobody up at 1am…

In reply to M3XLG:
Chris GMT/UTC/Zulu(z) are all the same and one hour behind local BST (or as you put it SKY time). I’m sure Gerald and Paul are aware of this as I think they mentioned it this afternoon from either Longridge or Easington. So its 1am by your watch.
I am sure there will be plenty on at the appointed hour - its just a shame no-one is doing 4m-FM :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

ps before astro/particle-physicists point out the miniscule differences betweem UTC and GMT I’m trying to adopt the KISS principle.

In reply to G4OWG: Yeh cool… Its nasty weather up here… But has stopped raining for now… It will be building up for later…he he… Who else is going ?

In reply to M3XLG:
Chris

I’m 15 miles east of Cracoe and at moment sun is shining and blue skies. The movie on UK rainfall radar map - Met Office
shows a very narrow band of rain over Skipton area which should not last long. My prediction (famous last words) is it is more likely to be frosty than wet. But Sharp Haw tomorrow? glad i’m not Gerald :wink:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Gawd, you lot are mad keen, or should I just miss out the “keen” part!

The least I can do is be up for you, if my voice sounds a bit hushed, remember my shack is upstairs next to our bedroom and a sleeping XYL, I lose brownie points if I wake her up! I’ll turn up the mod a bit.

Anyone trying five megs? The Yanks and Carribean should be appearing by then!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

First of all Congratulations to Chris and Scott for the first activation of Cracoe Fell NP-032, especially under such difficult conditions. Sorry that Paul G4MD and I could not join you, but as many know by now we were severely compromised both in terms of our clothing and equipment after our activations of Longridge and Easington Fells in extremely damp conditions.

Our intention had been to activate Thorpe Fell Top at 19:00z on 30th September followed by Cracoe at 00:00z, both accessed from Rylstone, but we decided it was not sensible to carry out this operation. We therefore just activated Thorpe Fell Top from Thorpe before heading back home, not wishing to risk pneumonia. Cracoe will be there for us another day.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
Wise move Gerald the rain and wind last night were horrendous - nice to work you on the other three.
As you can see from my forecast above I study the Michael Fish method of weather prediction :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OIG:
Thanks for the activations yesterday from Longridge, Easington & Thorpe Fell - my thoughts were with you both on the hills, as the WX here at just 18 ft asl was diabolical to say the least, let alone at much higher !!
You certainly made a sensible decision to abandon Cracoe as the WX didn’t get any better here - and as I said to you last night “it will be there for you another time” and hopefully under much improved WX !

73 Graham G3OHC

In reply to G3OHC and G4OWG:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Had we thought through every eventuality before the day of the activation, we would have had a Plan B for dire weather conditions which would have entailed activating just TFT and Cracoe, arriving at TFT around 9 p.m. and descending after Cracoe. The problem is VFM - value for money. As you know Paul and I try to pack in as many summits as possible as any period of activation entails at least a 350 mile round trip. 5 summits and 7 points was a reasonable target - we just didn’t make it on this occasion.

As always, thanks for your support. The tally on TFT for an evening activation was particularly gratifying.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald and Paul,
Sorry things did not pan out as planned, unusual for you pair, but I suppose the weather wins on occasions.
Fully understand your observations on VFM. I think it works out well on many fronts, when long distance travellers operate as a pair, as it provides multiple frequency/band opportunities in the shortest time.
Missed you on your second summit; sorry duty called and I had to go out. You were very weak on the other two, qsb was rather fierce and I understand you had a few technical difficulties.
Good decision to abort, I was watching the rainfall radar and heavy rain was bearing down on you!
Thank you for the activations and I hope you have both dried out!
Frank

In reply to G3RMD:

I was watching the rainfall radar and heavy rain was bearing down on you!

We drove through this on the way home, so we weren’t that unhappy that we had cancelled part of our mission. It was the right thing to do under the circumstances.

Signals on 2m were very eratic with lots of QSB. Our location on Thorpe Fell Top was not ideal as the summit area was boggy and we opted for a drier position north-east of the highest point. At least we took less dirt home with us!

73 and thanks for the contacts, Gerald

P.S. The rigs, cables and other bits are still in the airing cupboard.

In reply to G4OIG:

Bad luck Gerry. The ground between the two tops is boggy and looks difficult - even in the light. You will enjoy the direct approach to Cracoe far more.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi Richard,

It is not as though we have lost out. Cracoe is still there to be activated - Thorpe Fell Top isn’t, so that’s why we made sure we got that one in. We ascended from Thorpe, so Cracoe will be a whole new experience ascending from Rylstone… looking forward to it in the WB period sometime in the future.

73, Gerald

In reply to all:
Any idea when Cracoe Fell will be imported into Sotawatch2?

Roger G4OWG

Hi Roger,

It is in the Database, so all the information is there. I think Jon is possibly away working again, so he will trigger the SOTAwatch update upon his return.

Tom M1EYP

Hi guys what a night it was on Cracoe Fell… Very windy I nearly got blow over… The rain was err well you could only just breathe if you took a big breath you would drown and also it was DARK , FOGGY at times & very very cold…

Anyhow we did it after all.
Right Scott 2E0RCS and Myself M3XLG are wishing to be on the logging as BOTH first activators but if we submit our logs one or the other is going to be set as first so would ADMIN please have a chat and see what we can do… I know you can… Please…

You tell us what we need to do…
Its only fair as we both went through alot to do it…err huge Boggy field comes to mind…

Sorry to anybody who we did not get contact with but we tryed our best to set up the Commet GP15 but the winds was so bad we could hardly stand up ourself so no huge antenna was not possible.

Heres the log…
G7COD , G4CPA , MX0BCQ/A , M0GGR , G4NOX , M3ZEG , G4JNN , M3VYD.
Scotts log as follows…
G4CPA , G7COD , GW0DSP , M3ZEG.

So please admin can you help us out here…