VIDEO: OE5JFE First activation of Grosser Buchstein, OE/ST-055

Hello everyone,

It’s again via ferrata time with Anna :slight_smile:
This time we are in Styria - the green heart of Austria - at the national park Gesäuse. The reason why this well know summit was not activated before is not clear to me. There are multiple routes leading up. Most include a stay at the newly (2010) renovated hut Buchsteinhaus.

Most popular route to Grosser Buchstein OE/ST-055 is the Südwandband - grade B - via ferrata using a narrow rock formation that traverses almost the full southern flank of this summit.

Red line is the via ferrata:

Weather was perfect and stable so no time pressure from thunderstorms approaching.
Unfortunatly we started our hike on a Friday and we go delayed in a traffic jam. So no warm dinner for us but we called and they had a cold platter of ham, cheese and bread for us.

Anna was struggling with blisters but was fighting thru like a champion - with blisterpatches :checkered_flag:. The via ferrata gave her motivation to continue on.

But see for yourself with wide and deep views to the Gesäuse Nationalpark.

Video:

Pictures:
Evening scenery

View to summit (evening)

In the morning some fog in the valley

In the via ferrata

Summit reached

View north to Kleiner Buchstein, Tieflimauer, Almmauer and Tamischbachturm

Buchsteinhaus on our way back

Thanks for all the chasers on 2m FM and 20m SSB with 6 S2S

73 Joe

19 Likes

Hello Joe @OE5JFE and Anna.

Thank you for the report and the beautiful pictures :+1::goat::mountain_snow: Another exciting tour you have done. Thanks for the visual tour :slight_smile:

73 Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

Hi Anna & Joe,
Chapeau bas !!!
73, Jarek

1 Like

Hello Joe and Anna, congratulations on your activation; well done, a great achievement. :grinning: :beers: The video and photos are fantastic; with the spectacular views.

73 Geoff vk3sq

1 Like

Excellent video. Very professional!!

1 Like

An amazing adventure in amazing scenery. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Super Aktivierung und ein super Bericht Joe.

Viel Gesundheit

Gruß Michael

DC8YZ

1 Like

Hi Joe and Anna,

Very nice environment, stunning images and a professionally made video.
One feels like be part of the adventure. Well done!

73 Stephan

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. I somehow got the flow with the music this time :sunglasses:

Then my mission to take you along was a success :+1:

73 Joe

4 Likes

Brilliant as always Joe, 'tis a shame the bands are not good at present but glad anyways you and Anna enjoyed yourselves. Absolutely stunning views. Well done both of you.
Best 73 de 2E0AGB Allen

1 Like

Hi Joe,
thanks for another great video and views.
A pity QSB made things difficult for our S2S qso, hope propagation will support us better next time!
Greetings to you and Anna, 73!
Ignacio

Hi Ignacio,

Thanks indeed for our S2S QSO. QSB and then some strange QRM did not allow us to exchange all details. Another time, another chance :slight_smile: Lets hope the best.

73 Joe

Hi Joe and Anna,

impressive again. And I am sure, you gathered a lot of valuable memories.

Greetings to Anna!

73 Ludwig

1 Like