Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party - 7th November 2020

I plan to work the event from W4C/CM-101.

Andy, N4LAG

1 Like

Sounds like we may have a hindrance on participation on the east side of the Atlantic. Regardless, I’ll be doing an activation at the posted times and shoot a full load of 100w that direction. At least folks can chase from their QTH.

3 Likes

Weather is looking OK for Saturday, so I plan to be up a hill until around 1530 UTC,

Simon, GM4JXP

2 Likes

At present I hope to be out from mid-afternoon for the trans-atlantic and stay around until dusk to give a last go at 160m for the Challenge with a better chance than the recent noon activations. If it looks as if travel for fresh air (and not just excercise) is OK then it will be G/WB-023 which is a drive-on so I can take the heavy equipment (857, 100W ATU, several batteries, etc) that I can no longer carry up a proper walk. If exercise is a required condition for travel then it will be G/WB-022 which involves a short, steep and muddy walk and I might make several carrys or just use the normal kit. My 17m vertical seems to be quite good as long as I can fit the radials onto the verge OK.
ssb only so no great expectations but another trans-atlantic contact would be nice - and then I will have time to change aerial and perhaps gain a new contact on 160m.for the 2020Challenge.
Rod

1 Like

Will you have 80m as well Rod for a Challenge S2S?

Sunshine, 13 C, no wind at DM/BW-009
…and a leisure time permission from the best woman of all :wink:

looking for my first S2S to NA this year…

73 Armin

2 Likes

… 9 stations from EU have alerted so far :slightly_smiling_face:
Maybe some more will add their alert?
With SFI = 88, a hopefully quiet magnetic field and nice wx (at least in DM/BW region), it should be fun!

73, Roman

2 Likes

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

What’s the consensus on bands to try (apart from 20m) for SSB?

Just put an alert up for G/CE-001. I’ll have a linked dipole for 20m/40m and an Elecraft tuner, so can probably do something on most bands. Might have 100W too. Will be keen on S2S from wherever, as with a bit of luck I can get the 70ish chaser points I need to get me over the line for Shack Sloth. Ironically, from on top of a hill!

2 Likes

I’ll have a 30/20/17m dipole. 30m to cover some of EU and 20/17 for possible transoceanic QSOs. Maybe I’ll take the old 706 for a bit more waft up the flue :slight_smile:

80m if I can be bothered as it takes an age to walk from one end of the dipole to the other!

1 Like

I thought Andy (MS0TA) had developed a split personality for a moment there Tony! I’m going to have to watch my hand-written scrawl on Saturday. Hope I can help you ‘over the line’.

I am still looking for the confusing MS0TA-M5OTA QSO, maybe this weekend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

M0TA is a club call and so in Scotland it can be MS0TA. When I ordered it, G0TA was available and I spent an afternoon deciding between M0TA or G0TA. In the end I went for M0TA as it was impossible to confuse with an old 1930’s style call. Yes, I know they didn’t have any G0+2 calls issued but I wanted to be clear it wasn’t a reissue.

As it was only £20, I should have got both and then they would both be available although it may have looked greedy at the time. As it is Ofcom stopped issuing 2 letter calls shortly after I obtained it. Whether it was a mistake to ever start issuing them again, who knows? But unless Ofcom have some serious change of heart, you wont see GS0TA on the air anytime soon.

The S as a secondary regional letter has been available for at least 30 years but even now giving a call phonetically as “MIKE SIERRA ZERO TANGO ALPHA” to many UK amateurs causes their brains to freeze solid. An S before number and only 2 letters after. Seriously uncommon I often need to say “Yes it looks like it spells SOTA, just write MIKE SOTA and you can figure it out later.” :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, Tom, I will have the 80m coils but whether I use them will depend on how the transatlantic goes. I really want to give 160m a try at a sensible time and also want to be home by 1745.
Glad you had so swift a recovery; take care.
Rod

1 Like

Hi Armin,
did you have sucess? The conditions for this seem to be good. Yesterday I worked at DM/NS161 K1GHC with 10W on a 20m long horizontal EFHW on 20m.

73 Chris

Hey Chris

We’ll see if I’ll have sucess tomorrow… Today (at DM/BW-233) I had KB9ILT/P at W4V/SH-004 as my first S2S to NA this year… with my KX2 and my vertical with a single radial.

BTW: There is a new ham in NS (DM5MK) who is interested in SOTA… I informed him, that DL1CR is an active ham in his area. :wink:

73 Armin

1 Like

My intention is for activating the same summit of last year’s event with the same equipment and antenna system and I have raised an alert for that. However, the WX forecast is for wind and rain, so I fear I might have to cancel the activation. If I finally do have to cancel, I’ll try to chase from home, so EA2IF will surely be on the air tomorrow one way (/P) or the other.
Good luck everyone and I hope to QSO with you all tomorrow.

Guru

2 Likes

I plan to active W7A/MN-143 tomorrow. I will be using a 5 band linked vertical covering 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m and 20m. The last 5 activations I have worked F4WBN on SSB with this antenna. Four of those were with 10 watts using my IC-705. Tomorrow I will be running 100w from an IC-7000. There is a slight chance of rain tomorrow which hopefully will not be a problem. I will also have a new ham and SOTA activator KJ7QHW (Gary) with me so please work him also.

Burke
KF7NP

2 Likes