Which radio do you use to activate on HF (POLL)

HAHA ! VK3ZPF you have the right idea! You want to be heard!
John, K6YK

My other is ALT-512
73 de Pierre F5MOG

1 Like

My other Is the Xiegu G90 ā€¦ Perfect for Sota operations with inside ATU.

73 de IN3EYY Nicola

4 Likes

My ā€œother Elecraftā€ is a KX1 with the internal ATU. Itā€™s currently a triband, 40-30-20.

I have the KX3080 expansion kit to add 80m and improve receiver performance, but Iā€™ve been too busy with SOTA activations to take the rig out of service long enough to install the kit!

2 Likes

I would be interested in whether someone uses the MCHF SDR trx by m0nka. Or one of the many Chinese clones.
A few years ago I assembled it from hundreds of smd components and used it for sota for 2 years. Now I prefer the KX2

73 Chris

2 Likes

I voted for 3 options. One of them was ĀØOtherĀØ because the SW-3B, I think that this little toy for its price and the support given, deserved to be named.

2 Likes

My ā€œotherā€ is an MTR-3b. My ā€œOther Elecraftā€ is a KX1, which I love. The KX2 gets the most use, however.

1 Like

Thanks Andy for asking this. Very interesting. I use an IC7000ā€¦

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering if someone else is using one of the LNR portable radios :slightly_smiling_face:
from time to time Iā€™m using the MTR-3B.
73, Roman

2 Likes

Maybe those should be in the KD1JV category since they were originally offered as kits

3 Likes

I do, and with an internal ATU and better antenna switching it is the rig of choice - a LOT lighter than the FT817. The 817 is only used now when I intend to use V/UHF or 13cm

2 Likes

My other radioā€™s are K2 & KX1

So thatā€™s " Other Elecraft " then ?

Xiegu G90

73 de Martin / HB9GVW

2 Likes

Ah, OK I misread.

How is an MTR defined?

The original kits were designed and produced by KD1JV.

The LNR Precision MTRs were commercially made and I would think largely out number the MTRs built at home from kits.

I have one commercial MTR, and old MTR-3B and then I have 3 MTRs that Iā€™ve built myself from kits supplied by Steve Weber.

I think itā€™s interesting how radios have changed over my time in SOTA - no mention of the ā€˜classicā€™ portable CW rigs in the list - MFJ Cub, K1SWL SW+ or N6KR SST.

73, Colin

Edit after re-reading the thread.

It depends on the purpose of the survey, but I think the LNR Precision radios should be defined differently to the home built KD1JV radios.

Strange these statistics, when the overall sum is greater than 100% :rofl: :rofl:
73, Nico

Not really, when you can vote for as many rigs as you use for HF /P. I ticked FT-817 and HB1B for instance.

The percentages reflects what proportion of the survey participants use that rig - not the percentage that each rig gets used on SOTA.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s too fine a detail for this level Colin, really KD1JV says enough about the radio being used. Thereā€™s 3 types of QCX on 5 bands how many categories do we need for that? This is a high level view.

Or why not go even further and define each rig individually by serial number? That way we can have a multiway tie between hundreds of rigs all scoring one vote.

1 Like