tSotaLog: Fork of general purpose FOSS logging app TOTALOG

I know, the call sign view is somewhat broken, that’s an open issue. The callsign search should work though, if you want to change or delete a certain entry. IMHO this issue isn’t very pressing because looking at the callssign list is not something I do regularly. Let me know if anyone feels differently.

1 Like

Totally agree with you. Way down the list. Somewhere after cleaning out the shack

1 Like

I added a second pre-release for 0.6.0 where I fixed two minor issues. @G7KSE one of them is your Android 13 .txt problem. Would you mind testing whether the fix works? It did in my emulator at least…

1 Like

Hey Beni,
first I wanna thank you that you are sharing your APP.
I hope I will switch in the future.
The design is nice! But there is a little bit more work to do (sry my friend :wink: )

If I’m wrong I apologize in advance.

• Contacts: my list with 100k+ contacts was loading pretty fast. I was not expecting that! Well done! But, if I’m typing in the “CALLSIGN” field “HB9HNT” your name is coming everything fine. If im deleting now one letter, your name is not going away from the field. At this stage it make maybe no sense but if I was typing to fast and thougth it was you and I’m deleting then a letter and replacing the last letter by another (which is not in my database) your name remains with this new callsign.

• Clear all button: A button for clear all fields execpt frequency and mode would be nice. It could be possible to implement it if your a holding a few sec the “ACT”, “S2S” or “CHA” buttons.

• Always display on: I would also implement a switch for turing on the display all time.

• RST TX and RST RX predefined values: It would be cool if in these two fields its always written like “59” and if you click on them it gets auto deleted and you can add your own report.

• Filter for Sotawach spots: Okay this is now sophisticated whining. Atm I’m learning CW but I’m not using it. And also I’m not activating peaks with like 6m. A Filter for the Sotadata would be very nice.

Thx a lot Beni for your hard work!

Julian

2 Likes

Hey Julian

Thank you for your reply and for the detailed testing and report. Your feedback is appreciated!

Created an issue here: #34 - Callsign search doesn't reset when letters are deleted - hb9hnt/tSotaLog - Codeberg.org

One question regarding this suggestion: Why would you clear the summit but not frequency? IMHO it’s very unlikely that I stay on the frequency but change the summit. I think we have to define what fields to actually clear.

Issue created: #35 - Clear button for the entry form - hb9hnt/tSotaLog - Codeberg.org

This has also been suggested by g7kse. It’s not a priority for me because I use /e/ OS (https://e.foundation) where you have the very convenient caffine function to keep the screen on. Additionally I don’t want to ask for too many permissions (like overriding sleep timeouts of the device).
As always I wouldn’t turn a merge request down if anyone wants to implement this. :wink:

Nice idea. Recorded here: #36 - Presets for RST TX and RX - hb9hnt/tSotaLog - Codeberg.org

I missed this myself sometimes, tbh… Issue created: #37 - Allow filtering the spots - hb9hnt/tSotaLog - Codeberg.org

Feel free to comment on the issues here or on codeberg. Of course any contribution is welcome, be it in the form of code or testing and reporting issues. That’s what open source is all about.

I can’t guarantee that you will get all this fixed in a certain delta-t but I work slowly but steadily on improving the app.

Android 13 has a keep screen alive function with preset values and even has a ‘staring contest’ function which is a bit freaky. All under the Display settings

2 Likes

Super thx u a lot!

I need to express myself a little bit more.

Summit, Mode, Frequency should not be deleted. Only Callsign and the report should set to de default (in the future).
Why? A station is calling me and I’m directly typing something in. The station can’t hear me and I need to delete RST RX and Callsign manually. Okay 4 more clicks… Else you can add the contact and then deleting it in the log. Yes okay sophisticated whining^^.

Then I saw that you aren’t using “ACT”, “S2S” or “CHA” buttons for long pressing and I thougth it could be a good idea. Maybe also using them for markos in the future.

Good to know that you have a kanban. Will check it out. THX

Julian

1 Like

I had a function like “caffine function” on my old phone but on here on OxyGen13 with my OnePlus 9Pro the function is gone. And I think a lot of other Android users are having the same trouble as I have.

This was the function

And yes I could go every time in my settings change the screen time and change it then back. But I will miss is for sure every time at the beginning.

like @HB9HNT said I had the same feature in Lineage OS :wink:

Julian

Yes, this makes more sense to me. I’ll update the issue. I don’t really like the long-pressing of one of the buttons. To me this feels a bit like an not very intuitive anti pattern. So you still have to convince me why this is a good plan. :wink: I have to thing about what might be an alternative.

hahha alright.
Yes I’m thinking about how I can convince u :wink:

Thx Beni

1 Like

I just released the RC2 as the final 0.6.0 version, it worked for me well enough. :wink:

1 Like

Hey Julian @IN3JIB

I started implementing this suggestion but ran into a problem where I need your opinion (or that of others):

If I implement this as you suggest, the palceholder values “RST TX” and “RST RX” disappear and it’s not clear anymore which field is TX/RX. The approach I took is to redesign the whole form to introduce labels for the fields. The upside of this is that the form design is more consistent with the rest of the app. The downside is that the form uses a lot more space:

This is a screenshot of the larges possible form including the S2S field. What do you think, is this feasible? Other options?

2 Likes

Hello Beni,

got u. Difficult question, I can only answer for myself I’m using a “normal smartphone” with 6,7" an I think it should not be a problem for myself.
I’m also curious of other opinions.

How are you feeling with that change?

Julian

1 Like

IMHO the larger form should not be a problem. I like the fact that it will become more consistent with the design of the other forms within the app.

I have been considering separating the log entries from the log form completely, haven’t found a nice way to do this, yet.

1 Like

okay good!

What do you mean by separating the log entries from the log form completely?
puting the logs on an other site?

I would not change that. IMO I wanna see if the log was entered correctly?

Good point. So here is another idea I have been toying with: To get more screen space while keeping the log where it is, we could replace the bottom bar with a burger menu. This gives us more space for menu entries and more space on the current page…

Damn, Burger-Menu sounds nice.
So you would move “ACT”, “S2S” and “CHA” in a Drop-menu and move “ADD QSO” beside “Their Ref” ?

I’d rather create a global burger menu containing the “Log” “History” “Settings” “Callsigns” bottom bar and possibly also the spots list.

Ah got it now.
You mean for the settings on the bottom.
I would make a Menu but letting still the option to enable it (if its possible).
Or even more, you could add a swipe function to the left or right for switching between “Log” “History” “Settings” “Callsigns”

1 Like

I’ll try what I can do.

1 Like