Weight of transceiver

Yes & no for this because everything is depends on the goal …
When I want to make huge activation with many S2S on both CW and SSB of course I will take KX2 :wink:

If I intend to trek high mountains with linear walking or need trx for trip where may be many activations during one day I will take the lightest one :wink:

Anyway, all experiences and information published here may be useful :wink:

73, Jarek

4 Likes

Yes and yes! You go on to give two examples on my ‘weight vs functionality’ scale.

2 Likes

with 3x 18650s and switchmodes, BMS etc.

2 Likes

FT818, wincamp battery, aluminium rails, anderson power pole adapter

I have switched to using my KX1 almost exclusively for SOTA. I just weighed it in at 378 grams. That includes internal batteries in place. This is for a 3 band model with the ATU.

2 Likes

To emphasize the points I made at post 15 above …

KX2 … 422 grams … 9 band model with the ATU
Weight difference = 44g ~= 2 mouthfuls of water ~= 40cc of belly fat.

When rigs weigh this little, their weight becomes irrelevant (or worse, just a pissing contest) compared to the total weight carried. At these low weights, the functionality becomes the dominant factor.

Is that with an internal battery installed?

I missed that on your post. It doesn’t (I don’t use one) so add 150g.
Weight difference: 8 mouthfuls of water or 160cc of belly fat.

That is the right approach. There is much more weight saving potential :sweat_smile:

Same goes for the ultralight backpack discussion. That is relevant if you thru hike a country for multiple weeks or month but not for dayhikes. Better reduce the personal survival rings :hippopotamus:
(yes I am talking about myself)

73 Joe

1 Like

Hah! Joe, how did you know?

1 Like

As stated above. Some self reflection

1 Like

Good point. I’m going to start taking my K3.

1 Like

If only I had 8 mouthfuls of water of excess belly fat. We can but dream.

2 Likes

It wasn’t the water that was my problem. Beer maybe (weighs about the same as water out of the body but significantly more once the belly has worked its magic)

Without battery, without atu.
160 m to 4 m

73 de Pierre F5MOG

2 Likes

One of my old goals: LD-5 :wink:

73, Jarek

The MTR 2B or 3B with RCA connector is hard to beat. I even replaced the case on my 2B with a lightweight 3d printed version, shaving about half the weight. End fed half-wave antennas with no feed line make for a small, light antenna.

Then there’s the Pixie crammed in an Altoids Smalls tin. Admittedly, this is a marginal performer, but the whole kit is about 50 g.

Uploading: IMG_20200117_165936.jpg…
Uploading: IMG_20200501_184325.jpg…
Processing: IMG_20200503_203011.jpg…

And then there’s this little guy.

2.6 g without the antenna or battery.

5 Likes

I bow down before your superior weight weenieness!

RCA’s are not only light, they are survivable. BNC’s have the vice that when you stand on them wrong, the locking ring can’t be straightened out enough to get it on.

Pro-tip: remove the locking ring from your male BNC’s. It’s 5g. Then when you catch the wire with your foot, it just pulls out. (saw it off before making your cables)

Have you looked at Spam tins? They are all aluminium.

1 Like