Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party - 7th November 2020

A visit to a Barnard Castle optician is mandated for you in that circumstance. :wink:

1 Like

New SOTA ref G/COVID-019. Apparently worth a maximum of £10,000. Not so much an instant goat as a bit of a dodo!

2 Likes

… you’re right, Ed. we’ll probably have to wait the next days to see how the state governments implement the regulations.
Here’s what the government of Baden-Württemberg has issued:
https://www.baden-wuerttemberg.de/fileadmin/redaktion/dateien/PDF/Coronainfos/201028_Corona_Massnahmen_A4_lang_V3.pdf

What could affect SOTA:

• No private trips or visits to relatives
  • No cross-regional tourist travel

That’s why I intend to activate a summit nearby - it’s rather a bike trip which should be okay.
Staying at home would really be a shame with the higher bands being open every day currently!

73, Roman

1 Like
  • No cross-regional tourist travel

There goes my plan to boost my score towards MG in Southern DL next week. I don’t think it counts that from the perspective of my home town, which I left more than 25 years ago, the target area is regional…

Anyway, for the transatlantic event, I plan to activate my usual summit around the corner for that purpose, weather permitting. Parking lot close-by, picknick tables available, enough space for my 20m GP. I’ll be QRV with up to 100W.

73 Jens, HB9EKO

1 Like

Hopefully there will be enough of us on both sides of the Atlantic to make this event a success. I think that we need something to lift our spirits as we face an uncertain winter, particularly those like myself that were unable to get on for the European S2S event.

I am still considering my options and need decide whether to “run the gauntlet” through the Scottish central belt to get to a summit or two further north. Whatever transpires, all being well, I certainly intend to be QRV.

73, Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK

1 Like

Hi Gerald,
I would not risk breaking regulations, rather have two summits planned - one close, in your area and the other as one to go to if the regulations allow it at the time, then make the call the day before (weather may also play a factor).

Even stronger restrictions specifically for here in Bavaria are expected to be announced this afternoon.

73 Ed.

Transit across Scottish Tier3 regions is OK.

Hi Ed,

I’ve got Plan B and Plan C already sorted. Nevertheless, it is not a case of regulation breaking, but one more of conscience and me feeling that my undertaking is appropriate…

The regulations imposed by the Scottish Government are out of step with those in England. Although I will start out in England, once in Scotland I will be expected to follow the Scottish regulations. Andy has already noted that “outdoor exercise” is a specific reason for being allowed to leave the area in which he lives, so travel from area to area for outdoor exercise must be permitted.

I have absolutely no intention of having any social interaction with anyone. The last time I was on the hills in Scotland, social distancing was clearly adhered to even though the activity was outdoors. There will be no need for me to stop at any point on my journey, either on the way or on my return, so I do not see that there is an issue. My suggestion of needing to “run the gauntlet” was more a reference to my mindset rather than me expecting to be stopped and questioned.

73, Gerald

P.S. Thanks for the clarification Andy. I will check the route and keep an eye on which area is in which tier.

Edit - I have just read this: “People in local authorities in tier three or four are asked not to travel outside of their area, while those in lower tier areas have also been asked not to travel into regions under higher restrictions.”
source - https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/scotland-tier-map-areas-level-covid-restrictions-tiers-rules-when-start-date-741314

The rules are changing frequently, and with very little notice. In this respect, 7th November is still in the distant future. I won’t be making any firm plans much before Have I Got News For You?

We’ve got more tiers than you so ours are better by design! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Travel

• no non-essential travel into or out of the level 3 area
  • exemptions for essential travel for work, education, shopping health etc; outdoor exercise; weddings and funerals; shared parenting, and transit through restricted areas
    international quarantine regulations apply

Where possible use the official notices not what some journo is spinning in the press.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-protection-levels/pages/protection-level-3/

1 Like

What about Dr Facebook? Loads of easily accessible expert health and legal advice there.

3 Likes

Interpretation… what a wonderful word, not! I’d best carry a copy of the actual regulations with me. I should be okay - my car has an Aberdeen plate. :wink:

They didn’t appear - the 45 minute speech of the Bavarian President was just explaining why what had been agreed at a federal level was important. That still includes no non-essential travel though.

Ed.

Weather permitting I plan to be on a local peak with 6 watts CW hoping to make it across the pond. Note: Over here, the annual ARRL CW Sweepstakes contest begins at 2100 UTC on Saturday, November 7th, and runs to 0259 UTC on Monday, Nov. 9th.

1 Like

I can try 100 w, FT8, CW or SSB. WARC bands are preferable for CW after 2100 UTC, because we will have ARRL November CW Sweepstake on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meter bands.

1 Like

Deleted.

I plan to participate – N4LAG.

Andy, N4LAG

2 Likes

This just posted on Southgate ARC:

Election day sunspot alert

One of the biggest sunspots in years is emerging on the sun today.
Hours ago it produced a C-class solar flare and a minor radio blackout over the Indian Ocean.

This sunspot, if it holds itself together, will face Earth for the next two weeks as it rotates across the face of the sun, potentially setting the stage for a sustained stretch of solar activity.

Visit Spaceweather.com for updates

So you should have some really good conditions for Saturday!

Ed.

2 Likes

At the moment I should be enjoying a 10 day autumn break at the /A QTH, but the impending lockdown has put paid to that. My intended activation of a couple of Scottish summits on Saturday was cancelled as a result, as was my back up plan to activate a couple of summits in the Cheviot hills. So, onto Plan C which is to activate Bardon Hill which is the nearest summit to me at the main residence. Now even that is in jeopardy as a family member has had a serious fall and the task of caring for them has fallen to my XYL and myself. As it stands it is a case of “will I ?, won’t I ?”. I guess I will know come Saturday. :hushed:

Regardless of whether I appear or not, I hope that everyone will have an enjoyable time and that some good S2S contacts will be made.

73, Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK