Whoever dreamt up

The 2E0, 2W0 2M0 etc, combination of letters and numbers, should be forced to use them for the rest of their miserable lives. Yesteday, was a short skip feast on both the 10m and 15m bands, however, the times stations had trouble making out my prefix almost beggars belief. Maybe I should invest in a new set of teeth, I dunno.

It all came to head this afternoon, when YC9BEC came back to my CQ during heavy QSB conditions. It must have taken all of 5 minutes to get my call sign over to him. The combination of letters and numbers almost defeated him.

If ever there was an incentive to upgrade my licence, this must be it.

In the meantime, I’m seriously thinking about reverting to M6MMM and 10 Watts …it worked for me last year.

Mike M6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Instead of getting all huffy, why don’t you get some study done and sit for your advanced.
You only work 3 days a year anyway Mike, so you have a bit of time to kill.
I am sure that together we’ll get you through it in no time at all.

In the mean time I suggest you stick to your YYY call as an incentive to do your homework.
Unless you fancy having your ariels thrown from the top of Mickey’s Tor if I hear your MMM callsign one more time. “What a beautiful callsign” still makes me want to punch your lights out!
Go on Mickey…take the plunge. You could be lucky and end up with an STQ callsign, just like me :slight_smile:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

If ever there was an incentive to upgrade my licence, this must be it.

Too right! I never used my 2E0 call on-air; just too much of a mouthful. Mind, I was in Kenya earlier this year, and 5Z4/M0LEP was even worse! :wink:

Time to get studying that “Advance!” book, I’d say. :slight_smile:

Good luck, and 73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to 2E0YYY:

AND you can’t escape by learning Morse.

Send 2E0 in CW and the DX station will change it to either

OE0
JE0 or
WE0

Whatever you send after that is a lost cause because he assumes that you are making a mistake !

Roy
2E0OOO

In reply to G4SSH:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

AND you can’t escape by learning Morse.

Send 2E0 in CW and the DX station will change it to either

Yeah typical Roy. The whole thing was probably devised by the office cleaner…

Mike M6MMM

In reply to M0LEP:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

If ever there was an incentive to upgrade my licence, this must
be it.

Too right! I never used my 2E0 call on-air; just too much of a
mouthful. Mind, I was in Kenya earlier this year, and 5Z4/M0LEP was
even worse! :wink:

Time to get studying that “Advance!” book, I’d say. :slight_smile:

Yep, I’ll get on the case, Rick…

Mike M6MMM

In reply to G1STQ:

Unless you fancy having your ariels thrown from the top of Mickey’s
Tor if I hear your MMM callsign one more time. “What a beautiful
callsign” still makes me want to punch your lights out!

Thus confirming exactly what I’ve known for some time …You’re an incurerable Cber. You really should consider resigning your Presidency of the Pony Express Breakers Club, get rid of the Amstrad 901 chicken box, 2Kw burner and DV27! ;-))))

Mind you, I bet you’re well happy now 11m has been allocated SSB?

Go on Mickey…take the plunge. You could be lucky and end up with
an STQ callsign, just like me :slight_smile:

STQ, are you kidding, you nearly wept when you found out you had been allocated it :wink:

Catch you at the club, Thursday…

Mike M6MMM

In reply to 2E0YYY:
What a cheek.
It’s a Rotel RVC240 not an Amstrad…and I am proud to offer support and friendship through my Presidency.
Important role you know. Sometimes we even get folk who can’t pass their Advanced ticket returning to the pleasures of cb :slight_smile:
Looking forward to your membership application!
10-10

In reply to 2E0YYY:
Hi mike, I found the exact same problem last year with 2m0etr. Alot of hassle during the contests, people kept thinking I was m0etr?? I don’t know why but they couldn’t grasp it, multiple times trying to confirm that they had my call right. Mm0 has been working well this year for me! Well worth the jump to advanced!!
Adrian
Mm0tai

In reply to M0LEP:

5Z4/M0LEP was even worse!

To some extent I agree Rick. I had great difficulty getting SV8/G4OIG/P across to Greek ops on 2m FM. However, I blame the mode and its “local” status. Never had a problem with F/G4OIG/P or I5/G4OIG/P when running 2m SSB - except of course the pile ups that occured!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Never had a problem with F/G4OIG/P or I5/G4OIG/P when running
2m SSB - except of course the pile ups that occured!

I had no trouble with 5Z4/M0LEP on PSK31. However, on SSB it was a source of confusion more often than not; I usually had to repeat the callsign several times before the other station got it correct. It probably didn’t help that Kenya’s a little distance from most of the world’s DXers, and 5 watts wasn’t really quite enough to get a clear SSB signal out. It also didn’t help that my trip included a week or so when the HF bands were dead. As for pile-ups; what pile-ups? I had more QSOs in an hour or so on Firle Beacon one afternoon last month than I had in two weeks of operating from Kenya the month before. :wink:

73, Rick M0LEP

In reply to G4OIG:

To some extent I agree Rick. I had great difficulty getting
SV8/G4OIG/P across to Greek ops on 2m FM. However, I blame the mode
and its “local” status. Never had a problem with F/G4OIG/P
or I5/G4OIG/P when running 2m SSB - except of course the pile ups that
occured!

Ha ha! Try using ZB2/GW3NYY/P through the Estepona repeater!

:slight_smile:

73 de G3NYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Hi Mike

I agree with other replies: get off Shining Tor and into Advance! otherwise I might pinch M0MMM ahead of you! (Only joking - but it does have advantages for morse). I think I will take the full licence exam early next year.

Al, 2E0SCZ

In reply to M6ALR:
Yous are both too late for “M0MMM”, its taken by MJ0MMM in St Helier.

Interesting call though, who else within SOTA has a suffix with all the same letters?

Adrian
MM0TAI

In reply to MM0TAI:

Is there some advantage to having a triple repeated letter call? Is there an advantage to having any of the ??MMM callsigns? I’d be interested to know.

Having MM0 as the opening symbols of my call is not an advantage when using Morse. GM3 or GM4 sounds much better on the key to my ears.

Andy
MM0FMF

Yes! Now that CW is my main mode, I am glad that I never upgraded from class B to class A before the morse requirement to do so was removed. Give me M1 over M0 any day; it sounds much better on CW, and it is much rarer on HF. A win-win situation!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:
I agree andy, mm0mmm would be rather dull on morse!!

In reply to MM0FMF:

I was surprised to find out just how many triple letter callsign chasers there are out there. However, a callsign such as M6MMM with four letters the same, is like gold dust to the callsign collector. One of the biggest collectors is DK0BMW, the BMW Amateur Radio Club, who I worked last year. The operator couldn’t believe his luck when he worked a call with four letters all the same.

The Russians, Ukrainians and Germans are big triple letter chasers. The pile-ups I’ve worked from my home QTH, and the number of hits on my qrz.com page in just over a year using both M6MMM and 2E0YYY, bear testament to this. Although I’ve never worked HF from GM land, I would imagine, if conditions were favourable on the higher HF bands, calling CQ MM6MMM, would almost certainly create quite a pile-up.

I’m off to the Galasheils Rally on the 26 October and if the 10m or 15m Band conditions are favourable, I may just put MM6MMM to the test with a deadly combination of the FT-857 and Antron-99, on one of the GM summits :wink:

Mike 2E0YYY

You might as well take an FT-817 if you’re using MM6MMM, and save yourself a bit of weight!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

You might as well take an FT-817 if you’re using MM6MMM, and save
yourself a bit of weight!

As I’ll be using SSB and not CW, an extra 5 Watts may come in quite useful. And of course, using SSB, unlike 2m FM, should give the added bonus of my 20Ah SLAB cruising through a full day. Anyhow, I sold the 817 last year, with hindsight, one of the decisions I most certainly regret :frowning:

Mike 2E0YYY