W4G Fall Campout 2022

Location: Lake Winfield Scott Campground - Lake Winfield Scott Rec, Recreation - Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - Recreation.gov
When: Wed-Sun, Oct 12-16, 2022

Our fall campout is returning to its rightful home in W4G after having to cross the border into NC last year. Our base of operations this year will be in the Forest Service campground at Lake Winfield Scott. The campgroud is located smack dab in the middle of the high point summits in North Georgia. You can hike directly from the campground up to the Appalachian Trail and the highest summit on the AT in Georgia - W4G/NG-004 - Blood Mtn.

IMPORANT NOTE - You can only reserve campsites six months in advance and the earliest that you can make a reservation for the entire campout weekend will be on Saturday, April 16th, 2022.

There are two campsite loops in the campground and they have a mix of sites suitable for tents, small trailers/RVs and a few with electrical hookups. There are bath houses with showers on both loops. I have reserved the group campsite (exception to the six month rule) which can accomodate a few tenters, but more importantly it has a large fire pit and four picnic tables grouped together which will be a great common hangout spot. The group campsite (tent icon) is next to the south loop with trails that lead down to the south loop. Campsites 1-6 are very conveniently located to the group site, but any site on the south loop is very close. The campsites on the north loop are at least a 5-10 minute walk from the south loop.

If you are a tent camper and interested in the group site, shoot me a DM for availability.

73, pat - ki4svm

9 Likes

On the calendar! Looking forward to it!

I am going ahead and posting a tenative list of campsites for people that have already spoken up for planning purposes. Not that any of the individual campsites have/can be reserved yet and will update as soon as they are ā€˜official.ā€™

Campsite Activators
Group Pat-KI4SVM, Ryan-WG4I, Paula-K9IR,Michael-N4DCW,Ariel-NY4G
5 Andrew-KD5ZZK
12 Mark-AE1MS & Jean-AE1JS
15 Andy-N4LAG & Debbie
?? Tom-K4SWL

73, pat - ki4svm

1 Like

Liz and I plan to go but we donā€™t know which site we will get at this time. We will be taking our 17 foot travel trailer.

Ron and Liz
NR3E and K1LIZ

Let me know if anyone need specifics and/ or pictures for any site before reserving. I can go and take pictures since this is pretty much in my backyard and I am up in that area every week activating something.

1 Like

Before we got the Interagency Pass, we went in one time to just drive through. Told the guy at the gate we were there to look at some campsites before we made our reservation. He let us right in without paying.

Of course, YMMV.

1 Like

Well, today is the day that reserving individual campsites has opened up! It looks like all 4 of the sites with electric hookups are already booked, but there are still plenty of sites on the south loop. We can probably accomodate 2-3 more tents on the group campsite, so just let me know if you are interested.

Campsite Activators
Group Pat-KI4SVM, Ryan-WG4I, Paula-K9IR,Michael-N4DCW,Ariel-NY4G,KO4LIT-Dee,Jamie-AA4K
1 Ron-NR3E
4 Tom-K4SWL
6 Dean-K2JB
7 Ben-KO4KVH
13 Andy-N4LAG & Debbie
14 Scott-KW4JM & Jeanette

73, pat - ki4svm

2 Likes

Now, that Tim has booked campsite 11, it looks like the south loop is fully booked for the weekend. The group site is already full, but Tim has offered to share his larger campsite if anyone is interested. There is one reservable spot in the north loop, but the rest of the sites in the north loop are first come-first serve so it really shouldnā€™t be a problem showing up during the week and finding a site.

Campsite Activators
Group Pat-KI4SVM, Ryan-WG4I, Paula-K9IR,Michael-N4DCW,Ariel-NY4G,KO4LIT-Dee,Jamie-AA4K
1 Ron-NR3E
4 Tom-K4SWL
6 Dean-K2JB
7 Ben-KO4KVH
11 Tim-N9PUZ
13 Andy-N4LAG & Debbie
14 Scott-KW4JM & Jeanette

73, pat - ki4svm

3 Likes

Hello,

If Tim (N9PUZ) is still willing to share his site I would like to claim the spot, please!

Thank you,
Scott - N4AAJ

1 Like

Scott ā€“ Sending a private message.

Tim N9PUZ

1 Like

We have site 21 on the North Loop. We may have a camper by then and that was the only one with electric left.

1 Like

Is there a north loop or another camping area ? appears most are reserved i have a small teardrop camper

KC5BG mike

Hi Mike,

With the exception of the site that Richard just grabbed in the north loop, I think that all of the north loop is first come - first serve. Not sure what day you were thinking of arriving on , but there should be plenty of spots available on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday would probably not be a problem either and I have a ā€˜decoy tentā€™ that I could throw out on a site if needed to stake a claim!

73, pat - ki4svm

2 Likes

My goal is to arrive at the campsite Thursday afternoon so Iā€™m happy to snag a North loop spot that evening then vacate it for someone in our party to use Friday evening onward and Iā€™ll move to the group site if that would help anyone. Just let me know. I also have a decoy tent if needed.

1 Like

I love that term. ā€œDecoy Tentā€. :smile:

Kind of reminds me of people who have tried using a doll or mannequin to use the HOV lanes!

2 Likes

Ron ā€“

Even though I have already reserved it, Iā€™d appreciate seeing some pictures of Site #11 if you are up that way some time.

Tim N9PUZ

Does the National Forest area require visitors to have any sort of permit to hike, etc. within the boundaries?

Tim N9PUZ

Nope, no access fees by and large. A couple of places, like Brasstown Bald, have parking fees so have a few bucks on hand.

73, pat - ki4svm

1 Like

I realize weā€™re still away out but I have never been to this area before. Does anyone have information on which nearby summits are drive-ups, which require hikes of different skill levels, etc.? Any suggestions are appreciated so I can gather maps, etc.

Tim N9PUZ

1 Like

Tim,

Iā€™ve been casually using the mapping feature on www.sotl.as to determine the same thing and am slowly constructing an activation plan. Hopefully it will be helpful to you as well.

1 Like