Unactivated or Never Activated?

Just wondering what the official term for a summit that has never been activated. Unactivated, never activated, or something else?

4 Likes

virgin summit :grin:

73 Armin

4 Likes

If they’re local, either ‘on my list’ or ‘unclimbable’.

5 Likes

That term is fairly universal Armin, though not exactly P C. Perhaps it is more acceptably referred to as unactivated. :grinning:

2 Likes

In our circle of friends, we always referred to a ski slope with fresh powder snow as virgin powder…

I just had to think about that… I don’t know of any official term. :wink:

…but maybe you should actually find a terminology — maybe: Zero Summit

73 Armin

1 Like

Maybe we should form a committee to organise a working group; collate feedback; engage consultants; prepare an education programme to encourage use of the official terminology; and finally prepare responses to the inevitable objections,

:joy::joy: just teasing!

13 Likes

You obviously miss office nonsense now you are retired

We’ve just been informed we can select our pronouns on our work Zoom profiles. One guy is going to set his pronouns to “vi / vim” (that’s a programming joke) and another thinks “animal/vegetable/mineral” may be better. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

NO! Not for a second :grin:. I recommend retirement (to anyone who can afford it). Though Mrs PJZ seems to think it is a licence to give me jobs :cry:

11 Likes

How true :cry:

Seconded !

1 Like

My list of jobs seems to have expanded :roll_eyes:since I now have more time to do them in. I think I might have also got slightly fussier about the right weather to activate in or it might just be that I have done most of the local ones already this year…

2 Likes

I only work three days a week and despite managing to do an activation almost every week MG status is still three years away. I don’t know how those with a full time job and family manage it in just a year.

That’s good! But this is a serious issue for many people who are struggling with their identity.

Sotamaps uses unactivated.

unactivated is perfectly cromulent in this case. But you can use either and people will know what you mean.

2 Likes

As the winter bonus period slowly approaches, I expect to see more of these burning questions asked on the reflector, it is the SOTA equivalent of the “silly season”!

4 Likes

Of course !!! That starts here on 11.11.!

73 Armin

2 Likes

Move to the Cairngorms.

2 Likes

And then it still takes 2 years!

1 Like

Combine with other things. Do activations to break up a commute to/from work. Make them part of an annual family holiday. Any long distance journeys for work/visiting relatives/other reasons? Shoehorn as many activations into the schedule as possible.

Of course you may well, with good reason, prefer to restrict activating to days off that have been allocated entirely for recreational purposes. That has plenty of merit - but you have to be patient to get to MG!

1 Like

I didn’t know she was giving others jobs too Barry. :wink: She’s a frustrated Chief Executive!

Parking your comment about a year (which I agree is incredible), I seem to have slowed my progress since retiring. I attribute it to a combination of:

• Too many other commitments (some self-imposed, some just imposed)
  • Lack of opportunities to grab a quick new activation in far-flung areas whilst travelling for work. (Including some unactivated hills, to maintain the link with the OP :grin:)
  • I try to watch my expenditure (fuel) a bit more now.
3 Likes

Not many summits between my bedroom and home office.

I do that, but that’s only one day out of a week. Otherwise I might find myself free every day, but with no money…

I had to take my daughter to Haworth for work a couple of times at half term so managed to do G/SP-009 and G/SP-011.

Of course. I’m not complaining. I have far more summits near me than many people. And don’t we do SOTA because it is hard not because it is easy? [Apologies to Ted Sorensen.]

1 Like