Boats on the Air

If the lake has a beach it could be a SOTA/BOTA/BOTA/POTA activation.

3 Likes

Also Beacon Hill GW/MW-009…

Would water wings count as being afloat…?

It can’t be both BOTA and BOTA - that’s impossible.

1 Like

Tom, your activation doesn’t count. You were on a ship, not a boat. :smile:

1 Like

Boats on the Air says:

So if the boat is on the beach is that not moored or alongside? And so the activation could be both.

1 Like

Does this mean it has to be a VLF activation to count?

2 Likes

Therefore SOTA.

2 Likes

Taking a snorkel, we could start “Submarine On The Air”, then it would be possible to have SOTA and SOTA to SOTA and SOTA Qs
And if the Beaches extended below water level, and submarine counted as a boat, we could have
SOTA SOTA BOTA BOTA to…
Sigh, when does the bonus period start again…?

2 Likes

This thread is turning into a November Classic
Meanwhile it is hammering it down outside. Just pleased I am not on my way down from a summit. :joy:

2 Likes

My favourite local activation site (although I’ve not yet been there):

Tyrwhitt Peak (ZL3/OT-493), upon which is located Arethusa Pool (ZLL/0015) on Mou Waho Island (ZLI/OT-025) which is itself a park - Mou Waho Scenic Reserve (ZLP/OT-213) and lies within Lake Wanaka (ZLL/0830). The whole palimpsest is on New Zealand’s South Island (OC-134 or ZLI/ZZ-175). If you’re really after them all, the grid square is RE45mk!

Given the 500m proximity rule for ZL-Lakes award, you can simultaneously activate all 6.

Sadly, I just checked the limit of the summit activation zone and the lake itself is just outside it, so you could not claim the summit from a boat on a beach on the lake to make the exchange of references really tedious. But still, take a spare battery, I reckon.

3 Likes

Wrong. “Alongside”, in this context, is defined. The vessel is still sitting on water if moored or alongside. If sat on a beach, it cannot be underway, moored or alongside.

1 Like

OK/OK-060 comes to mind, and it’s a 10 pointer!
Unfortunately the lake is artificial and part of a hydroelectric power station; I doubt you can take a boat on it!

5 Likes

Wow !!! - surreal !

Does this mean it has to be a VLF activation to count?
[/quote]

You could try. I suppose you could use an ex military submarine towed/surface antenna?

1 Like

Not sure that would go down well with serving or ex submariners as they always refer to submarines as boats - not subs. - So BOTA is OK. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dave

PS Yes I’m looking forward to the bonus season- some mild wx before xmas would get me my MG award.

3 Likes

There is just one OTA missing from that scenerio Matt. It doesn’t have a much needed lighthouse on the island!!
Then one could do SOTA, POTA, LOTA, LOTA & IOTA!! Could you take your kayak to add a BOTA?
Maybe two spare batteries needed?
Oh. I see a local has activated the summit. :rofl:

1 Like

Same seems to be the case for DM/TH-012.
73, DIZ

2 Likes

A kayak is definitely NOT a boat, nor is it a canoe, although some canoeists do refer to their canoe as a boat. - some of the kayak & Canoe fraternity get upset if you confuse the two types of watercraft. Ao we could have KOTA for the Kayakers and COTA for canoeists.

This is a canoe - (me on the Thelon River in the far northern reaches of Canada).

1 Like

Always listening, but don’t expect a reply :wink:

G8ADD

3d

As the winter bonus period slowly approaches, I expect to see more of these burning questions asked on the reflector, it is the SOTA equivalent of the “silly season”!

Are we there yet Brian? :grin:

1 Like