Which Summit? And why?

5 Likes

Long Mountain - Beacon Ring. I can see it from my office window now :slight_smile: spooky old place if you ask me! A lot of history there though!

3 Likes

Long Mountain Beacon Ring GW/MW-026.

Jimmy M0HGY

1 Like

“And why”?

I think the trees were planted to commemorate the late Queen’s coronation - but why was it made visible mainly from above?

Mostly beech trees within the ancient earth work, I think, but not sure what makes the “E R” stand out (conifers, I guess)…I’ve never ventured in to find the trig point.

2 Likes

So that her lizard overlords could see it.

2 Likes

“In 1953 the hillfort was planted with a mixture of pine and beech trees to pick out the letters E II R…”

It also goes on to say the current owners would like to get the chainsaw out but clearly that has yet to happen!

3 Likes

I’ve a feeling a reference to Buckaroo Banzai may be needed :wink:

1 Like

Never seen that. It was a reference to Reptilian conspiracy theory - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Yes. But BB is funny especially because it has John Lithgow playing a completely over the top baddy, something he does so well.

2 Likes

Very interesting. Not heard of that one.

There are a couple of other patterns elsewhere in the UK I’ve seen but can’t remember where, but on the north yorkshire wolds overlooking the road from Scarborough to Malton, there once was big letters of " ICI " picked out on the grassland, which, if I remember correctly was done by applying fertiliser on the grass to make it stand out.

2 Likes