Airport security

Good move to print both languages. From experience, security staff normally are good in several languages but taking the trouble to get it printed in someone’s first language is a considerate of the security guy’s English and also just shows a bit of manners in not expecting everyone to speak English.

Oh I think that had quite a bearing on the outcome.

1 Like

As this is a subject of great interest to all SOTA activators who are travelling, or intending to travel, overseas and occurs at regular intervals, is it possible to give it a category of its own where it can be added to, or used as a reference of experience at numerous airports?
Roy G4SSH

2 Likes

Done. “Transport security” as a category exists and this thread is now in that category.

1 Like

I assume the “No batteria” is something to do with the “hoverboard” battery issues?
When I enquired about taking the 96wh tracer on Emirates, that was the first thing they said… 'no hoverboards or hoverboard batteries.
They did seem oblivious to the IATA rules :frowning: then again it was just their call centre and they seemed to have nobody to direct the query to.

Were your batteries just the standard r/c ones, with the wires hanging out?

I do have one of the ‘fire safe’ bags at home but I’ve never had the nerve to try and take it on a plane! In theory it should show that at least you’ve considered all risks, however, a big silver bag with “Fire proof” written in big red letters would probably invite the attention of “Bubba” and his large selection of latex gloves :frowning:

Here is a direct link so that others do not have to Google for it:

Yes, with the connections taped over.

Related to this, IATA has changed rules starting April 1st 2016, Li-Ion batteries/cells are not longer allowed separately in the checked-in luggage. You either have them inside a device or you take them in the hand luggage.

Surely this new ruling applies to commercial cargo shipments of lithium batteries and not to passengers carrying up to the 100 WH limit?

73 Phil

I hope they put out some instructions that are clearer than this, as it doesn’t appear to make any distinction between hold luggage and hand luggage. Also you can just imagine some airport security person being overzealous in the application of these rules. I’m going to the Algarve later in the year and was hoping to take a LiFePo4 battery with me, and do some SOTA whilst out there.

As I have remarked before, if I knew which flight you were going to be on I would be sure not to be a passenger on it.
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

You do talk some cobblers Walt.

You’re worried about 1 person with a LifePo. What about the fact everyone on the plane will have a phone? Then there are tablets and laptops? There’s around 250 Lithium batteries on every plane with 175 passengers. Phones are constantly being bashed and charged. Whilst the Lithium content is less, they are much more likely to have been abused than an amateur and his 817/KX3.

If something haapens at airport security I will be pleased to borrow one battery to you.

73 de Pedro, CT1DBS

1 Like

I believe this is the current status, no change.
For batteries less than 100Wh.
Batteries within devices, go in the hold (checked in) baggage.
Spare batteries, in original packaging if possible and with terminals taped up, in the carry on bagage (max 2 spare batteries in carry on bagage).
Spare (not within a device) batteries have not been allowed in checked-in bagage for sometime.

Ed.

73 de G3NYY

2 Likes

Oh dear…

No problem with my tracer lifepro4 battery in either Melbourne, or Dubai (Wasn’t even singled out for swabbing…)

But.

It seems that my checked luggage, one suitcase (including Radio, Amplifier, wire antennas, boots, walking poles, travel pole, as well as a selection of smelly clothes :sweat_smile: (I did do some washing while I was away, honest!)) was the only item of checked baggage not to make it back to BHX on the flight. (I’ve been told it’s due on the next flight, and will be sent on via courier tomorrow…)

What are the odds of everything still being in the case? Or indeed it ever getting forwarded on to me?

I’ll let you know… tomorrow… Hopefully.

** UPDATE **

case delivered via courier, nothing missing, thankfully, but it had been opened, and rummaged around in :frowning:

1 Like

Oh, oh…
I would be very scared if my suitcase with Radio, Amplifier inside would not have made it to the final destination with me…
This reminds me a nasty experience I had several years ago. The suitcase didn’t arrive to the final destination airport with me and it made in one or two days.
I didn’t have any big value stuff inside other than a brand new wrist watch inside the original box with instructions manual and warranty papers. The box, and the papers came in with the delayed suitcase but the wristwatch had been removed from inside by a magic hand…
Good luck!

When I went to Australia a few years ago, in order to reduce the weight of my baggage on the homeward journey I packed a number of items (including worn clothing, boots and a few electrical items) in a large cardboard box and posted them to my home address in the UK by surface mail. I marked the Customs label “Personal effects returned from vacation abroad - no commercial value”. It took several weeks for the box to arrive, but it did eventually come - unopened and undamaged - and I was charged nothing for customs or other taxes.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi,

When I flew down under on route Prague-Heathrow-Singapore-Sydney, my hand luggage has been completely taken apart to atomic pieces at Heathrow. I was asked whats inside first, I said amateur radio, then no more questions. In Singapore all out again, but with less care.

I did not carry any batteries, but the reason was probably I had KX3, VX6, SDRPlay, adapters, chargers and a Cisco deskphone in. Reason for this is that the X-Ray can see through devices, but multiple layers create garbled picture, so they usually scan it flat in single layer to eg. identify valid laptop parts inside. As well they used the magic paper and chemical substance detector. I got more questions about the deskphone than the radio. :slight_smile:

Last year I called Lufthansa and asked if I need any batteries to power up the KX3. They said I dont as this only applies to laptops, phones and tablets. No other electronic equipment.

Marek, OK1BIL/VK2

I put my fingers also to soup and make a stupid question. So far here has been spoken about Lithium batteries mostly. As an old school boy I am using lead acid batteries (Yuasa NP7-12 and NP4-12). Yes I know they are heavy but I my case the walking routes are not long and I have been able to carry them (one only per time).

Because the base rule is that energy may be max 100Wh, and those energy (NP7-12 => 84Wh and NP4-12=> 48Wh) is less than 100Wh, they can be carried in luggage in cabinet when terminals are taped up.

Have I understood the battery transportation problem correct manner?

73, Saku OH2NOS

Ps. In any case I will keep internal batteries of FT-817 inside the radio.