Winner of The Doric Film Festival

Mike @2M0WNA is far too modest to post this himself.

Doric is a form of the old Scots language, still widely spoken in the north east of Scotland in rural communities and fishing towns. Doric dialect (Scotland) - Wikipedia

The Doric culture is resurgent and now has an annual film festival. Mike and his helpers made a short 5 minute film about the Aberdeen Amateur Radio Society and entered it. It is beautifully produced and is narrated in Doric.

Well, it only went and won Best Film at the festival! Here it is.

48 Likes

What a lovely film! Many congratulations to Mike and all involved in putting it together… :clap::clap::clap:

5 Likes

One word - excellent @2M0WNA Mike :ok_hand: I really enjoyed watching it.

4 Likes

NICE PRODUCTION!
Best, Ken

3 Likes

Great ham promotional video, congrats fellows!
Gary W5ODS

4 Likes

A great film - wonderfully produced - that pulled me in from the very beginning.

Enjoyed watching this!

Well done to the team who were involved with the creation.
73, Robert

5 Likes

Aat wis fandabidozi.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed watching the film. And understood the Doric dialect better than some of … hi.

73 Chris

5 Likes

:clap:

2 Likes

Very good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent! Well done Mike. Look forward to spikking to some of your members on the air.

3 Likes

What a brilliant wee film. The RSGB needs to publicise this too.

Well done to everyone involved, particularly Mike.

5 Likes

Good shout. I’ve taken the liberty of emailing their comms. team.

4 Likes

Really excellent film, well done to Mike and the Aberdeen club.

I have no problem understanding Doric, my late mother was from Crimond and still have family up there. Fred is not broad Doric, if it was my Aunt Vera or late grandparents narrating nobody would understand! My 18 year old son & wife struggle to understand Aunt Vera, we only live 100 miles away!

Really excellent,
Gavin GM0GAV

3 Likes

I lived near Peterhead for 10 years and drove past Crimond every day on my way to work in Fraserburgh. It was amazing the difference in dialect in the 16 miles between the two fishin toons.

By the way, legend has it that Elvis Presley’s granny is fae Lonmay.

3 Likes

A surprising way to show ham radio. I enjoyed the film.

73 Ludwig

3 Likes

Was that named after you?

2 Likes

The Tesco Chief Executive once asked me that very thing at a conference, in front of a room full of people.

Oh, how we laughed :rofl:

4 Likes

Enjoyed the film, thank you for sharing.

I even found I could understand the Doric language quite well…!

4 Likes

A lot of people have said that, which has surprised me. VK,VE, ZL and USA folk all seem to get it too. Maybe it is in their DNA? :wink:

2 Likes