Trans-Atlantic S2S QSO Party - 7th November 2020

As I wrote back in March…

Well we didn’t manage an event last April due to the pandemic, but subject to any restrictions in place in our individual areas, I think it will be worthwhile giving it a go next month. Usual timings based around 13:00z - 17:00z +/- an hour to suit individual preferences and conditions.

Looking forward to working a few more summits on the western side of the pond. Hoping for good weather as well.

73, Gerald G4OIG / G8CXK

14 Likes

I am in for a try.
A recent activation tells me that it maybe a good time to try it as well, but not at greyline times.

Malen
VE6VID

1 Like

I am also going to give it a try.
My best possibility of making S2S across the Atlantic has to be FT-8 on 20m
I worked out how to do this courtesy of the Flavour Challenge, and it has pulled in a lot of contacts for me.

So, I am hoping someone in Europe will be thinking the same way.
I hope to contact you on Nov, 7th.

Ian
VE6IXD

3 Likes

I should be available for this event…as I recall last years event was pretty good into Europe.

Pete
WA7JTM

1 Like

You can count me in. It should be fun.
Burke
KF7NP

1 Like

I’m in.

1 Like

This may be the impetus to getting my reflector for my linked vertical ground plane antenna constructed and tested. I will try to participate.

1 Like

I’m in from W1. Ed, K1RID

3 Likes

WX permitting, I should be QRV too.

3 Likes

We also intend to participate depending on the weather
lz1wf, lz1gj.

1 Like

Sorry Gerald,
National lock-down for four weeks as of Monday here.

I even had the rucksack all packed ready to go!

73 Ed DD5LP.

1 Like

I am in Gerald, WX permitting

73 Dave G3TQQ

1 Like

Sorry - grounded - my interpretation of our Covid rules

1 Like

We have lockdown light … and no curfew.

No idea if I have time… my son moves into his first own apartment, he needs help

(Life begins when the children are out of the house :wink:)

73 Armin

1 Like

… the situation in Germany is serious, but I’d say there is room for interpretation and SOTA is still possible with the rules announced yesterday.
wx permitting, I’ll participate from a local summit. QRV with 10 watts CW and one or more vertical EFHW antennas (20/17/15?).

73, Roman

1 Like

Same here. If wx is okay I will join.
That reminds me to get my 50 W PA ready and tested for some “QRO” operation in case needed.

73 Joe

1 Like

I will await clarification - however as Söder is scheduled to declare the equivalent of a “state of Emergency” for Bavaria tomorrow, I suspect any non-essential travel will not be looked upon in a positive manner.
It’s a shame as the band conditions could be quite good during the coming week.

73 Ed.

Here’s the DeutscheWelle translation/interpretation of what was announced on a federal level yesterday (Wednesday 28/10):

New restrictions for the next month

• Restaurants and bars will close, except for take-away
  • Large events will be canceled again
  • Unnecessary travel is strongly discouraged
  • Overnight stays in hotels for tourist purposes is banned
  • All those who can work from home should do so and employers should ease a transition into working from home
  • Meetings in public will be restricted to just two households of up to 10 people total.
  • Entertainment facilities such as theaters and cinemas will be closed
  • Public recreation centers such as swimming pools, gyms and saunas will be closed
  • No crowds at sports events

What is allowed

• Schools and kindergartens will remain open
  • Church services and protests will be allowed to continue due to constitutional concerns
  • Nursing home residents will be allowed to receive visitors
  • Shops will remain open, with one customer allowed per 10 square meters (108 square feet)
  • Borders remain open
1 Like

If the weather permits, I’ll join with my usual setup (5W SSB and inverted-L), but optimized direction and slope towards NW. Last year, with this setup, one NA S2S made it into my log, but this time, the solar data looks much better, at least for now.

72 Stephan

1 Like

The Covid rules are changing in Scotland. Currently I am not allowed to leave my health board area (West Lothian, Mid Lothian, East Lothian and Edinburgh counties) for non-essential reasons including exercise. The new rules mean I am a not meant to leave my council area for non-essential reasons but “outdoor exercise” is a specific reason that is allowed to leave the area. This means that I am fine to travel for mountain climbing/SOTA.

Everybody in the UK is allowed travel unconstrained distances for an eye check of course. :wink:

2 Likes

I find it increasingly difficult to read the display on my radio. Does that count?

1 Like