What you need for cold weather! Giveaway (FREE stuff)

The item is knitted.
Simon (GM4JXP), you are awarded a ticket for the comment :wink:
About 26 tickets awarded so far.
It is very easy to get a ticket: Comment here or on my videos on YouTube or work me S2S this summer (until winner is drawn)

Have a great weekend everyone!
73 de LA3NGA Henning

A SOTA flag?

A handwarmer for CW paddles

Maybe a long warm underpants :wink: or a face mask.

I think this is pretty close. Specifically, a muff that could hold the hands and the key/paddle?

There will be no muffdiving after my giveaway :wink:
I will film a little this weekend so you all know what you might win…
Over 2% chance at winning as it stands now, so I think we need to amp it up a bit! Come on, share the giveaway? Will you?

I’m still worried it might be a willie warmer…
Plenty of patterns available on Ravelry.com and the like, so clearly a demand for it.

It was revealed recently:

Minute 20:48

Pls no offence Henning but please take me from the list. I don’t see myself walking around with it. I am more in the microfibre and Merino wool game. Increasing the chances for all other commenters.

But keep up the great work with your videos. :+1:

73 Joe

Thanks Joe! I watched most of that video but must have missed the reveal.

I have now removed you Joe. if you change your mind about this wool(80%) neck-cover, let me know…

1 Like

Neither do I, as I usually hike up with little clothing. But I like putting on various layers of fleezes, windstopper, hats, etc as soon as I get up to the summit and stop there for the activation. I see Henning’s mother gift as a perfect accessory to be used during the activation in cold weather.
I have and use a similar thing and it’s very nice and helpful to keep you warm after the hike up.

Guru

I’m hoping it is a black wooly balaclava for that Counterstrike terrorist look!
As long as it keeps you warm, and it might stop the comedians trying to crack an old joke whilst you are concentrating on CW activation!

Watched the Electrician video, awesome stuff!

Mark. M0NOM

4 Likes

Same here - significant ascents in cold weather used to make me feel quite ill till I realised I was overdressed and consequently overheating. Now, (or rather when I used to be able to get out :-s) unless the temperature at the start is less than about -5C, just a merino base layer and Paramo jacket and trousers keeps me warm enough for the ascent, I add overfleece, neck warmer etc. after setting up to keep me cosy during the activation. It’s a bit of a shock to the system, but I always remove the overfleece before descending because I know if I don’t within a few minutes I’ll be sweating and gasping…

I love your knitted neck warmer Henning, it’d go very nicely as a pre-activation addition under my overfleece :wink: And come in as an excellent Covid face covering in the meantime :rofl:

73 Paul G4MD

3 Likes

Exactly the same here!

2 Likes

It’s so different.

When I run up the mountain in the cold, for example, with snowshoes, I need clothing that keeps the body dry. Then I take my ski underwear. — If I do not come in sweat - I love my merino underwear.

Most of the time it is windy on the mountains, so I close the window with my 3layer Gore.

What I have also learned to love again at SOTA is my down jacket. It weighs almost nothing and can be compressed strongly.

But always many layers… in germany we call this the “onion system”

73 Armin

4 Likes

Very good idea! I asked my girlfriend to make one like that for me.
Hope to work you on the air sometime. Fat chance on a S2S from here. de John Paul // AB4PP

1 Like

Highly recommend this too. I normally pack it on the outside of my rucksack, just rolled up, then it doesn’t take any space (and I can deploy the rain cover if required to stop it getting soaked) but equally stuffed into a dry bag with the air squeezed out can be an option. I find a thin but windproof and waterproof jacket and the puffer work really well compared to a heavier single jacket.

Onion!

Mark.

2 Likes

My wife started knitting during the shutdown. She found a charity, Alice’s Embrace, that provides blankets to Alzheimer’s care facilities. I’m amazed how much work each item takes, so hats off to all the knitters.

3 Likes