VHF Fun Day

I had a little bit of time today and managed to get up to G/CE-005 for an hour or so to participate in VHF day.

I set up on the North slope of Wendover Woods inside the AZ at the top of the Aston Hill Climb next to the monument. The station comprised the 3 element Sotabeam and about 10-15W of 2m SSB from the 706 II G.

I wasn’t overwhelmed with callers but made 8 very enjoyable QSO’s including 2 S2S. One with David 2E0DAI/P on G/WB-002 and the other with Robert GM4GUF/P on GM/SS-064.

The latter was a satisfying 466km S2S path on 2m… very nice.

Thanks to all callers and to G8XTJ for the spot.

73 Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Glad you made it out to CE-005 again today, Marc. I was out /P on 2m from G/WB-023. I called you on 2m SSB at about 1450 UTC, just after your QSO with 2E0DAI/P, but no response … I think you were beaming the wrong way for me. I managed 8 S2S QSOs on 2m, some on SSB and some on FM. The best DX was GM4GUF/P on GM/SS-064.

73 … hope to catch you on the next one.

Special thanks to the following for the S2S QSOs:

2E0DAI/P G/WB-002,
M0COP/P G/WB-005,
GM4GUF/P GM/SS-064,
M3EYP/P and M1EYP/P G/SP-013,
G3TJE/P G/SC-003,
GW0VMW/P GW/NW-040,
M1DTJ/P G/SP-017.

Heard but not worked: G4MD/P, G0AZS/P.

Surprisingly, I did not hear any of the LD or NP stations (except G4MD/P heard briefly on someone else’s freq, so I couldn’t call him), and yet GM4GUF/P was a good signal all day from Southern Scotland.

Also worked GW0IBE/P, who was almost but not quite at the summit of GW/MW-002. Better luck next time, Richard! Great effort in the terrible conditions.

Walt (G3NYY/P)

The CatCam showed no evidence of a road where the A537 was supposed to be this morning - it was all white. Clicking on the traffic update facility, I learned that the road was coned off at the Macclesfield end. The soup (New England Fish Chowder) was already in the flask and in the rucksack by now, so Jimmy and I set off anyway.

Human nature being what it is, we first drove up Buxton Road to see the cones for ourselves. And indeed they were there. “Gun” I muttered as we turned around to drop back down to the A523. This road was quite icy and snowy in parts even at low level as we passed through Lyme Green and Bosley, so I was less than confident that we would progress up the higher minor lanes to the usual Gun parking spot.

Initial progress up the Leek Old Road out of Rushton Spencer was OK, but then after turning left it was a different matter. The road uphill passing Heaton House Farm had compacted snow right across it, and my front wheels were soon spinning. But my car was moving forward, so I sat with it for the time being. Difficult progress continued, but at least it was progress, and we then found ourselves at the usual parking spot up above Meerbrook village.

Only one person had walked to the summit before us, and some of their footstep choices had not been the best, so progress was slow in snow up to 2 feet deep in places. It was absolutely beautiful though, with clear blue sky and bright sunshine illuminating the pure white landscape.

We set up the tent, 2m SOTA Beam and 80m dipole just to the north of the summit mound. Pegging anything was difficult due to deep snow, and frozen ground beneath. Passers-by, similarly enthused by the bright calm winter scene, remarked about our activity, but more knowledgably than in years past. “Oh, your more of these radio Marilyns people are you?” was one comment, while another explained “You see that one over there?” (pointing at Bosley Cloud), “There’s always someone doing this up there”. I came clean that it was probably me!

The activity was good fun. I kicked off with an 80m CW S2S with Peter G3TJE/P on Beacon Batch G/SC-003. Then it was a case of tail-ending Jimmy M3EYP/P and grabbing 2m FM S2S with David 2E0DAI/P on Brown Clee Hill G/WB-002, Pete M0COP/P on Long Mynd-Pole Bank G/WB-005, Nathan 2E0OCC/P and Brian M0OYG/P on Longridge Fell G/SP-014 and Walt G3NYY/P on Hegdon Hill G/WB-023. And that was all before the ‘official’ start time of the SOTA VHF Fun Day activities at 1300z!

Jimmy the took sole charge of the 2m FM station (VX-110 & SOTA Beam), and operated while I gave more attention to the chasers on 80m CW (FT-817 & inverted-V). Space was restricted with us both operating simultaneously in the tent, and it was hard to focus on our own operating with the noise being made by the other, but the tent did keep the cold off our hands and enabled us to conduct a 4 hour plus activity on this very cold day.

Things quietened down, and we suffered a few “getaways” that went in the SWL logs. Jimmy went outside for a walk, so I switched the SOTA Beam feeder into the FT-817, and had a go on 2m CW. Without a self-spot (because Jimmy’s phone wasn’t getting internet coverage), I called on 144.050MHz CW, and worked Mac M0TXR. We then went to 2m SSB, and made a series of further S2S contacts. These were Chris M1DTJ/P on Billinge Hill G/SP-017, Dave G7SKR/P on Winter Hill G/SP-010, Ian 2E0EDX/P on Hutton Roof Crags G/LD-052, Paul G4MD/P on Cracoe Fell G/NP-032 and Rob G4RQJ/P on Arnside Knott G/LD-058. Considering the weather, and the efforts and care everyone had needed to take to get out, it was a pretty decent haul. Added to our SWL logs were Geoff G6MZX/P on Sharp Haw G/NP-029, Keith G8HXE/P on Winter Hill G/SP-010 and Gerald G4OIG/P on G/NP-032.

Jimmy disappeared again, so I reconnected the 80m antenna to the FT-817. Again, no self-spotting was available, so it was just optimistic calling on 3.552MHz CW. DJ3XK responded, but asked me “QRP?”. I gathered from the activity on the band that a QRP contest was now in progress, so I responded in the affirmative and exchanged reports. I didn’t know if anything else was required in the exchange, but he didn’t ask me for anything else. No further responses to my calls, so I told Jimmy we would pack up, right on 3pm.

The path was much more trodden than in the morning as we descended it, but the snow was still deep in places even so. I took it very steady driving down the hills on the minor lanes to Rushton Spencer, but then it was plain sailing back into Macclesfield.

A very enjoyable and relaxed outing today. Many thanks to all callers on all bands/modes.

Tom M1EYP

Great Rhos was a hill too far for me today. No problem driving to New Radnor where I parked. No problem walking up the west side of Harley Dingle, in fact this was very pleasant with snow underfoot and the sun shining, but when I got on to the moorland plateau, there was no hope of making any progress. The snow was knee to thigh deep with a frozen top layer. Each step would break through and I would then have to climb out only to fall through the next step. I gave up about 1300M horizontally and 60M vertically from the summit. I was so frustrated. With hindsight I wish I had chosen a different summit, especially as I drove past several to get here.

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to G8ADD:
I had a lovely day out to Brown Clee Hill. Driving was easy. I parked at the eastern side for my usual ascent up through the trees. Snow was shallow and good for walking and I was at the summit panorama pillar at 1130. Looking along the ridge I saw a concrete pillar sticking out and decided to move away from the Abdon Burf summit in case I got swamped by the public out for a climb in Shropshire’s winter wonderland. I decided against any HF activity and put up SOTAbeam for 2m and Summitbase slim jim for 4m on my fishing pole and strapped to the pillar. I put on all the garments I possessed, sat on my sit mats back to the wind and enjoyed the view from the ‘shack’ to the west.
Imgur

I called CQ on 4m FM not expecting much and was delighted to have Matthew 2E0XTL in Ludlow come back to the call. I also spoke to David G3ZPF on 4FM back in Wolverhampton [really it’s not the fifth worst city in the world. Cheeky rascals at Lonely Planet!]. I returned to normal service on 2m ssb and FM with a string of contacts and S2S with G3NYY/P on G/WB-023, GM4GUF/P on GM/SS-064, M0COP/P on G/WB-005, M3EYP/P and M1EYP/P on G/SP-013, G0AZS/P on G/CE-005, GW0PEB/P on GW/NW-005 and GW0VMW/P on GW/NW-040. I’m unsure if Robert on Tinto or G4EGU Phil Wolfe in Erith, Kent was the best DX today. It was all very absorbing and I closed down at 1345 and descended to the car taking an hour. The hill was dotted with walkers and sledgers. 5 activator points, 21 chasers points and a class 3 summit to summit award.

Thanks to all callers, Roger Betts and Stewart Wilkinson for the spots on SOTAWatch and whichever one of you suggested the idea for the event.
best wishes
David

Looked out of the kitchen window this morning and noticed a fair old dusting of snow on Winter Hill becoming worse as you move across a clockwise arc to the South and we decided that anything over 400m or so was a no-no so good ol’ Billinge Hill was the safest bet. Crank lane was well gritted and the walk to the summit was nice and firm underfoot as the usual mud concoction had well frozen.

Thanks to all who called in, especially for the s2s in order of appearance: Tom M1EYP/P and Jimmy M3EYP/P on SP-013, Dave G7SKR/P on SP-010, Ian 2E0EDX/P on LD-032, Walt G3NYY/P on WB-023 and Paul G4MD/P on NP-032

ODX: G0RQL IO83PM > IO70UV 311KM

Bands used: 144-ssb only, Equipment: FT857 + 9ele @ 15ft, 2x7.2ah SLABS (one used for the whole activation)

73, Chris M1DTJ

In reply to M1DTJ:

Hi Chris

Great to work you S to S today, certainly enjoyed the day with 36 contacts and 14 S to S. I would agree with all posters in that it was a very successful SOTA Fun Day in extreme conditions and hopefully another is in the planning for perhaps the warmer weather.
Chris, sorry to inform you, I was on LD-052 and not LD-032.

73’s
Ian 2E0EDX

In reply to G8ADD:
I had a lovely day out to Brown Clee Hill. Driving was easy. I parked at the eastern side for my usual ascent up through the trees. Snow was shallow and good for walking and I was at the summit panorama pillar at 1130. Looking along the ridge I saw a concrete pillar sticking out and decided to move away from the Abdon Burf summit in case I got swamped by the public out for a climb in Shropshire’s winter wonderland. I decided against any HF activity and put up SOTAbeam for 2m and Summitbase slim jim for 4m on my fishing pole and strapped to the pillar. I put on all the garments I possessed, sat on my sit mats back to the wind and enjoyed the view from the ‘shack’ to the west.
Imgur

I called CQ on 4m FM not expecting much and was delighted to have Matthew 2E0XTL in Ludlow come back to the call. I also spoke to David G3ZPF on 4FM back in Wolverhampton [really it’s not the fifth worst city in the world. Cheeky rascals at Lonely Planet!]. I returned to normal service on 2m ssb and FM with a string of contacts and S2S with G3NYY/P on G/WB-023, GM4GUF/P on GM/SS-064, M0COP/P on G/WB-005, M3EYP/P and M1EYP/P on G/SP-013, G0AZS/P on G/CE-005, GW0PEB/P on GW/NW-005 and GW0VMW/P on GW/NW-040. I’m unsure if Robert on Tinto or G4EGU Phil Wolfe in Erith, Kent was the best DX today. It was all very absorbing and I closed down at 1345 and descended to the car taking an hour. The hill was dotted with walkers and sledgers. 5 activator points, 21 chasers points and a class 3 summit to summit award.

Thanks to all callers, Roger Betts and Stewart Wilkinson for the spots on SOTAWatch and whichever one of you suggested the idea for the event.
best wishes
David

In reply to M3EDX:

Ian,

Thanks for that, I do have LD-052 in the log but I do suffer from doctor’s handwriting syndrome hence the transcription error. Tnx for the s2s and all the best.

73, Chris

In reply to G8ADD:

After leaving a final decision as to which summit to visit until 2300 last night one look out of the window this morning at the sunrise confirmed that I would indeed be venturing out today, my target Birks Fell NP-031.

The roads from Leeds up to Litton via Skipton where in the most part clear with only small accumulations on the roads near Ilkley and in Littondale. The first part of the ascent was relatively straightforward but gradually the snow got deeper and deeper averaging 40-50cm on the upper slopes with more in hollows and gullies. Having to break through the crust with practically step made for slow and exhausting progress. At times it was occasionally possible to walk on the crust,for brief stretches, before being pitched back into deep soft snow.

At times I was close to giving up but fortunately two thirds of the way up I cunningly allowed a couple of walkers who were following me up to overtake. It was with considerable relief that I was able to use the steps they were cutting to save me some of the effort. All in all, a walk that should have taken less than an hour took closer to an hour and three quarters.

Nevertheless I arrived at the top just a few minutes after my alerted time and proceeded to erect the 3-element SOTA beam. No guys where necessary I simply stuck the pole in the snow. Conditions at the top were quite pleasant there being little or no wind and much of the time sunshine. I made myself comfortable on a bivvy bag behind a snow drift. The views needless to say were excellent.

Over the next two hours or so I logged 7 QSOs on 2m SSB and 23 on 2m FM including the following summit to summits:

GM4GUF on SS-064
G7SKR on SP-010
G4OIG on NP-032
M0CGH on NP-028
G1JTD on NP-008
G4RQJ on LD-058
2E0EDX on LD-052

M1EYP and M3EYP where also both copied on SP-013 but not worked as was G6MZX on NP-029

Packing up just after 3pm, the descent was made memorable both by the impressive sunset but also by the large number of rabbits seen dashing around in the snow - presumably trying to find something to eat.

Afterwards I managed to rendezvous with G4OIG, G4MD and G6MZX at the Craven Heifer near Skipton at 5pm for a quick pint and to discuss the day’s events and Gerald and Paul’s plans for tomorrow.

All in all a very pleasant day even if the walking was considerably harder than I anticipated.

Thank you to all those who ventured out in such difficult circumstances and to all the chasers who made it worth the while of those that did.

Rick.

Chasers report:

Thanks for 3 SOTA summits on 2m SSB that day:

DL3SBA/p and DL1DLF/p on DM/NW-258
DC7CCC/p on DM/NS-036
DL1PBC/p on DM/RP-491

I also worked DK1BN/p on DM/RP-334 however, Walt was active as a chaser only since he was using the permanent antennas of the club station (DF0AF) on top of the summit.

Heard the GB3VHF beacon (JO01DH) quite constantly with 519 but no activators from the UK.

Great fun!

Tnx es 73’s

Hardy, DF6PW
(JO30RR)

In reply to DF6PW:

I listened East but could not hear the PI7 beacon, conditions seemed very average. My best distance was G0RQL IO70WV 525km on the 4ele. Pity you didnt make any UK contacts, I will keep a look out for your activities over there and take a 9ele in easier wx next time!

There would only need to be slightly above average propagation and we could make it on CW in 2010.
Robert
GM4GUF/P
IO85EO

Thanks Hartmut DF6PW for preparing S2S to Mario DC7CCC/P. I was surprised logging unexpected activator Arno DL1PBC/P S2S, and Norbert DK9ES indeed chasing SOTA on VHF.

On the 90ft tower Lutz DL3SBA several times running down and up again for unfreezing.
http://www.dl1dlf.de/index.php?page=313

Yes, it was a great fun VHF sunday.

73, Joerg

In reply to DF6PW:

Hardy, thank’s for the spots yesterday and thank’s for the S2S to Mario DC7CCC/P and Arno DL1PBC/P.

On the summit Weißer Stein DM/NW-258 (JO30EJ) Joerg DL1DLF was using his FT-857 with a double quad element and I have used my 16 years old portabel case with an Icom IC-735, 10m - 2m transverter LT-2S and a Tokyo Hy Power PA HL-180V running about 80-120 W out. The battery was a 13,5V 20AH Lipo-NiMH Hybrid, the antenna a 6 ele. Yagi, the half of a 10 ele WIMO yagi. The take off in direction to the UK was not as good as exspected because of a very high forest behind the ON border. We could hear the GB3VHF beacon very weak and could not hear any station or activator from G-land, sorry. We have had fun at a very cold winter day with a lot of snow on the hill. But we will looking for a summit with a better take off in direction NW for the - hopefully - next SOTA VHF fun day. We will try again to get a S2S QSO on VHF with the UK!
Till then I will activate on HF, it is easier for me and the gear is not so heavy.

Thank’s to all activators and chasers,

73 Lutz DL3SBA

In reply to DL3SBA:

Hi Lutz, superb effort from yourself and Jörg to active DM/NW-258 on Sunday, nice photos as well. My car was stuck outside my house under snow so I could not even get to the local summit to try for s2s. I did contact Jörg on 40m earlier. Next time on VHF why not try DM/HE-003 Groβer Feldberg. Sure it is more distance to the UK but it has the best take-off to the NW I have seen - and you can have a good meal & bier at the summit :wink:
73 Steve.

In reply to DL1DLF / DL3SBA:

Thanks for the nice pics. I hope you quickly thawed in the pub after a couple of grog :))

Looking very much forward to the next time …

Vy 73 Hardy, DF6PW

In reply to G1INK and DF6PW:

thank’s for your post. We have had only a little effort on NW-258, the walk from the car park to the tower is about 150m long…, we have choosen an easy summit because of the bigger radios. Jörg has told me about the snow at Buxton and that you have to stay at home. Next time I will try the full 10 ele. Yagi - and not a half antenna - and perhaps we will go to the summit Großer Feldberg HE-003 or the Hohe Acht RP-001 or Kindelsberg NW-213 or Bollerberg NW-045, all summits are easy with a good take off to the UK.
But when will we have a next SOTA VHF fun day???
Yes Hardi, we went into the pub and warmed up with a gallon of coffee and a delicious currywurst!

73 Lutz DL3SBA

In reply to DL3SBA:

Hi Lutz,

But when will we have a next SOTA VHF fun day???

Well, maybe if there is sufficient interest, another International SOTA weekend should be arranged in May. It could be worth starting a new thread - something to look forward to while we wait out the snowy conditions that have closed our roads!

73, Gerald

In reply to DL3SBA:

I would also be interested in trying tropo s2s with you next time you take your bigger radios and antennae. If required we can deploy 12 ele + LNA @ 10m+ at some of the easier summits where there is also enough room to stay out of the way and blend into the landscape (eg: G/SP-010 and GW/NW-043).

73, Chris M1DTJ

In reply to M1DTJ:

very nice, Chris. Let us wait for an international SOTA weekend or a second SOTA VHF Fun Day in spring or summer. Then we may try a S2S QSO G-DL on VHF again.

73 Lutz