W4G Fall Campout 2022

Hi Tim,

Never too early to start dreaming, I mean planning activations. Good info is so important when trying to plan a trip when you aren’t familiar with the area. I just started putting together a map that you can reference and I will be adding more summits/info soon.

73, de pat - WW4D

6 Likes

This is a great idea! Thanks for putting this together, Pat!

I have added what I think will be the usual suspects to the map. I recommend turning off the labels (in Settings above the map). I have divided them up into a few categories that I hope help, but many summits could be in multiple lists. Bell Knob has an amazing view, but it is a drive-up.

• Drive-ups and short hikes - Not too many drive-ups, but lots of hikes that are less than a mile one-way
  • Longer hikes - 1-3 miles one-way but not too steep
  • Strenous - These are steeper or longer hikes, maybe off-trail and will get your blood pumping
  • Scenic - Better than average views but you will have to earn some of these
  • Southern AT Summits - The first 5 SOTA summits along the AT have easy access and easy pickens!
5 Likes

Pat and all,

Thank you for your efforts on the maps! They will be a huge help once I can dig out of my backlog here.

I am retiring as of August 31st. My colleagues are realizing all of the things I’ve been warning someone needs to learn for the past six months have been delayed way too long. :rofl: However, I’ve been very busy because of their poor planning.

Tim N9PUZ

3 Likes

Might want to add Big Cedar. It makes a good 2-fer with Black Mountain since they share a parking lot.

Edit: NVM, I see it on there. :slight_smile: Brain cloud again.

2 Likes

Another general question about the campground area itself… Is there cell service to allow posting alerts, etc. with SOTA Spotter, etc.?

Tim N9PUZ

I’ve got this on my calendar, but may not be able to make it due to some possible conflicts. If I come, I’ll show up early in the week and grab one of the first-come spots in the north loop. Bruce K9OZ

3 Likes

A while back I mentioned I had reserved Site #11 at Lake Winfield Scott Campground for the W4 SOTA Campout in October. The site can accommodate 4 tents and 4 vehicles. I received several “I may be interested” emails, but I only heard back from 3 people who definitely wanted a spot. Adding myself, that accounts for all four spots at Site 11. These are the people I am expecting:

1. Tim N9PUZ
  2. Dave KO4YLZ
  3. Scott N4AAJ
  4. Paula K9IR

Tim N9PUZ

1 Like

Is there a good chance for a first come/first serve site. I plan to come if possible. looks like most of the reserved sites are booked. I have a teadrop and would like an electric site, water optional. Could even use a site with no elect or water if i had to.
Mike KC5BG

1 Like

Hi Mike,

What day do you think you might arrive? If it is before Thursday afternoon, I would say you could almost guarantee finding a space. But, a number of us will be there on Wednesday and could snag a site for you. Looks like most of the first come/first serve sites have electricity, but no water though.

73, pat - ki4 . . . ww4d

1 Like

I was thinking about arrival on Thursday afternoon, but maybe Wednesday might work. i don’t really need water but electricity would be good. I’ll have to wait a while and see what happens but may give it a go, especially since it is first come first serve.

I always get confused by the dates for these events ;-). Is Sunday October 16 considered a travel date or an active date (with travel the following day)? I know I can stay however long I want, but just wondering who may be around.

I’m planning on arriving Monday morning and grabbing a first come site. If anyone else will be at the campground around then, let me know; maybe we can do some joint activations.

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

Hey Paula,

I’m definitely planning on activating on Sunday October 16, and hope to activate Monday October 17 during my trip home. If things go well, I hope to arrive at Lake Winfield Scott the evening of October 5. I’ve set spots for my intended schedule, except for the last couple of days, which I need to figure out.

Paul - N1ZF

2 Likes

Tnx, Paul. Glad to learn you are joining the gang again ;-).

Tnx also for the info. I am going to use your alerts as a guide for what I may be able to activate each day once I arrive. I’ve activated several summits east of the campground, but want to activate all new summits on this trip. I’m in the middle of planning, so this info really helps. If you’re OK with it, I may join you on some summits.

73 Paula k9ir

Has anyone taken the alternate route on Mill Creek Rd. to Double Spring/Round Top (NG-007 and NG-013)?

In October 2021, AE1JS reported Wildcat Rd. is closed at the first gate due to erosion, thereby requiring an 8-9 mile hike just to get to Addis Gap. He posted an alternate approach from Mill Creek Rd. west of the summits.

Tnx for any updated intel!

73 Paula k9ir

2 Likes

I don’t have any real updates, but Paul-N1ZF has both of them on his list for next week before the campout. He should be able to give you an update on actual road conditions. FS 26-2 (Mill Creek) from the west should be open in any case and that was confirmed by the Blueridge Ranger’s office this morning. Wildcat (FS 26-1) remains closed and it sounds like it may remain that way for a while pending funding for the major repairs that it needs.

1 Like

Tnx very much, Pat. Sounds like an approach from the west is required. I have the info for both. I emailed Paul directly when I saw he also plans t activate here, but he’s probably busy getting ready to depart ;-).

73 Paula k9ir

1 Like

We are just two weeks out from the campout and it is definitely starting to feel like fall (with a bit of hurricane wx this weekend). If you are planning on attending and haven’t received an email from me within the last day, please shoot me an email or DM here.

73, pat - ki4 . . . ww4d

2 Likes

What a great weekend in the north Georgia mountains! Other than a little dampness on Wednesday night, we had perfect camping weather - brisk in the mornings and warm in the afternoons. The trees were about at their peak in colors but for some reason I didn’t take any pictures of the amazing views. Lots of stories and company were enjoyed around the campfires at night and maybe a few beverages.

Propagation was very good on HF and the 2m S2S action was intense. Many activators decided to stick with VHF and make the most of their trip hitting many summits a day. Why not when you can make 15-20 S2Ss in a matter of minutes!

Activators came from all over - 8 states and 5 out of the 6 W4 SOTA associations were represented. We had everything from very young (and proficient) hams to grizzled old mountain goats (although I identify more as a mountain tortoise :rofl:) and everything in between. Not everyone was albe to be at the dinner on Saturday evening but I counted 30 people that night. Many thanks to @KX4JN, @N0CRL and @KX4NMC for the use of their campsite for the festivities (and BOOOOO! to the U.S. government for commandeering our group campsite :upside_down_face:).

A big congrats to @WG4I - Ryan for making double MG on Saturday during the campout. I am honored to be your fourth contact putting him over the top.

Thank you to everyone that was able to attend this fall as well as our faithful chasers and fellow activators around the world. And for those who weren’t able to attend, there is always the next campout to look forward to. I will be posting details on next springs and fall campouts very soon!

73, pat - ww4d

8 Likes

We had a great time and wish we could have been there for more than just Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Thanks to everyone who made this event happen.

Maybe we missed it since we were only there towards the end, but it occurred to me after we got home that it would have been fun to have a bit of a show and tell session with what radio related gear everyone uses.

73, Dan - KX4JN

1 Like