Winner of The Doric Film Festival

That was great – even gave me a wee chuckle!

73, Jim KK0U

2 Likes

I used to work with a lad from Glasgow. Now that was a dialect! There are only so many times in a 4-hour watch that you can say pardon or what or sorry. After that you just have to make an educated guess and respond appropriately :grin:

6 Likes

Doric is mostly understandable but Glaswegian can be impenetrable. I think that’s probably the accent rather than the dialect though.

4 Likes

Hing oan a minnit am fae Glesca. Oor accent is pure dead brilliant.

Rob GM3YTS

6 Likes

Great film and it didn’t need sub-titles. :slight_smile: I was expecting they might be employed like the native American “code talkers” but even this Englishman understood most of it.

2 Likes

I can beat that Andy, I worked in Gourock just west of Glasgow for National Semiconductor and had to translate in some meetings between the Scots lads and the Cockney ones from the London office - neither could understand each other! Then at the weekends, I’d often drive up to Aberdeen to visit my sister and her (Doric speaking) friends. (Neither my sister nor I were Scottish, we’re from Yorkshire - somehow we understood).

Accents and dialects are a lovely thing - long may they continue.
73 Ed.

6 Likes

That’s what I needed Rob; subtitles :wink:

4 Likes

Brilliant wee film. No problem understanding it as quite similar to Ullans (Ulster-Scots) though it’s more related to Lullans as it was Lowland Scots who were involved in the Plantation of Ulster. We have great problems getting Ullans recognised here so it’s amazing to see this doing so well. The late Queen spoke Doric. Part of the problem is that people call them dialects - they are languages in their own right.

4 Likes

But not too modest to express sincere thanks to Fraser @MM0EFI for his original post and to all of you who have added so many encouraging and supportive (and humorous) comments here. To quote some Doric words, I was stammygastered (astonished) and dumfoonert (stunned) at the award success but fair tricket (totally delighted) that it might do another wee bit to spread the word about amateur radio - and SOTA - worldwide to those who know little or nothing about our fabulous hobby and probably still think we’re all mad (perhaps with some justification in some cases :rofl:). Thank you all so much.
Richt, at’s eneuch. Am awa’ tae coorie doon in ma shack afore ye a’ ca’ me a bletherin’ skite… :rofl:

8 Likes

I should add that the fiddle music for the film was composed and played by my talented brother-in-law, Graeme. His brief was to see if he could utilise Morse Code as its theme. It’s obvious that the first Morse-based musical phrase spells A-A-R-S (Aberdeen Amateur Radio Society) but I wonder how many cracked that the subsequent phrase spells R-U-L-E-S….? Definitely not a claim I would make that the club rules the amateur world (not even in Aberdeenshire) but a fun musical touch for the film nonetheless :musical_score::violin::grinning:

7 Likes

Heading for “Most viewed Doric YouTube video about amateur radio 2022” award! Even the RSGB are getting in on the act.

3 Likes

Michty me, at this rate I’ll need a new frock for next year’s Oscars ceremony….:joy:. Time I disappeared and escaped up a hill for an overdue activation! Thanks again Fraser for spreading the word, though :+1:

3 Likes

AARS RULES

Is that Doric too? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Belatedly found this gem amongst the mullloch.
Nooo I’m looking for a wee fiddle ta play Morse on a summit. I dinna need a key now.

Ron
VK3AFW
Shave and a haircut.

4 Likes

and two bits, Ron :rofl:
Scottish fiddle music is wonderful, except when someone is learning to play the instrument in which case noise cancelling earphones are highly recommended…! (Coming from a family of fiddlers - in the nicest sense - I speak from bitter experience …:rofl::rofl:)

3 Likes

Mike,

Ta.

As I’m sure you know it’s common on CW after signing with 73 SK for the other op to respond with E E.

It goes back to the early days of telegraphy. I’m not sure when SK was adopted as the end of transmission signal. I think it might originally have been something else. Anyway it all sounds like shave and a haircut, two bits. Why it was later adopted as an end to a musical piece I don’t know.

I think it’s a close run race as to which is worst, the initial attempts to play bagpipes or a fiddle.

Ron
VK3AFW

3 Likes

They both stir my native blood when played well, Ron, but chill my blood when played badly. …:weary:
I understand “two bits” to be a “quarter” in US money. Haircuts here cost considerably more than that nowadays, although being folically challenged now it is some years since I had the need of one …:rofl::rofl:
Thanks for the comment. Always interesting to look back to where things originate. 73 Mike

1 Like

An excellent film! Really nicely put together.
For those that love the dialect, here’s a wee Doric meditation video for you. Breeeeeathe…

4 Likes

I could only stand 30 seconds of that :rofl:

3 Likes

Shame you missed part 2 and 3! :pray:

2 Likes