Am I Too Old For SOTA Activations

I was wondering what the ages are for those who are activating summits. What ages are those who have achieved Mountain Goat?
–John, KJ4ZFK

2 Likes

Was 54 years, but it’s never too late :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am 63 and just over half way to Mountain Goat.

73 Ed.

3 Likes

Hi John,

I was 53 when I achieved Mountain Goat. After getting there, the imperative to maximise points waned somewhat but now at 61 I’m beginning to think about striking out for double goatdom :slight_smile:

Age is irrelevant, it’s fitness to carry out the expeditions that counts - I accept that at some stage I may have to limit my expectations as to the summits I can sensibly tackle, but I’m hoping to be activating for a good many years yet!

73 de Paul G4MD

2 Likes

I am 62 and I am going for the second mountaingoat. It depends on health not the age! Of course you should start step by step, I mean from easier summits, if you do not climb at all. It is good to have company for many reasons eg help in case of any problems or accident.

73 Cristos.

3 Likes

Hello!
I’m 72! I’m not interested by awards.

7 Likes

I am 66 this year hiked 160 km for 46 summits in 2017.
Only as old as you feel dragging your bones and a back pack up a hill.
I am at 760 points and don’t anticipate making old goat until 2019 all going to plan.
Regards
Ian vk5cz …

3 Likes

Activations at the age of 63 is a small beer, yesterday (Friday/Saturday)
I walked on my feet 54 km a the night on the extreme Way of the Cross

1 Like

achieved M G at 67,
73 kurt HB9AFI

3 Likes

Still doing the occasional activation at 77.

4 Likes

I am 51 yo and joined SOTA a year ago. M G far away.
Enjoy! 73.

1 Like

I was just coming up to 68 when I reached MG. Now on 2699.
Rod

Started activating at almost 49. I’m now 53 with a few hundred activations in my log, but still just slightly over half MG. As others wrote, it’s not a question of age, but of health and fitness.

Guru

2 Likes

BTW, Kurt is now approaching the 7th MG - in time for his 78th.
Keep it up, Kurt!

73 cu, Heinz

7 Likes

M1EYP: Started at 32, MG at 37, still activating lots at 47.

M0HGY: Started at 13 (once licensed, though had been going on SOTA expeditions since the age of 9), MG at 19, still activating at the ripe old age of 25.

Looks like we’ve both got a long, long way to go judging by the impressive numbers in this thread.

3 Likes

66 years old, 536 activations, 303 points. No real interest in making MG. There are loads of other personal milestones to achieve, which are just as tough and in many cases tougher…

Have fun…

2E0YYY

1 Like

Hi John,
Glyn, G4CFS, conducted a survey on the age of SOTA activators a year ago: How Old is the Average SOTA Operator?. The results are worrisome for the future of our hobby, but the determination that we read in the replies to your question keeps us hopeful…
73’s!
Zoran / E70AA

Oh god such a spring chicken in compare to you all.

Age bugger all to do with it, more depends on state of mind and health and the willingness to do it

Karl

4 Likes

Hi All,
I will be 75 in June this year ! I have been playing SOTA for many years I must admit I do take a little bit longer to get where I am going now and sometimes even longer to find my way back!! but still enjoy
SOTA as much as ever.
Just keep on moving onwards and upwards

Tony G7OEM

4 Likes

MG really is the “gold standard” in SOTA, but it could be argued that 250 Activator Uniques is tougher.

I wonder what your tougher personal target is Mike?