Weight of transceiver

Hi Friends,

I use nowadays three SOTA transceivers (in order I got them) :
HB1-B
KX2
SW-3B
Weight of each one including battery and ATU is about 0,5 kg

Do you know any other transceiver which is noticeably lighter ?

73, Jarek

2 Likes

My QRP-Labs QCX+ Mini is certainly lighter than my HB-1B but is only single band.

1 Like

Any of the MTR…ATS-3

Tim - K5DEZ

3 Likes

OH Yes…I forgot my QCX-mini’s as stated above.

1 Like

I also need to precise: it is preferred trx has 3 basic bands: 7, 10 & 14MHz.
If lighter (including battery and ATU) what is the difference ?

73, Jarek

QCX minis are quite heavy really, the case is extremely robust.

My lightest MTR is a two band version in an Altoids tin and weighs 80 grams.

My home built MTR-5B in home made case weighs 160g if I remember correctly.

I’m not sure what the newest MTR-4B weighs, but it also includes a few extra bits, like VSWR meter. The previous versions of MTRs are no longer being offered for sale.

You could always try a RockMite in a mint tin! :slight_smile:

Colin

3 Likes

I’m watching this thread with interest since I have started to realise that the tr(u)sdx may not be the solution (I had the same question a few months ago, and chose the tr(u)sdx due too being cheap and available).

The mountain toppers are about 4 times the price of the QCX-mini - I’m wondering if the price difference gives a corresponding improvement in performance (or if the main difference is the extra bands)?

2 Likes

The general vibe that I’m picking up is that the uSDX in various flavours just isn’t very good. Seems like a novelty / experimental rig rather than a serious, finished product. That’s not to knock the experimentation - experimentation leads to innovation.

I own several QCXs and I find the receiver disappointing. Most of the time I have to have the AF gain at full. Occasionally you hear a strong station and then the volume is uncomfortably loud. The AGC option improves things for strong stations but then I find the recovery time is too slow.

I really like the MTR receiver, the gain is fixed, but it does a great job at levelling- you can still hear the weak stations, but the strong stations are never deafening. The sidetone on the MTR is much nicer than on the QCX.

I run my QCXs purely because I have the matching 50w amp but if I’m running QRP, then I’d choose one of my MTRs every time.

73, Colin

5 Likes

MTR weights for interest. Unfortunately I don’t own any of the MTR-4B versions.

73, Colin

6 Likes

MTR-3B old version is a leader :wink:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

To offer an alternative veiwpoint, I considered overall rucksack weight at the beginning. However, given that I usually carry way more safety equipment, clothing, food and water than radio gear, I don’t worry about it anymore and see little benefit in trimming what is essentially a few gulps of water from the overall weight.

Just to make you feel better, here’s my offering of a fully loaded KX3 including batteries:

and FYI, my typical rucksack weight is 12-13 Kg, heavy duty mast and walking sticks included. You’re not allowed ask the combined weight of OP and rucksack :wink:

5 Likes

Hi,
The MTR series offer the best compromise for performance, frequency agility and weight for QRP CW rigs imo. Needs a resonant antenna and a battery. I also use amplified headphones for more comfortable Rx levels.

For SSB and CW the front runner in the low weight race is the KX2 with internal battery and ATU.

My current KX2 backpack weighs 4.2 kg inc water, first aid kit and an energy bar. 7 m pole and walking sticks not included but straps and guys with pegs for mast and a small hammer for the pegs are.

The KX2 is also out in front price wise. Ouch.

The 705 and matching ATU is performs slightly better than the KX2 imo but weighs more. It’s more rugged too. Not as rugged as an FT817 but the screen in that is getting harder to read as I age.

YMMV.

Ron
VK3AFW

4 Likes

(tr)sSDX 5bands multimode, 140gms

3 Likes

BTW, There is an MTR3B-LCD offered on ebay, but ships to the US only…
https://www.ebay.com/itm/204003768629?hash=item2f7f927935:g:siwAAOSwP8Fis2Sl

2 Likes

I agree with this view.

I find the discussion of weight of portable transceivers can be a bit misleading making meaningful choices difficult. Better to consider a sliding scale of weight vs functionality, or compare weights for different classes of rigs (e.g. CW QRP monobanders, all-HF multimoders).

There are other factors (e.g. volume, robustness, power output) but their effects are usually second order.

There’s also the diminishing effect of low weight. Even my 80-10m multimode KX2 isn’t significant compared to my typical packed rucksack weight.

2 Likes

But we can make a guess - this could be fun:

• Less than 90kg
  • 90kg - 95kg
  • 96kg - 100kg
  • 101kg - 105kg
  • 106kg - 110kg
  • 111kg - 115kg
  • 116kg - 120kg
  • More than 120kg
0 voters

I know where I am on that scale, but I’m not saying :rofl:

Rob

1 Like

The lightest rig I have used weighed nothing (to me). My companion (M0WAD) was trying to keep fit and VOLUNTEERED to carry the 857 and battery across many first activations with me.

How I miss his company!

David
G0EVV

5 Likes

I know this is a little astray of the original poster’s query.

The weight I carry is entirely destination dependent. It varies wildly. Multi-day backpacks can run as high as 35-40 pounds. Easy summits are really not much less because I carry a table, chair, drone, tripods, big masts, etc. I like to keep the pack heavy to help with conditioning. Hard summits I can usually pare that back to 15 lbs or so, but often water will add a lot back in. Out west here water is often not found on the trail and it gets pretty hot.

Another country heard from,
Eric
KG6MZS

3 Likes

LNR MTR 3 LCD is probably the better option between weight and performance. I sold mine past year and still remember It.

2 Likes

I bought my LNR MTR-3B LCD secondhand and it had a rattle. I suspected loose nuts on the display window. Also the frequency calibration was way off.

A few months ago I stripped the rig and found the loose nuts. I was surprised to discover that there weren’t any trimmers to adjust the RX band pass filters, the filters use fixed value SMT parts. I’m guessing the reason behind the fixed value parts is to aid manufacture.

I suspect that no frequency alignment is done either, explaining the frequency error that I found.

I used my home built GPS locked frequency counter to calibrate the MTR and I tightened all of the display screws.

The rig works fine now and seems to be exactly on frequency. Gosh I love my new frequency counter, such a cool project!

My other LNR Precision MTR-3B was also poorly aligned and off frequency, so that got treatment too!

73, Colin

5 Likes