Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Alternative KX2 microphone?

Hi,

I remember reading a post where someone mentioned a modified microphone (Baofeng?) for use with their KX2. I haven’t been able to find it but would welcome the details.

Which model of microphone was adapted and what modifications were needed. I do not need the up and down frequency function. Any ideas?

The MH3 didn’t work on Sunday (GM/ES-067) and this is to have a spare ready next time.

Thanks

MM0YCJ

Google said http://www.w0cp.com/2018/03/adapting-two-pin-speaker-mic-to.html

No need to build anything. I was drawing out the diagram to build something, then realized I’d just drawn a stereo-to-mono splitter. So I tossed the drawing, bought a splitter off the shelf, and wrote this blog post.

For an electret mic, the splitter also gives cleaner mic bias, because it splits out the logic bias, which isn’t filtered. As another bonus, the right channel gives you a PTT jack.

wunder

While they do not have the up/down function, I’ve used a Baofeng (63g), but moved to a lighter Retavis (51g). Got both on amazon IIRC. Both work great per reports. There are others that are not hand-held type,and then there is obviously the KX2 built in mic. Once you open it up and line up with Elecraft wiring diag, simple to set up.

Mark / K6MTS

I suggested this mic a while back: http://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/lightweight-microphone-recommendations/16144/8

Barry N1EU

Thank Barry,

I remember your post. Do you have details of what modifications you did to get it working?

Thanks

Colwyn

Colwyn,

here is another option
http://www.hamgoodies.co.uk/kx3-mic
I have one, but never used other than testing that it works.

73 Gavin

GM0GAV

Thanks Gavin,

This is the type of thing I am looking for.

I note that hamgoodies have “… taken a generic speaker-mic, removed the speaker and re-wired it for the KX3.”

I have a KX2 and I have two suitable microphones (or with suitable plugs) to rewire. It is the details of the rewiring I was seeking before I dived in and opened up the generic mics to get started. However, maybe I just need to get started!

Thanks

Colwyn

No modifications, plug and play.

I use the following mic for my KX2:

With this mic you can save even more on weight. Of course it has no PTT, you have to use the TX button on the KX2. For my occassional excursions into SSB this is fine.

Heinz, OE5EEP

Thanks Barry,

I had to modify the speaker mic you posted (bought from 409 shop) to get it working with the KX2. Disconnected the speaker, wired the electret circuit to the sleeve and tip wires, then wired the PTT switch to the ring 1 and 2 wires. I also had to isolate the PTT switch from the circuit board to get it to work. Tested with a QSO on 20m yesterday evening so success.

Ciao

Colwyn
MM0YCJ

Thanks Heinz,

if I had seen this option before I ordered the “Speaker Mic for BAOFENG UV-3R UV-100 UV-200” I would have used it. Might order one as a back up anyway.

Many thanks

Ciao

Colwyn
MM0YCJ

Same here, in fact I haven’t even tested it yet. However, at 15 pounds it struck me as excellent value.
de OE6FEG / M0FEU
Matt_

Thanks Matt,

the unbranded speaker mic that I modified cost less than half of the hamgoodies fist mic. Note that I am using a KX2 not a KX3 and there appear to be differences in which microphones will work with which radio.

Also, I have had some problems with the microphone supplied for the KX2. Those problems appear to be resolved but the result is that I am now keen to carry a spare mic.

Thanks and best wishes.

Colwyn