UK Lockdown 3.0a

You know, I didn’t even count the use of the ‘broadcast’ word! I have edited my error totals forthwith.

I see you’re still the Chief Lowerer of Tones Andy @MM0FMF

2 Likes

It’s in my profile .

1 Like

My mum used to call me a “clot” in the 70s. I do hope she wasn’t deploying acronyms in her parenting.

…for 14 minutes already.

I put it in my profile around 11am 30 Jun '20

1 Like

Is it that long ago I coined the phrase…?

Answer: yes…

…although I know some would argue that my current AR fix - having my 817 hooked to the shack PC and running FT8 with automated operating and logging via WSJT-Z and Logger32 - is even less tasteful…

Au contraire, Tom, we can only admire that “anything for a laugh” attitude!

1 Like

Lockdown brings out the strangest of behaviour in people…

If Lockdown restrictions are still around in March, I will be using these routes to keep me busy on a challenge to do 11,000 steps a day for the whole month. If restrictions are eased, I’ll be aiming to get them SOTAing as much as possible.

The 11k steps per day is in acknowledgement of the 11k lives lost each year to prostate cancer. An old friend of mine called me this evening and told me about “March the Month”. He actually called to get my advice on local routes, without any steep uphill involved, that would get him his 11,000 steps. he had seen the article in the local paper.

https://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/march-for-men/march-the-month

I thought that this March the Month campaign and fundraiser was the perfect thing to combine my Lockdown Walks project with, so I not only promised my mate some routes, but said I’d get involved myself. I fancy the challenge, plus it’s a great cause.

The web resources seem pretty neat too - when you sign up, it sets you up with your Just Giving page, steps tracker etc. This is mine:

Maybe others would like to have a go too? There’s one or two walking enthusiasts on here I guess! Hopefully we can do it by SOTAing, but if not, then Lockdown Walks it is for me!

3 Likes

I’m amazed that you found some “previously unknown footpaths”. I’m reasonably confident that they are all on the OS maps. If not, I feel sure that the local Ramblers group will be interested.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link Tom, I didn’t know about it.
As somebody who has (had?) prostate cancer I encourage all men of a certain age to be aware that it may be there without the usual symptoms and get checked

4 Likes

Are you offering? :wink:

Serious point though, we men are far too carefree and don’t want to be considered hypochondriacs when we have ailments. I lost a fried to bladder cancer. He’d had symptoms something wasn’t right for a while before he did something and saw the doctor but it was too late by then. A good friend from work lost his father to prostate cancer last September. He’s running 76 miles in January, 1 mile for each year his father lived. People in my office have joined in sponsoring him and my employers have a charity matching policy. So he’ll raise what we donate, the Gift Aid tax rebate and then that whole sum is matched by my employers. With a following wind, the 20 of us in my office should be able to raise about £1000, not a huge amount but every little helps.

4 Likes

Ah there goes good old @G3CWI deliberately misinterpreting my remarks yet again!

“Previously unknown” … to me!

And no, there’s plenty of them, especially on walks 22-24, that are not represented on OS 1:25000.

1 Like

Another 13 mile circuit done today with my wife Marianne. The snow was lovely in the morning, and up in the hills where it hung around later into the afternoon. 27,000 steps today, so training for March the Month (11k steps per day throughout March) looks to be going well. Obviously, the challenge will be topping the 11k steps target on work days and bad weather days - and indeed bad weather work days! But the fact I’ve set myself up for this publicly, means I’ll have a bit of pressure on myself that I can use as motivation.

I’m taking a handheld on all my walks at present. Today I worked G3CWI (several times) and M0ABR. Both were also out, like me, doing walks from their home addresses, with their partners and carrying handhelds!

I’m hoping to encourage more people to be taking out VHF hand-portables while getting their daily exercise. After all, it’s the nearest we’re going to get to SOTA in the foreseeable, plus it’s quite pleasant to have a natter rather than a fast exchange and logging!

5 Likes

More training for this, this morning and early afternoon:

As outlined in the previous post, I’ll be QRV on 2m FM with my handheld. Any company from home-based chasers or fellow HRH (Hikers Receiving on Handhelds) is most welcome.

1 Like