Cracoe Fell

If and when this is raised to Marilyn status, we are in for a treat. It is far nicer than Thorpe Fell.

Park SD971583 (Rylstone), small layby on east side of road. Walk back along road to bridleway running SSE (No vehicular access). Follow track then path to Rylstone Cross. For best views ignore ladder stile and instead stay on north side of wall. Path eventually runs out at small crag where a couple of exposed moves are required to gain main path on south side of wall. Proceed by more crags to summit monument. Crags offer good shelter in bad weather. Location should be good on VHF. Best DX on 10GHz was 258km.

Approach; 1 hr 15 minutes.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Once done there are two great cafes in Craco, one where you can get ham and eggs before you activate and then pork pie and mushy peas afterwards.

In reply to G3CWI:
How far off being added to sota is Cracoe Fell. Thanks Geoff.

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff

To quote James 'ZZO the association manger in another thread:-

"I have been following the discussion on the RHB reflector and will make the decision on when to change the summits over, based on the date they choose to make their change.

As SOTA in England have chosen to use this list then we have to be guided by it. I will allow a decent period of time to elapse so that people (including me) get a chance to activate Thorpe Fell before it disappears.

I note the comment on not having the changeover at a weekend to avoid queues on the grass verge. I would rather have it at a weekend to allow lots of people an early opportunity to activate the new one. I would be interested in other views as well. "

I see that the (unofficial) web site of all summits ( http://www.hill-bagging.co.uk/ ) and the one used by hillbaggers, deleted Thorpe Fell Top and added Cracoe Fell on 4 June 2008.

Perhaps James could now set a date?

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G6MZX:

Cracoe Fell has officially replaced Thorpe Fell Top in the RHB list of Marilyns ( Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos ). However, a look at the 1:50000 OS map suggests that SOTA will only require a name-change for G/NP-025, as the 25m activation zone of either includes the other.

James M0ZZO, the England AM, will be the ultimate arbiter!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les - on my map, there`s no way of getting from Thorpe Fell (506m) to Cracoe Fell without going below the 480m contour. Surely this means the 25m rule kicks in & Thorpe is not in the activation area.

In reply to G1INK:

I guess it all depends on just how accurate the mapping of that boggy area between the summits really is. I’m sure that more detailed maps, and local knowledge, will reveal the answer! I have already contacted James on the subject, and we must await his decision.

73 de Les

In reply to G1INK:

In reply to G3VQO:
Hi Les - on my map, there`s no way of getting from Thorpe Fell (506m)
to Cracoe Fell without going below the 480m contour. Surely this means
the 25m rule kicks in & Thorpe is not in the activation area.

Steve

My maps too! Had I thought otherwise, I would have claimed my activation yesterday.

Of course if Les says I can…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3VQO:
Les the 1:25000 map clearly shows a drop of more than 25m between Thorpe Fell Top and Cracoe Fell.

Roger G4OWG

If parking is a problem at the usual spot there is also parking for several cars available just through Rylestone village on the left just before going up the hill towards Cracoe, then just a short walk back up the hill back towards Skipton.
Also an access point to the moors from Cracoe at grid ref 979600, there are many paths along and around this moor that are not marked even on the 1:25000 map, up to very recent there was limited access to the moor as it all belongs to the Duke of Dev. Watch out during grouse shooting season though.
From the same start point there is a superb mountain bike traverse acoss the moor to 037553 its a bridle way all the way.

In reply to All:

Just a curiosity one for you,

I was under the impression, driven home on many ocaasions by the MT, that the Marilyns list was difinative as far as SOTA is concerned, and if it aint on the list it cant be activated as far as SOTA is concerned ! Thus from the 4th of June 2008 Thorpe Fell must not be classified as a SOTA summit, has anyone activated it after this date ?
Are we now saying that the AM can decide as and when a summit is changed ?

Cheers

Lee

In reply to M0LMP:

Are we now saying that the AM can decide as and when a summit is
changed ?

Cheers

Lee

Its not a case of ‘now’ Lee it has always been the case.
It seems eminently reasonable to me to allow a period of grace as these changes take time to filter through. Not everyone reads MARHOFEN or the various reflectors. The more Pedantic hillbaggers will not accept a change until it is published in MARHOFEN or an update from Alan Dawson himself, which could take up to a year.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to M0LMP:

I was under the impression

Lee, if you have a read of general rules sections 3.6 and 3.12.2 (the last two paragraphs) you can see how changes are handled. The RHB Marilyn list gets updated whenever someone finds an error in the RHB list or produce a revision thanks to more accurate surveying. There’s always a delay from when the latest revision is published till it becomes valid for SOTA in the UK. This gives the AM time to revise the appropriate ARM and other documents. The other advantage is that if a summit is being deleted, the delay in adopting the revised list gives everyone a chance to activate the summit to be deleted one final time.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G3CWI:

Hi everyone

Been slightly out of touch over the past few days and just catching up. I am working on the latest version of the ARM and will anounce date of change very soon.

James M0ZZO

Hi everyone

NP-032 Cracoe Fell will become valid for activations on 1st October 2008. NP-025 Thorpe Fell Top will therefore cease to be valid at Midnight on 30 September 2008

James M0ZZO

In reply to M0ZZO:

Seems I’d better take a day off work then… Just when I was wondering where to go next!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I had hoped to do a “midnight raid” on both as I have not done Thorpe Fell yet. Unfortunately I can’t get the time off work. I expect to manage Thorpe Fell on 18th September but Cracoe will have to wait.

james M0ZZO

In reply to M0ZZO:
James
It might be worthwhile checking with the Bolton Abbey Estate that the moor will be open on the 18th. Due to the bad weather there won’t have been much Grouse Shooting so if the weather improves they may try to get a few days in.
I may try Cracoe Fell on the 1st October but if anyone is traveling to do it let me know (g4owg at eu dot srars dot org) and i’ll go on the 2nd. Not bothered about being first just want to do it.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Myself and Roy G0HDX are in the Dales for 2 weeks and where planning to activate Thorpe Fell Top so will now activate Cracoe Fell on Sat 4 oct

regards Phil G1OPV

The new (2.1 version) of the G Association Reference Manual is now available on the main SOTA website (click on the ‘SOTA Website’ link above). Many thanks to G Association Manager James M0ZZO for the update, which includes Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 replacing Thorpe Fell Top G/NP-025. Other updates include new grid references for Botley Hill G/SE-005 and Chanctonbury Ring G/SE-009 (and the slight change of name for the latter), and the change of height for St Boniface Down G/SE-008. James has also added the prominence values for each summit in the G association, which provides aome additional interest.

73, Tom M1EYP