Which bike might be best for SOTA?

Interesting idea but didn’t I read somewhere that hydraulic disc brakes don’t like being upside down? Bikes upside down is an area of significant controversy in the cycling World (I kid you not).

2 Likes

All I can say is my brakes work fine after being upside down. And I’d be wary of trusting my life to a manufacturer that said their brakes would be iffy if ever put upside down!

3 Likes

I’m told that the ideal number of bikes is n+1, where n is the current number owned. In fact I find that formula works for many of my hobbies.

4 Likes

Doesn’t work for wives/girlfriends however. The rule here seems to be serial not parallel.

:blush:

3 Likes

I have a friend who is a very keen cyclist. He says there is a concept in their club called D-1. It means you have one bike less than the number that triggers a D.

1 Like

An even half-keen cyclist will own:

A best road bike
A winter road bike
A hard tail mountain bike
A full sus-er
A gravel bike
A fixie
A cheap runabout bike for shopping

3 Likes

I think my friend has about that many and remarked he may be nearing D-1 now! He has started to build his own frames now so is right in the thick of it…

1 Like

I was originally going to comment along those lines; but thought I might be criticised for irreverence (/irrelevance?).
The process of n+1 can make you more interesting and lead to M. The trick is to find that magic level of D-1. Reaching D can lead to n-1 until the books balance again :cry:

Anyway thanks Richard. I have enjoyed a couple of bike SOTAs and can attest to their effectiveness in speeding up long approaches (especially on the way back). I chose my hybrid as a suitable compromise. I prefer to use a pannier if possible to keep the centre of gravity low (easier than going on a diet :wink:)

1 Like

Certainly seems to apply (suitably modified) to a number of musicians of my acquaintance. Some of them even refer to the propensity as G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome).

1 Like

Hi, perhaps it is time to dust off my 30 year old Yamaha XT600. This beast will take me there, although I have not yet tried braking upside down!
/ Lars

5 Likes

Is that where I put the mudguards back on my ‘summer’ road bike?

2 Likes

G3CWI,
Early hydraulic brakes had problems if stored for months upside down but not short term.

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like

Single pot 4 stroke thumper…nice. But not as nice as a single pot 2 stroke screamer.

I had a quick blast on an Yamaha IT250 37 years ago… when it hit the power band it nearly pulled my arms off. Scared the bejesus out of me and I stuck to gutless bikes like CG125s etc. till I decided I didn’t want to become an “organ donor” and gave up powered 2 wheel vehicles.

So I see your XT600 and raise you either an IT465 or YZ465.

YZ465

IT465 complete with a chubby old balding bloke (makes me feel better see old chubbies like me having fun)

:motorcycle: Ring-de-ding-de-ding-ding-ding-ding-brrrrrrrp-ding-ding-ding :motorcycle:

Richard, get out and make your e-bike video.

4 Likes

I have done a couple of winter bike activations since getting my new Giant Fathom E-Mountain bike in July this year. More planned for the summer months ahead. The fun never stops on an E-bike. Photo is on ZL1/WL-138

7 Likes

…until the battery runs out anyway. Nice bike.

3 Likes

How small does your shelter pack down to? I have a sort of similar one, it packs down to a circular package of about 50cm (19”) diameter. But it isn’t light… it is great in cold, windy or wet weather as well as in bright sunshine as the rig, the logging tablet and the operator all stay out of the weather.

Cheers
Andrew
VK1DA/VK2UH

1 Like

I have activated using my Yamaha WR250R. Pack on the back & I’m off.
Motor bikes have an accelearator that works as well as brakes that work.

Compton
PS; Its a blue one with only a few minor mods such as the blue tooth connection to the helmet for the VX6 and of course the obligatory anderson outlet.

1 Like

:+1: Marin Murwood, moly frame with dropouts second to none.
I am preparing mine for Switzerland Summer 2020 touring.

Cheers
Pascal Nguyen

2 Likes

Well, if nothing else, this thread has got me doing a bike-activated SOTA today - S2S with MS0TA/P (Andy) and a contact with EA2IF/P** (Guru) whilst sitting in the sunshine (most of the time!) with a grand view of the sea. What more could one ask for?

Portable HF station safely stowed in ‘vehicle’ …

**Correction: not /P with EA2IF

6 Likes

Hi Andy,
You did work Andy MSØTA/P on S2S but not me. I noticed and got surprised when you told me TNX fer S2S at the end of our QSO on 30m, but I wasn’t activating. I was home and my callsign was EA2IF not EA2IF/P. I didn’t tell you anything to avoid slowing down your activation and making other chasers wait, but. please, correct your log.
Right after our QSO, I chased Andy MSØTA/P, who was just 500Hz up from you.
Unfortunately I missed you both on 20m because I was busy cooking lunch.
I hope you had a good activation.

Guru

2 Likes