What is the SOTA activations record in a single day?

I searched in the reflector, but I was unable to find any information about it. Sorry if it is a dupe.
As we are planning to activate many summits as possible in just 24h here in Brazil we’d like to know how many summits someone was able to activate in only one day, so we’d have a benchmark.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Douglas,
I don’t know if this is a WR but I hope this ultramarathon carried out by Chris @ZL4RA can give an idea or inspiration:

Guru

4 Likes

I did four in a day last week, 6 in 2 days. but I think Chris takes the cake

3 Likes

Mine is 12 I think, but I don’t think that’s a record. I’m pretty sure some DL and OK activators have done more than that in a day.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I figured, surely plenty of folks have done heaps more than 12 in DL/OK eh. That’s what we managed in ZL3 and it was a fairly full on effort 4am → 11pm in bad weather with plenty of the summits done in the dark.

Every association is so different, the numbers aren’t comparible in the slightest its just a vanity metric when compared inter-association :slight_smile:

Still, PY1II, do as many as you can it’s a really fun challenge!

5 Likes

Of course, there is something “sporty” about doing so many summits in one day.
But the number also depends on many factors. How close are the mountains?
It’s probably easier if you don’t have to walk much and can make your 4 QSOs with the chaser community waiting for you in less than 2 minutes on 2m FM.

It’s different if you have to walk over a km/ over 150 metres of altitude per summit and then set up your equipment and antenna for HF.

I only do HF … and I often do 2 to 3 summits a day. I have also done 4 to 5 on long days.
I could probably do 7 or 8 on very long days in summer in my area, but I don’t think I could enjoy it then. The fun factor would be very limited.

73 Armin

4 Likes

Blimey… in the UK? When was that (I can then look in your log to save you typing out all the summits)?

3 Likes

My case was 4 without vehicle movement in a path. It took 11 hours and 11km.
1 Mt Harunafuji 18QSO
2 Mt Eboshigatake 10QSO
3 Mt Bingushiyama 15QSO
4 Mt Kamondake 12QSO
all HF operation

14 Likes

Unverified but there is a claim for 24 activations in a 24hr period.

3 Likes

1st March 2020. Though it was only 11 - I had exaggerated the feat in my memory!

5 Likes

Hey, don’t forget this one from Mister sotl.as

73 de hb9fvk

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure there is a real 14 in one day that took place a few years back. I can’t access the DB console from work or I would look for it.

1 Like

You’ve gone to work?

1 Like

I’ve gone to work just about every Mon-Fri since Mar 16th 2020. Work is now in the kitchen where I sit with the laptop and try not eat toast with every cup of tea. But the works laptop is connected to the works VPN and so the firewall at the VPN stops me accessing the SOTA servers directly.

3 Likes

Ah, I thought you’d left the house. Maybe next year…

1 Like

If we exclude

• clearly bogus entries for one activator (28 summits on one day with one contact per activation)
  • two activation “marathons” perfomed by the same 4 chasers/activators in 2007 (23 and 24 activations),

the highest number of activations in one day was 15 back in 2007.

In 2016, the maximum was 10.
In 2017, the maximum was 9.
In 2018, the maximum was 11.
In 2019, the maximum was 10.
In 2020, the maximum was 11.
In 2021, the maximum was 10.

So about 10 seems to be the best you can do for “normal” activations in the regions with a very high density of easily accessible summts.

4 Likes

Is the 28 not someone submitting a chase log as activations?

Indeed… still unverified, but thought not to be “in the spirit of SOTA” when you take your chasers with you. Thankfully no-one else has tried to repeat this, which does not surprise me given the furore at the time. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

The 28 in one day is a spreadsheet being helpful error. The summitref was entered in one line and the QSO details entered. Then instead of copying the entry for the summitref to the lines below, the data was copied and the spreadsheet updated the summit ref on each subsequent line. So line 1 was was WS-001, line 2 was WS-002, line 3 was WS-003 etc. and each line was treated as a separate activation. I’ll mail the activator so he can fix it. 28 QSOs resulted in 28 1 QSO activations.

3 Likes

Hi guys, thanks for all answers. You are great! The question was originated by pure curiosity over here, but now we do plan to try as many activations as possible in a single day. It will be very funny!
And sorry for my delayed answer. We are working in our own reflector in Portuguese, organizing a Marathon (from April to October - Mountain Season), repeat the Brazilian SOTA Weekend (it was a success last year) and refactoring our website (sotabrasil.com.br - refactoring not yet ready).