Airport security

Saku, the problems are with Lithium based batteries. Your lead acid batteries are sealed and can be put in your checked in luggage without any worry.

1 Like

Last Saturday I lost my Yuasa NP7-12V in security checking of Helsinki Airport. I tried to explain that this battery is valid to transport in hand luggage but I lost the discussion. At least one keen young officer said that this kind of batteries have liquid inside and are not allowed to transport. I promised to get feedback.

Now I need a bit help from you SOTAmates. This lost was not huge, about 25 euros, but when I will travel to DM/OK next July I will not lose anything in security checking. I am using FT-817 and need bigger than 1.8 Ah battery for whole day activations.

Let me know what kind of extra battery I should have which I could bring in my hand luggage. For sure I can buy a battery from Germany but I see this being option B, not option A.

Andy MM0FMF, I know that you at least know these rules especial well!

73, Saku OH2NOS

Sometimes you cannot win. You met someone who was trying to do a good job but didn’t understand the issue. Not surprising to be honest. Look for IATA regulations on the web for Sealed Lead Acid batteries and keep a copy of it with you next time along with your airline’s rules on hazardous goods.

2 Likes

I found the reason why I lost my Yuasa NP7-12V in security checking of Helsinki Airport. Last week I checked the rules of Airport. From the web page Finavia ( KÀsimatkatavarat ja ruumaan menevÀt matkalaukut | Finavia ) can find instructions and test if something can bring or not?

This is clear, you can bring extra Litium battery (capacity less than 100 Ah) but nothing else. My Yuasa belongs to category “moottoripyörĂ€n akku” => motor cycle battery and it doesn’t matter which is the technology used. Lead acid batteries even they are sealed, are forbidden.

So for July’s DM/OK visit I need to find new Yuasa somewhere from Munich Airport to East. Charger I will take with.

73, Saku OH2NOS

This is wrong. It is a sealed battery not wet battery and motorcycle batteries are are wet batteries.

Data sheet here - Redirect Notice

Please correct me if I am wrong - a sealed lead-acid battery still has acid inside it and if it falls and breaks, the acid will flow out won’t it? I think this is what the safety people at airports don’t like.

By the way, Saku, if you buy a Lead Acid battery in Munich, are you going to throw it away at the end of your trip - you will most likely have the same problem in Munich as you had in Helsinki - the safety people wont let you take it on board.

Ed.

You are wrong. It has acid but it is in a very thick gel that is very viscous and so will not flow. The batteries are leakproof and sealed to stop this. They are also known as gel-cell batteries as there is no liquid inside.

It doesn’t matter what the security people don’t like
 the rules is all that matters. If the IATA and airline rules say Item X is OK, then it is OK. You have to, politely but firmly, point this out to the less well educated/trained staff at security.

1 Like

In practice security people give two options:

1. travel without the item
  2. argue the toss and risk missing your flight

Someone in the queue in front of me on my last flight was given exactly these options.

Being “right” is no consolation for missing your flight and I suspect you would not be compensated.

Most security people are entirely reasonable but they do a job where erring on the side of caution is applauded by most people but deprecated by a few.

Well, I never stop learning - it’s a shame that the battery says “Lead-Acid” on the side of it and not “Gell-Cell” then it might be easier to convince the under-paid and over-worked (no harm in saying that to them) security officials at the airport that the battery is OK. If there is a copy of the IATA rules in Finnish that lists these cells as OK, taking a copy of that to the airport would seem to be advisable, and probably one in German and one in English as well.

It seems however from what Saku said that the Finnish safety website does not allow for these batteries - or did you miss the “gell cell” section Saku?

You are right Richard, when you get to the “travel without or don’t travel” then you cut your losses. The aim is to get someone who knows and understands before your reach the $64k question :wink:

Ed, you are right. I know the same problem in security checking but in the case “buy battery from Germany” I will donate it back to supplier.

Andy is right for sure but in the security checking a normal person is in troubles if the security officer has selected his side. My problem in SM-visit was that I did not have any pdf-document with and did not talk about “gel cell”. Next I send an email with pdf to Finavia and ask the “official opinion”. From their web pages the answer is clear that Li-batteries only.

73, Saku OH2NOS

Case Litium battery

Case other battery (motor cycle battery)

Just took a look at Finnair and they ONLY have reguations for Lithium batteries. No mention of Lead-Acid batteries.

I search through the Trafi site after being sent there from the Finavia site, it appears this is the current restricted items list: http://www.trafi.fi/filebank/a/1357814338/9624f5facb3165b02e582b47fe6ff697/11010-List_of_Prohibited_Items_.pdf

It makes no reference to ANY batteries at all.

It’s probably worth contacting the airline that you are travelling with and ask them for a clear statement regarding SLAB batteries. By the way Finavia say they keep confiscated items for several weeks - so you “ought” to be able to go there and (politely) demand your property back.

Ed.

I sent an email to Finavia today claiming explanation why they took my battery away. I attached the product pdf with. I will share the answer when it comes. Let’s see what is the lessons learned!

73, Saku OH2NOS

1 Like

Today I got answer from Finavia:

“Our secure officers working according to international regulations, EU-act and rules of Trafi.

Lead Acid battery, which my battery was, transportation is prohibited in hand luggage or in hold according to international dangerous goods regulations (DGR).

You can ask more about instructions and acts from Trafi, which is Finnish aviation authority.”

Well - take or leave! Now I need to make plan B for DM/OK-visit. B1 is to check where I could buy corresponding battery from Germany. B2 is consider if I should buy LiFePO4 battery with charger. B2 is more expensive alternative – but let’s check what I can do!

73, Saku OH2NOS

Your battery was not a lead acid battery but a SEALED lead acid battery. It’s different. The problem is Finnish authorities not having the correct definitions. Sorry, I don’t how you proceed.

Which rig do you need to power Saku? - i.e. what voltage is needed? I ask this as LIPO batteries are cheaper than LIFEPO and for example and FT-817 runs fine from a 11.5volt 3 cell LIPO battery. The advantge of LIPO or LIFEPO over your SLAB/Gell Cell is that they are a lot lighter for similar capacities.

Before anyone jumps in here, care is needed with LIPO batteries that they are charged with the correct charger otherwise they can explode. I have used LIPOs for over 3 yeras now without any problems. When I bought them, there were no LIFePOs - if there had, have been would I have bought LIFePO - with the price difference, probably not. As the prices drop, when I replace my LIPOs, I will most likely change to LIFePOs as they are the more modern technology but at present LIPOs are definitely the better deal.

73 Ed.

(Click image to make bigger to read).

As usual, the Australian air authorities do it better ! All the other sources including IATA either had only references to Litium batteries or wanted you to pay to download a document to explain what is possible and how to pack items. From the Australian (International compliant) reguations, everything is clearly available.

This screenshot is from the web based app, hower they also have free Android and iPhone apps.

https://www.casa.gov.au/publications-and-resources/standard-page/can-i-pack-use-our-dangerous-goods-app

Ed.

Ed, I am using FT-817. These Yuasa batteries I found three years ago with guidance of my HAMmate. They are cheap (7 Ah about 30 euro), I have charger for those and with fully charged battery you can operate several hours during couple of days. As back up I use FT-817’s internal batteries.

My idea is ask ones from Trafi their opinion but so far I have learned to start planning option B. Best in this case is that I have learned lot of battery technology (Lead acid, Li-ion, LiFePO4) and what security checking employees are thinking. Also this is excellent lessons learned for future travels.

73, Saku OH2NOS

Well, the FT-817 works very well with a 2500 maH 3 cell LIPO battery that fits inside the battery compartment using the cables from the AA battery holder that you have plus a simple voltage divider of two 100k resistors to connect the green wire which tells the rig not to charge the battery from an external source. You can also use (e.g.) a 5000 mAH 3S LIPO externally. Both of these batteries cost me around $25 each with the charger (fits both battery sizes) costing another $20 but compared to carrying the weight of the SLAB, I think it’s worth it. LIFePOs are probably 2-3 times the price and you would need the larger 4 cell versions (which wont fit inside the 817).

Ed.

Is it not up to the battery manufacturer to obtain an air transport approval certificate of some kind. Which is probably the reason why airport staff are not to concerned about the common electrical gadgets carried in cabin baggage these days.

If I was carrying a battery pack by air, I would prefer to have a copy of the manufacturer data showing suitability for transport by air to the airport staff, if questioned.

Graeme

1 Like