Which bike might be best for SOTA?

Hi Guru, thanks for the clarification. I’ve not uploaded my log yet so I’ll correct that entry with you. I must have assumed you were going portable today from our on-line conversation earlier.

I was very pleased to work USA and Canada on 20m CW but was getting cold after sitting at the summit for so long. I must go there again one afternoon and do just 20m.

2 Likes

It packs down to about the same as yours and it weighs 1.3 kg. Its just a cheap beach shelter that cost us around $20 from Kmart. I only take it when I’m pretty sure I’m going to need it. Great for wind, cold and light rain.

1 Like

That’s all mine cost I think. It has a SPF rating so should be safer to sit under that than in the direct sun. The best thing is the radio stays cool and the tablet stays readable. And the operator doesn’t get hot and bothered. Bit of effort to lug it up a big hill but I’ve taken it to a few places…

2 Likes

Did my first ebike SOTA activation today, VK3-VC-038, Archer Lookout. It was a lot of fun. I would not have been able to get my car up the tracks but the bike ate it up. Did get a bit shaken around though.

cheers
Glenn VK3YY

7 Likes

Another ebike activation, Mt Beenak, VK3/VC-016.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY.

4 Likes

Hi Glenn, an interesting E bike which appears to be a NCM ?? What model is it and notice it has a rear pannier rack which would be handy.

I have some pannier bags about.

How long does the battery last and does it have low gears for really slow work. Like trickling along at a walking pace on pretty rough badly made tracks.

Thanks for any information.

Wal VK2WP

1 Like

Hi Wal,

Yes, it’s an NCM Moscow from Leoncycles. It has a 48Volt 13 Ah battery and it lasts for ages. I did 40km around the burbs and it still said half charge on the gauge. Of course, it depends heavily on the terrain you are cycling on. It has 6 power levels and a walk mode. I have been surprised on the torque for a hub motor. A recent activation had a 2km stretch with an average 1 in 9 grade (higher peaks) and some pedalling effort was required, but all good fun.
Have been thinking about a linear to run from the battery (disconnected from the bike), wonder if that would be in the rules???
Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY

1 Like

As the popularity of ebikes increases it might be useful for the rules of SOTA to specify which types might be acceptable. eBikes come in several distinct flavours (from Wikipedia):

• E-bikes with pedal-assist only : either pedelecs (legally classed as bicycles) or S-Pedelecs (often legally classed as mopeds)
    • Pedelecs : have pedal-assist only, motor assists only up to a decent but not excessive speed (usually 25 km/h), motor power up to 250 watts, often legally classed as bicycles
    • S-Pedelecs : have pedal-assist only, motor power can be greater than 250 watts, can attain a higher speed (e.g., 45 km/h) before motor stops assisting, legally classed as a moped or motorcycle ( not a bicycle)
  • E-bikes with power-on-demand and pedal-assist
  • E-bikes with power-on-demand only : often have more powerful motors than pedelecs but not always, the more powerful of these are legally classed as mopeds or motorcycles

My own preference would be only to allow pedelecs (not the S-variant). Pedelecs require effort from the user and are (universally?) classified as bicycles. Other variants are often classified as mopeds or motorbikes.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I share the same opinion as you Richard - Pedalecs should be considered acceptable, but not the “moped” type or a Pedalec with an illegal modification meaning no effort is needed to propel it forward. The E-bIke I have is as you describe, 250 watt motor, power available up to 25 km/h, (15.5 mph), pedal assisted. Insurance and helmet is not mandatory on the public road. (UK). Only a small percentage of summits suit this form of transport in the UK to reach the actual summit, but there are many more where one could ride part way, lock the bike up and walk the rest.

73 Phil

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

My opinion would also be for Pedelecs (EN15194) to be considered acceptable. An ebike works well accessing some of the summits here, where the last few km might be a rough 4wd track.

Cheers,
Glenn VK3YY.

1 Like

The “Rokon” brand of gas powered bikes aren’t fast, but will get you there. Two wheel drive and large hollow hubs to hold extra gas or for flotation. Don’t have one (not cheap), but always wanted one.

The link:

https://www.rokon.com/

Mike, N4VBV

1 Like

Hi Glenn,
Thanks for all of the information and the NCM seems to be a useful bike. Will get onto Leoncycles and make some inquiries.

There are a few summits in Nat’ Parks where motor vehicles are not permitted and a E bike would be handy.

Thanks again, Wal

1 Like

Check

Check (I call mine a training bike.)

check

Nope.

Nope

Track bike. Check.

Check

. . .and then there’s the wife’s bike, the kids’ bikes, all total about 9 or 10, but at least they aren’t all mine!

1 Like

Acceptable for what Richard? There are a number of ‘drive on’ summits where people use motor vehicles; only walking (in some cases) a few feet to their actual activating position to comply with the rules.

Having said that, I agree with your suggestion in terms of the ‘spirit of SOTA’. A pedelec should be classed as using human effort to get there.

1 Like

Good point!

1 Like

Which prompts the thought that if you use a powered bike to support your antenna you are breaking the rules!

1 Like

50/50 on that one Brian, it could be permissable to use the bike to support the aerial pole because the activator will have used some effort on a Pedalec to reach the summit.

1 Like

That quibble doesn’t work, Phil. A Pedalec might be underpowered but it is still powered, I would reject the notion that there is a continuum between unpowered and fully powered, if it is powered to any extent then you can no more fix an antenna to it than you would to a car. Incidentally, at one point the GR refers to “non-motorized” bikes being permissable (3.7.1.3) but that part of the GR needs a bit of sorting out.

1 Like

Perhaps if the power is only used half the time, then you can only use the antenna for half your usual contacts. or on only one mode instead of two, or run half power?

1 Like

This question should never need to arise Brian - all the summits I can think of that can be ridden up to on an E-Bike have other objects to fix the aerial pole to, in the case of Round Hill, a fingerpost, an ancient stone boundary marker 3 feet tall (which I chose last week) or the trig point itself. Take your pick. This thread is turning into Pedantry at its best, but I must confess it is a bit of a laugh. (Surely?)…

Phil

3 Likes