Xmas Quiz - any answers?

Post your answers for the Christmas Quiz here as replies to this topic. Strictly one answer only per reply. Anyone may answer any question they themselves have not contributed to the quiz. No-one else has seen the solutions, not even members of the MT, so everyone in the SOTA community may take part. I presume participants will recognise questions that they themselves wrote and contributed, and will not post answers for those!

Right, off you go. I’m off to bed, and it wouldn’t surprise me to find every question correctly answered by the time I wake up in the morning!

Compliments of the season,

Tom M1EYP

1. Lhotse prominence is 610m. Everest, being the highest mountain of the world, has its own elevation 8414m as prominence

M1EYP: Correct

Merry xmas!

1 Like
  1. mmm…
    “You are driving a Eurostar train from London to Paris…”
    Me, EA2CW?
    :wink:

M1EYP: Correct - Tnx to our news ed Roy G4SSH for this question!

And HPI NW YR!

1. Yes - When there are 2 activators on that summit, you can SWL one of them and work the other.Or if a single activator works multiple bands can work on one band and SWL another.

I seem to recall this being the case several times Tom between us. :smile:

M1EYP: Correct - and there is another instance where it is possible too.

1. it’s impossible to earn 12 points from an activation, lowest is 0 (I’ve done that a few times :frowning: ) highest is 13 (10 + 3 bonus points). There are no 9 point summits, hence nobody can score 12 points.

possibly… :wink:

M1EYP: Correct.

1. Green Eggs and Ham? Possibly the only variety of soup, or co-op(*) sandwich not consumed on a summit by M1EYP? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

M1EYP: Wrong!

(*) Other retailers are available…

1. No one as GI/MM-016 is no longer a SOTA summit.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like
  1. GM/SS-246 and GM/SS-265.

Jimmy M0HGY

1. GW/NW-001

Jimmy M0HGY

1. 5

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct … name the summits and the islands?

1. GW/NW-071.

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Wrong!

1. It was only valid for SOTA from 02/03/02 to 06/03/02, other summits only valid within these dates are G/SB-002, G/SB-003 and G/LD-016.

Jimmy M0HGY

1. Bolton Wanderers.

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: The contributor for this question has not (as yet) supplied an answer. Personally I’m not sure, I was thinking somewhere else.

1. G/SE-015.

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct. TBH, I had the answer down as Detling Hill G/SE-013, as the reference book The Relative Hills of Great Britain has this recorded as “North Downs”. However, you are right as Cheriton Hill was omitted from the original book and added later.

1. Place and this appears once (Place Fell G/LD-027).

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Another for which the question contributor didn’t supply an answer (and probably still hasn’t researched it). Nonetheless, I suspect there are fish names hidden within summit names that will appear two or more times, so I’m not sure you’ve got it right, notwithstanding the appalling joke / atrocious spelling!

1. G/TW-005.

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct. Normanby Top / The Wolds has this distinction.

1. They will both score the same amount of points as both will get 520 points in 2015,

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct. Thanks to Ron VK3AFW for this question.

34a) GW/NW-001

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct. This was the new train station / cafe being built on Snowdon.

34b) GW/NW-044.

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct. Jubilee Tower being tidied up on Moel Famau.

34c) GW/SW-010.

Jimmy M0HGY

M1EYP: Correct. I think a new pipeline was being installed on or through Craig y Llyn.