Which radio do you use to activate on HF (POLL)

Mainly for my own interest, which radio do you use for SOTA HF activations. You can click as many as you use.

• FT817
  • FT818
  • KX2
  • KX3
  • Other Elecraft
  • IC703
  • IC705
  • QCX (any model)
  • HB1B
  • “Altoids” type home brew
  • KD1JV Kit (any model)
  • FT857
  • IC706
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

My “Other” section entry is for either my Xiegu X108G or my XIEGU G90. There are a couple of us with these rigs (and the 20 watts does seem to make a difference).

3 Likes

I thought I had an “Other” section as well as “Other Elecraft”… let’s see if I can find where that option went.

EDIT It’s moved after people voted for it. D’Oh!

The OTHERs would be interesting…

73 Armin

1 Like

My other is the EGV+ or DB4020, both kit radio’s from EA3GCY, build and operate yourself, double fun !!

If there are enough Other votes I’ll arrange a further breakdown of that section.

3 Likes

It would also be interesting to see what proportion use the 817 bare or with an amp.
Rod

1 Like

Since it’s over 20% it’s probably worth splitting

Or just add “Amp” to the list and let people tick it as well as their rig

OTHER: Xiegu x5105 and/or Xiegu G90, depending on the length of the hike.
73 Gary

1 Like

My “Other” is a Venus Information Technology 3 band cw radio: SW-3B.

4 Likes

Ditto for SW-3B

2 Likes

How do you like the SW-3B? Not that I need another QRP portable CW radio, but I am somewhat interested in that one.

1 Like

My other is also a XIEGU X5105.

73 Thomas dc5ly

1 Like

I’m on the summit with my “corona-project” from time to time…

I’d be interested to know if someone is using simple, homemade equipment.

TRX that contain less than 100 components (mechanical parts excluded).

73 Armin

8 Likes

Hi Gus! I think the SW-3B is good value, though I’ve only used it for a few activations.
Pros: small & light, price, 5-7 W on 20/30/40
Cons: clumsy interface for changing WPM, limited keyer memory (CQ DE Callsign)

Perhaps I’ll be able to check yours out one of these days. I almost bought one, but between my KX3, KX2, two KX1s and K1, I feel like another QRP radio would be overkill (but the price on the SW-3B was so tempting!).

1 Like

Gus, I think we might need to stage a QRP radio Intervention :wink:

1 Like

My wife would probably appreciate that…At the moment, I’m trying to figure out how to get a super cheap K-1 that is for sale in Baltimore out here to San Diego LOL!

My other, although not that often, is FT450D. Sometimes having 100 Watts available just feels right :smiley:

2 Likes