Unusual Find

Found when ascending OE/NO-211. (I didn’t keep it)

On top of OE/KT-062 junior found a 10 lbs shrapnel and wanted to keep it as a souvenir. I refused to carry it for the next hours and got some rusty barbed wire for him instead.
In the Carnic Alps and Julian Alps along the border between Austria and Italy / Slovenia you will find numerous WW I relics. Trenches crafted into the rock, shrapnel, bunker facilities as well as human remains. When I’m up there it always blows my mind and pulls my throat. With thankfulness that I did not attend at the time. Usually I don’t, but up there I have to speak a few words of prayer.

Well - as mentioned in another thread - I found a couple, intercoursing when arriving on top of OE/NO-016. Maybe It’s just me who deems this unusual.

73 Martin

7 Likes

My dog found a similar couple some years back - a cold wet canine nose tends to damp down passion :rofl:

3 Likes

“Normal” people are “slightly” out of breath at 5,100 m and would most probably realise that another 3300 m ascent to get to the summit is out of their reach ;-). We made it to the Mera Peak base camp in Nepal at 5800 m last autumn and were happy to get there without any problems. We gave up on the peak which was ONLY 600 m higher…

4 Likes

Someone must have been working split.

5 Likes

G/NP-005 Ingleborough

Right next to the summit shelter cairn, I saw a wheel-barrow. It was in pretty decent condition too with little rust and no leaks.

2 Likes

Sort of Excalibur ? Did you try to remove it, my king ? :smile:

2 Likes

Alas, I was unworthy.

1 Like

Probably because he was running away downhill…
David @M6GYU met him and took this picture :wink:

That is an unusual find, isn’t it?

Guru

4 Likes

Wasn’t on a summit, but near VK3/VC-030 during a litter collection exercise on Clean Up Australia Day, while I was leading some Air Force cadets, one of them popped up out of a thicker area of Xanthorrhea bushes with an inflatable sex doll he’d found. The open-mouthed shock on the CO’s face was probably only matched by the equivalent look on the doll’s face…though we did have to discipline the cadet over the “Hey, sergeant, I think it looks like you!” comment he made as he popped up :smiley:

Once the cadets were removed from the area, other “related” paraphernalia was discovered by the instructors upon further inspection and disposed off safely. I assume the doll went into the rubbish bags too.

2 Likes

Not on the summit, but along the way about 2 miles from the summit on very lightly used trails, found a telescoping fishing rod and reel, a stuff sack with a net hammock, and a nice heavy mid-layer top that surprisingly fits me. I posted to the lost and found section on our local craigslist, but haven’t found the owner of these items.

2 Likes

Thanks Guru - I forgot about him. Luckily!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

David

2 Likes

OE1WED and me were even less stimulating, I’m afraid.

1 Like

5 Likes

This was the last picture found in his camera by the investigators… :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Yesterday, activating W0M/SF-047 I found a 300 lb wild boar. Fortunately, he took off like a rocket in the other direction.

I don’t care to find any more.

4 Likes

On the hike up to W6/SD-426 I came across debris from a plane crash.

6 Likes

Looks like one half of a Lycoming flat six engine.

1 Like

Unfortunately, not as unusual as it should be… this is wartime aircraft wreckage on EI/IS-003

3 Likes

A railroad brake shoe, weighing about 7 kg, found last year on 2800 m a.s.l. near the summit of Piz Beverin HB/GR-101.

6 Likes

Clearly someone in a lower decile…

1 Like