YouTube CW SOTA Videos

I have found a couple of SOTA CW practice videos, which I think are fairly new.

I’m not suggesting these are examples of a perfect SOTA QSO, for example I’ve never heard “CQ SOTA” being sent but that aside they may be useful for anyone trying to get into CW.

15 wpm:

17 wpm:

There may be others in the series but I’ve not found them yet.

3 Likes

I always send CQ SOTA.

I do hear most/many other europeans operators using “CQ SOTA”.

Potentially it cuts down on getting lots of answers from hams who just want a chat and don’t understand that there may well be a queue of chasers waiting, etc., Likewise I always send my SOTA Reference and that makes it clear to the chaser to decide whether they want a QSO and./0r S2S from that ref. It saves them having to ask for yr ref if you’ve not been picked up by RBN etc.,

David
RHB

1 Like

So do I, although I send “CQ CQ CQ SOTA” rather than “CQ SOTA CQ SOTA”. When I’m on a summit looking for S2S I want the other station to send CQ SOTA else I don’t know that they are doing SOTA (unless I’ve seen the spot first).

I don’t send the reference in the CQ. I usually send it to the first chaser and any S2S. I very rarely get asked for it as most get it from the spot.

4 Likes

I’ve been posting my full recorded audio from activations. Lots of calling CQ, but there are some pileups and stuff to be found. And the QRM and QSB is very real.

Here’s the playlist:

I know the one coming out tomorrow has a long pileup in it.

3 Likes

The 22 wpm version has just been published.

1 Like