Am I Too Old For SOTA Activations

Too old?! You know how hard it is for us “young” guys? All my SOTA activity is confined to, at most, two days a week! To be able to set out on a multi-day expedition whenever you like is basically almost an unfair advantage. :grinning:

1 Like

Love your summit pictures!
Ken

Doing and will climb … i have 70 turns…

1 Like

Looks like we are a load of old “Grey Beards”! (ViKi and others excepted of course). Me, in my 70th year, during which I hope to get the last leg fitted to the goat. Off to GM at the end of the month to add Ben Wyvis GM NS 005 to my collection, whilst in support of a friend completing his Munros. I also agree the hard one is the list of uniques and the mileage / time / cost involved.

David
G0EVV

I can always tell when you’re up here, it starts raining a lot. If you are coming North, I’ll go South :smile:

To the subject in hand:

As a positive youngster in my later-50s, I can safely say that never have my spirits been so uplifted by reading that there are so many older gentlemen (and ladies) still doing wonders on the hills. It’s cheered me up no end reading this. If I pull my finger out and go for hills with points not just hills because they’re hills, I should be able to get to 2xMG before I’m 60.

1 Like

On the other hand, as a young and fit person, I can easily do longer or more challenging hikes, and get multiple summits in a day. Only having weekends didn’t stop me from getting over 100 unique peaks last year.

Jeff, aa6xa

1 Like

Started SOTA at 58. Made MG at 62. Well on my way to 2MG at 64. I can’t think of a better way to entertain myself and the chasers. Dean ~ K2JB

1 Like

From the beginning activation this hobby looked like a great one to continue till the great checkout. Almost 70 here and quite sure got another 10 years of activations despite two heart attacks and a defibrillator. Like KX0R i love the new experience of bushwhacking and route finding i never would have bothered to do without SOTA. No excuse for NOT doing it !!
Cap
W0CCA

1 Like

If you have to ask if you are too old then yes you are.

I will continue to rage againt the dark and not fade gently into the night. My ability to scale steep cliffs is gone but I still have activator milestones to achieve.

A famous coach said to his side “dont think do”. They were trailing badly but won the final. The ability to do most things is buried between the ears.

So stop navel gazing and get out and activate.

Ron
VK3AFW

1 Like

Elderly??? you mean older people…!!

3 Likes

I’m 68 this year and have only discovered SOTA just after getting my foundation licence two years ago. It combines my interest in mountaineering, which I still do,hillwalking, winter climbing, (quite often solo) x-country skiing and I’ve done the Coast to Coast (200 miles across northern England) 3 times in the last 3 years) I’ve also canoed hundreds of miles in some of the most remote areas of Canada.

I don’t know whether I’ll ever make a mountain goat. Its a lot of points and I have lots of other interests.

Age a barrier? . Tell that to Fred Neegan:- Ray Mears?? Meet Fred Neegan - Cree indian - Song of the Paddle Forum who clearly doesn’t think about age either.

1 Like

Since december 2011 I have 3107 p. But now also 70 years …

73 Miro OM7SM

1 Like

We all age differently. What is true for one person isn’t necessarily true for another. Take it slowly at first, build confidence on the mountain trails, learn how much your body can and can’t handle physically, and enjoy yourself without overdoing it!

73, Barry N1EU

2 Likes

I am 72 years old, 600 activations so far. I continue to jog up peaks that may be 14,000 ft in elevation. Go for it! 73, Fred KT5X (aka WS0TA)

3 Likes

I have got my first MG at the age of 64. I am 72 now and am heading toward my 5th MG with 4333 points at the moment. Between the first MG and today I have got my hip ankle exchanged and had heart surgery besides some other lesser health inconveniences. My pace is little down now but I hope to be able to activate another ten years at least. Facit: As long as there is a will, there is a way.
73, Ruda OK2QA

6 Likes

Can I echo a previous sentiment: you guys are inspirational. Seriously, thank you for offering this perspective on aging.

1 Like

I started activating during the summer of 2011 at age 62. I was pretty casual about if for the first couple of years, but as 2014 was rolling into 2015, I started to get out on the trails more. However, it became obvious that something was wrong. My activations became far apart as we tried to figure out what was wrong. In June 2015 I got the news that I had Parkinson’s disease.

I under went a number of therapies and started on medications. I became resolved that as much as possible I was not going to let Parkinson’s define who I was or what I could accomplish. Vigorous exercise is one of the most important things a Parkinson’s patient can do to slow the progression. Guess what, SOTA is a great choice.

We got the medications worked out, I walk daily and activate frequently. I feel much, much better and I made MG in September of 2017.

Thanks for everyones support. See you on the trails. Persevere!

11 Likes

Holy smokes Phil! I had no idea about your history. You are most definitely an inspiration for all of us. I’m glad to hear you’re doing well and many thanks for all the activations and chaser contacts you do my friend.

73, Brad
WA6MM

1 Like

Hi Phil

I first noticed my Parkinsons three years ago. Achieved MG a month after you. The exercise for SOTA is indeed a good therapy!

CW is getting more difficult, so thanks for your patience, my friends.

73 Hal

3 Likes

What can I say? Well done everyone - brilliant attitudes and positivity going on, and returning amazing results. Truly inspirational.

Just how powerful is this SOTA programme, if it is motivating people to positively take on life-changing health issues - and win?

I know that one of the things John G3WGV and Richard G3CWI hoped for when they launched SOTA in 2002, was to encourage radio amateurs out of the shack chair, and into the great outdoors for a little exercise. That said, I imagine the kinds of things we are hearing about above, are beyond their wildest dreams!

11 Likes