Activation Report for OE/TI-095 "Rietzer Grieskogel" (10 Points)

Dear all:

After a failed attempt two weeks ago, I managed to activate OE/TI-095 “Rietzer Grieskogel” (2884 m / 9462 ft) today. This was the second activation ever, with the last one (by OE7FMJ/P) almost four years ago (on August 18, 2014), and the first winter activation and the first on 40m and in CW.

Map view: Google Maps

Directions and Approach:
On the road from Haggen to Kühtai (L13), park on the right side of the road after the first tunnel; there is also a bus stop at the very same position. There is an extra parking lane for ca. 10 cars, but since the summit is a popular one, you have to be early, at least on weekends. In winter, the tour starts at the very end of that parking lane, with a rather steep but short ascent, always staying at the eastern side of the ravine, which encompasses the Klammbach creek.
For details of the route, I recommend one of the many route descriptions on the Web, e.g. this one.

Warning: Even though this is a very popular tour in the area, it is often underestimated in terms of risk. There are several parts that are subject to relevant avalanche risks, depending on the time of the year and snow conditions, namely (but not limited) to the two steep faces left and right of the creek, a steep step before turning to the final slope, and the last part to the summit ridge. Also, the final ascent to the summit can be challenging when the rocks are slippery due to ice.

Operating Position:
I set up my gear on the actual summit, because any lower position within the activation zone will block other climbers. It is manageable to deploy a dipole as an inverted-v, but next time I would bring a vertical.

Equipment used:
Rig: Mountain Topper MTR-5B in my GoBox enclosure
Antenna: EFHW with Traps for 40-30-20m based on a @HB9BCB design.
Mast: Decathlon 6m carbon-fiber pole, 340g.

The deployment was sub-optimal (maybe only 3 m above the rocks) due to hurry and other climbers on the summit.

Activation Report:
I arrived at the summit at 11:18Z and was QRV on a free frequency (7029.6 MHz) at 11:30. RBN reported my signals with 3…30dB by 11:31…11:33, but only within a rather small area in Central Europe; likely, the sub-optimal deployment meant a lot of steep NVIS radiation.

Marius, @SP9AMH, answered my call at 11:34 (QRP to QRP!), and @DL4FDM, @ON4VT, @ON4FI, @ON6ZQ, @OE6WIG, and OZ7JZ followed.

Unfortunately, it was very chilly and cold (-8 degrees C) on the summit, so I had to QRT very early at 11:43Z, because my fingers were frozen and my company urged me to leave.

My sincere apologies to all chasers whom I could not work while on the summit, but staying 25 minutes on a mountain top with strong winds at -8 degrees C is a challenge, for the activator and his or her company.

Attached, please find a few pictures.

Agn, mni tnx fer chasing me!

73 de Martin, DK3IT

First part of the ascent:
oe-ti-095-ascent

Look back to the Mugkogel (SW):
look-back-to-mugkogel

Ridge from the ski depot to the actual summit:

Near the summit:
oe-ti-095-near-summit

Final ascent to the summit:
oe-ti-095-final-ascent-to-summit

Antenna and Summit:

Operating Position:

13 Likes

Hi!
I was waiting for you at 7,031 with ready bottom to send but there were some stations around, so you chose QRG lower, which is why RBN was faster. . .
Thanks for QSO,
73 de Mariusz

1 Like

Hi Martin,
this time I was lucky with the condx. Real 599 on my swabian S-Meter :wink:
Many tnx for your effort and the fantastic photos from TI-095.
You made my day because I have a cold and fever and just went up
from bed to take some CW medicin in my shack.
Vy73 Fritz DL4FDM (HB9CSA)

1 Like

Thanks, Fritz! Mountains and CW, and the combination in the form of SOTA is an excellent medicine for the body and the mind!

73 de Martin, DK3IT

1 Like