VHF Fun Day

In reply to DC7CCC:
Sorry Mario. Tomorrow only QRV at work.
Have a good fun
73 QRO
Roger

I hope to be on Great Rhos, weather, roads etc permitting. I would appreciate it if people would swing their beams towards mid wales occasionally. Good luck to all the activators and chasers, and I hope the roads are clear so we can all get out.

Thanks

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to DC7CCC:

Hallo Mario,

viel Glück morgen auf dem Dörenberg. Ich kann das Relais DB0ZO hier von zu Hause in Remscheid nicht auftasten. Die Frequenz ist belegt mit dem Relais DB0QA. Daher macht’s wohl auch keinen Sinn meine Handfunke mit auf den Weißen Stein zu nehmen, das ist noch viel weiter von dem Dörenberg entfernt. Vielleicht kann ich Dich ja auf 2m SSB direkt erreichen, ich werde es versuchen.
Viel Spaß morgen beim SOTA VHF Fun Day,

73 Lutz DL3SBA

Fred M0FJM,Billy 2E0WJC & myself have made the decision to cancel tomorrows activation. The roads here are covered & the temperature is set to drop. We’re approx 500ft ASL here and I dread to think what it will be like up in the hills.

If anyone does decide to venture out then for goodness sake please take care, are you really that desperate for points? The hills will be there another day.

73 Fred, Billy & Chris

In reply to 2E0FSR:

We’re approx 500M ASL

Wow! 1540ft up already! I think the people of Flash, Staffs and Wanlockhead maybe miffed at your claim to be in a higher village/town than them :slight_smile:

We’ve had another cm or two since teatime. When I find out who ordered 10 years worth of snow to be delivered over two weeks I’ll give them a good shoeing!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Apologies, 500ft ASL.

Damn Man Flu kicking in.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Damn Man Flu kicking in.

ROTFLMAO! I used to drive through Pudsey regularly when I was a student in Leeds. We’d pick up a guy from our course who lived there and take him to The Karachi in Bradford. Possibly the greatest curryhouse in the Western World. I’ve just checked and it’s still in business. Now how can I justify a 500mile round trip just for a curry…

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Now how can I justify a 500mile round trip just for a
curry…

…just add the possibility of a Unique. No further justification is required.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

…just add the possibility of a Unique. No further justification is required.

Even a Lamb Biryani wouldn’t justify a 500 round trip, unique or not!

73 Chris 2E0FSR

I agree Chris. A lamb biryani certainly wouldn’t justify it. However, butterfly king prawn followed by chicken jalfrezi, with keema rice, peshwari naan, tarka dhall and Bangla beer certainly would. Especially if you had never done any of Rombalds Moor, Sharp Haw or Cracoe Fell before.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Nothing wrong with a little banter. Never had Bangla beer, I rarely drink because of my job. My favourite Indian restaurant sells Cobra beer, a large bottle of that and my vision suffers!

I’m gutted at having to cancel tomorrow but there is plenty of this year left to activate.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

The forecast is good tomorrow, so if the gritters are dealing with that all-important A537, we’re on for it. I strongly recommend Bangla beer. It took me a while to lobby my favourite local restaurant into stocking it, but now they have it on draught. Much better beer than Cobra. Having said that, those giant 660ml bottles of Cobra went down well on New Year’s Eve, and even better after doing GM/ES-001 and GM/ES-005 with Barry GM4TOE and Jimmy M3EYP last August.

The Chester Road Tavern - a great real ale pub here in Macc, and a favourite post-activation jaunt - had a new one on today - “Pride of Pendle Ale”. Very very nice indeed, and with a pleasing reference to G/SP-005! Although I intend it to be Robbie’s Mr Scrooge and mulled wine at the Cat & Fiddle after G/SP-004 tomorrow.

And then maybe a curry, before the withdrawal symptoms set in.

Happy New Year,

Tom M1EYP

In reply to 2E0FSR:

You should check out The Karachi sometime Chris. Trust me, it’s good. It might look a dive but the food is sublime.

Anyway, should I have to cancel tomorrow I’m less upset because I’ve just had some UHF fun. I was able to find the 200mW beacon transmission with ease from the last pass of the recently launched amateur satellite, HO-68. It was really quite strong using an HB9CV and my Icom IC-X21 on +/- 435.79MHz. OK, LOS but it was still 1200km away.

Of course it’s still snowing hard and at first Sarah wanted to know what on Earth I was doing standing in the front garden in a blizzard. Then she saw the aerial and just shook her head. This wasn’t helped by the fact that 10mins outside and I look like a poor man’s Bibendum! :wink: Anyway I’m off for a rendezvous with a bottle of Absolut and a couple of limes.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Friday night is curry night for me and Mrs FSR. Thanks for the heads up Andy, I will certainly try it. It’s nice to go to different places.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

Hi Andy and Chris,

We have number of good Indian restaurants in Macclesfield, but the one I would recommend is The Weston Balti Raj which is in our estate. This is our favourite Indian restaurant and it sells Bangla Beer.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

Yup, snowing here too. The gardens have a new crop of very large snowmen. I won’t be out tomorrow: (a) my daughter’s birthday, (b) still haven’t fixed the 2m linear - waiting for capacitors, I’d blown up the output low-pass filter by using components with a marginal voltage rating, and © the roads look pretty awful at the moment. Mind you, excuse © is enough …

John GM8OTI

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Unfortunately I will not be able to activate anything today. Snow in town is 6in (15cm) deep. Theres no grit or salt on the side roads whatsoever. The cat & fiddle road is supposed to be shut so I cant even get to SP-004. Wx is very sunny but still only -6C so it wont be melting anytime soon. 5 day forecast for Buxton doesnt get above freezing - but I`ll take the sunshine any day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34876007@N00/4240620408/

In reply to DC7CCC:

Danke fürs QSO Mario ! Warst gut zu hören in JO30rr an 2 x 7 Ele.

Alles Gute für das Neue Jahr!

Vy 73, Hardy, DF6PW

In reply to G1INK:

Steve

I tried (and failed) to reach the summit of Shining Tor today. Unfortunately I was unable to set off from home before about 1245 and attempted an ascent from Rainow. There was just one set of tracks on the final part of the route and even with snowshoes I was in up to my thighs at times. It was interesting to see the tracks of the earlier walker as he/she would have sunk much deeper than me and thus their route was very erratic. In the end I gave up, sat on a snow drift and had a leisurely late lunch before turning back.

On the way back I accumulated a stray chocolate Labrador which I eventually left with a slightly reluctant farmer - who didn’t know who it belonged to either.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Some thirty Brits were spotted on summits, plus a fair number of people joining in on Mainland Europe. With conditions over most of the country ranging from unpleasant to hostile the Fun Day seems to have been impressively successful!

Well done, all!

Brian G8ADD