Windows 10 Update 1803 warning - long update times and some system failures

Just a heads-up to everyone, this months Windows updates is a BIG one. The download to my PC took almost 4 hours over a 20Mb/s link and after the restart the installation and final configuration steps took almost 2 hours.

NOTE: there has been several changes where Microsoft seem to be trying to make the PC like a Smartphone, with improved voice assistant, location services and above all, they want to gather more data from you over your Internet link - some of these options can be disabled or at least have their impact reduced through the final steps in the install process for the upgrade - so READ the screens and take the best option for you. I’m sure someone will come out soon with an article of how to reset the “other” changes that may have been implemented “in the background”.

There is a program that is supposed to disable Windows spying actions - use at your own risk!

There are already articles out on how to block the update as the system runs slower (or so it seems) after the update.

One surprise (at least to me) is that there is a Linux subsystem now in Windows 10, allowing “some” Linux programs to be run under Windows. Which ones? Do they have to be specially compiled? Google it and see what you can find.

73 Ed.

Option 1: Stop The Windows Update Service

Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter.
From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it.
In 'Startup Type' (under the 'General' tab) change it to 'Disabled'
Restart.

Compton
Does that stop so called security updates?
Ron
VK3AFW

It stops the update service till you reboot.

Once we had people running all sorts of unpatched old junk systems. They would never update their machines to fix the bugs/security issues. Thus their machines could cause lots of damage to everyone else on the network once infected.

If people wont keep systems patched then you force them to update. “We gave you the chance to play nice and you ignored the updates. Now you WILL install the updates.” Thus we get people who don’t like being forced to install updates trying to go back to the old ways and resist.

It’s just like vaccination against diseases. Mass vaccination only works when a huge amount of the herd is treated. We got stupid parents refusing to vaccinate their darling crotchfruit and now measles and whooping cough are serious problems again. If you will not vaccinate your children they then need to be kept away from the others as they weaken the herd immunity when too many are not vaccinated.

Likewise for computers on the internet. If you resist updates and try to get around them then you should not be allowed full internet access. Let’s make it simple… not fully patched then you get limited to 64kbps access rates. You can still do stuff but your ability to damage everyone else is massively reduced.

Here endeth today’s lesson.

2 Likes

My problem is that there is not enough memory in the required partition to perform the update, so no I wont install the update! And yes I’ve tried a few ways to change the partition but to no avail… Ideas welcome.

VERY Bad idea! That also stops the Anti-virus updates!!!

there are documented method on the web to delay or stop the implementation of this particular (large) update.

73 Ed.

1803 Update went through quickly/smoothly and runs well here.

Only problem so far: an error window with a red “X” appears now, when inserting the memory stick of my digital camera for transferring the pictures to the workstation. Not yet gone thru all menu items to check the switches, so will find a solution probably when doing so.

Enjoy the fine weather instead, hi.

Vy 73 de Markus, HB9DIZ

1 Like

+1

Windows is a funny thing. That method doesn’t work on my W10 Home NUC.,

well that one way of describing Windows … I think more people have got grey hairs from supporting Windows over the years than any other reason!

There are other articles around about how to block this update - whether they are different …

73 Ed.

gParted on a Linux live disc is what I use for all partition editing.

You cannot easily adjust the size of a partition that is mounted (i.e. in use) such as C: on a Win machine. You need to boot from some other disk to make life simple.

I boot up a Linux Live DVD which has a copy of gParted on it. That lets you easily adjust the size of NTFS, FAT32, FAT, ext2, ext3, ext4 partitions.

I’ve used it to change the sizes of the partitions on a dual boot laptop that has 2x NTFS partitions for Windows and 5 partitions for Linux. You can use gParted to mirror the existing disk contents ( I have a USB hard disk the same size as the computer’s disk for a bit image backup).

I needed to resize the Windows partitions without reinstalling. Worked like a charm. Then I needed to reinstall a new Linux image (upgrade from Mint 13 to Mint 18). Again gParted let me resize the ext4 Linux partitions and the reinstall of Linux left Windows untouched.

But… you need to practice first and you need to make a backup and if you haven’t got a gash computer you can afford to trash then it’s dodgy and prone to user errors when you are learning what needs to be done. That’s why it’s worth keeping and old computer about. You can always install Windows and not activate it and then practice playing with the partitons and checking it still boots etc. The fact it is not activated doesn’t matter, you are not going to use the machine, just practice not breaking your main machine.

Aomei partition assistant standard edition 6.6 - it’s free and creates its own boot environment from Windows to which you reboot. I’ve used it a few times without any issues.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip Ed. Always worth trying these things out.

It’s also good for cloning hard disks. e.g. I just changed the spinning 2.5" disk in my wife’s laptop for an SSD using this program. The original disk was 492GB and the SSD 487GB (or something like that) and it took care of automatically changing the partition sizes but gave me the option to set the new sizes myself had I wanted.

Thanks Ed, another piece of free magic to try.
If you never hear from me again you’ll know I busted the drive big time!

Compton

Forcing updates on home computers may sound like a good idea. Restarting critical systems and taking them offline for hours because some guy in Redmond thinks our business management system server needs fancy new mobile-friendly UI … not so much.

A critical system is being run with unfiltered connections to the internet so it can just update itself? Whoever set that up is not very competent at system management.

A competent setup would have set the update policy to use a local WSUS server so patches and updates can be managed and applied to the critical system when the sysadmins want not when they become available.

If it’s critical, it’s managed so this doesn’t happen.

As far as I can tell, you have no choice. Microsoft has made it IMPOSSIBLE to permanently disable Win10 updates, even if they can’t possibly fit on your device. I’ve tried every trick out there - disabling, adding 3rd party apps, registry hacks, etc etc.

Barry N1EU

Well, with the way the partition is currently set up it wont update. So Microsoft’s demand that I update cant be fulfilled.

Compton

As long as at some point it doesn’t start the update and then fail! A half completed update can mean a “bricked” system!

I’m rather dissapointed at Microsoft with this latest update, over the last couple of years they have been far more considerate of their users and given options to opt-out or opt-in to updates. The free update from both Windows 7 and 8 systems, was a good move on their part to reduce the number of people that they need in support by having just one large platform, rather than three different levels.

From a commercial installation point of view, (If I were still working) - I would say the changes that come from such a large update warrent consideration of a different methodology, possibly merging the updates into the base OS image and then wiping and re-installing user PCs - or simply wait until the next hardware refresh.

In any case - all are aware of the longer than normal time window required for this upgrade - especially if upgrading over a limited bandwidth from busy Microsoft servers.

73 Ed.