Trans-Atlantic S2S Event 23rd April 2022 (Part 1)

Hi Friends,

For the moment WX for South SP is not very promising :unamused:

I will update my activity information on Friday.

73, Jarek

1 Like

I plan to be up on GM/ES-070 from about 1630 GMT. I canā€™t start any earlier as I have other commitments on Saturdays.

2 Likes

MUF looking good for 17m across the pond. How much effect will the Helvetia contest on Sat afternoon have on the bands on which contests are permitted?

Regards
David
G0EVV

1 Like

Hi David,
With the improved ionospheric conditions that we have at the moment, I expect the bands will be busy at the weekend, both as we will hear more DX stations and because this will attract more people to the bands. The Helvetia contest has good support in Europe but at least it is not one of the really big HF contests. It might be possible to get some contacts in the hour before the contest starts (it starts at 1300 UTC) if the US east coast SOTA activators are already out on summits by 1200 UTC (8 am their time). No matter which weekend is chosen there are contests, so planning for 17m is a good back-up if you get nowhere on 20m because of QRM or the lack of any free frequencies.

Many alpine summit stations will also have to contend with rain it seems. Especially from 1200 UTC onwards. For that reason, I have changed my planned summit to one further north which might get away free of rain at least until 5 pm local time. Unfortunately, this is a lower scoring summit but the intention is to get as many S2S contacts as possible and this will be more possible in the dry.

73 Ed DD5LP.

UPDATE: ā€œJust as you thought it was safe to get back on the bands ā€¦ā€

4 Likes

after 3 mounth of sunny days, the weather forecast suggesting rain for this weekend.
I will test my first tarpā€¦

3 Likes

Gus, W9SSN, and I will be on W6/SD-026, hopefully ready to go by 14Z and not too late to join the party.
17 and 15 have been the best to EU lately, but if conditions are more like a few weeks ago, 12 and even 10 may be good.
Fingers crossed for a NA-EU S2S or two orā€¦
David N6AN

2 Likes

Hi, here rain forecast for tomorrow:
descarga

:sleepy: :sleepy: :hot_face: :hot_face: :japanese_goblin: :japanese_goblin:
73 JosƩ

1 Like

The good news is that rain is possible (not definite), though, as always, that varies by the hour and the forecast. However, it looks as though the wind is likely to be around 39mph gusting to 51! Thatā€™s going to be a significant wind chill. Itā€™s also going to test my tarpology and mast erection skills.

1 Like

The same for meā€¦ forecast is for sun and cloud, 6C, 30mph easterly, gusting 40mph, feeling like 0C. Itā€™s not going to be easy to get much shelter on GM/CS-015 as the west side is quite steep, but Iā€™m hoping there will be a flattish patch with my name on it. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi David,
With a predicted KP Index of 4 tomorrow, the MUF will be subdued, I would say 20m will be a safer bet, with perhaps 17m as well if we are lucky. I would be surprised to see 15m open - but I will have antennas for all of these bands with me if needed.

73 Ed DD5LP (running DL20SOTA/P).

2 Likes

OKā€¦will be on tomorrow from Arizonaā€¦1400-1700 ishā€¦I hopeā€¦

40-50 wattsā€¦

Pete
WA7JTM
W7A/MN-153

1 Like

Great Pete! I was looking at the alerts earlier and wondering whether you would be out on a summit. Hopefully I will be able to break your pileup this time. :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Friends,

For the moment WX should allow the event.
So, alert is valid.

73, Jarek

2 Likes

I sure hope soā€¦got the small amp so we can ā€œburn a holeā€ in the ether!

Hi Hi

Will u be using G4OIG or??

will be on about 1400 UTC

Pete

1 Like

Iā€™ll be signing GM4OIG/P from GM/CS-015. I havenā€™t activated the summit before, so no need to roll out the other call. IC-703 plus 50W linear to a vertical on my side. :grinning:

3 Likes

OKā€¦got itā€¦hope the DX Gods smile on us!

Pete

2 Likes

Sorry, bad weather and my old dad in the hospital with a heart attack. See you in November!
Good luck to everybody!
73 Fabio

2 Likes

Fabio, I will strong keep fingers crossed for your Father recovery :crossed_fingers:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

Good evening my dear Chasers,

I have special wish for tomorrow.
Do not put your particular interests above the name of this event & let us fight for the S2S first, then do your chase.
Thanks for that :wink:

73, Jarek

2 Likes

Adding to Jarekā€™s comment - if as a chaser you hear an S2S station trying to call when you call a station - by all means work the activator if he comes back to you, but tell him (or her) that there is an S2S station calling so that he (or she) can specifically listen for ā€œONLY THE S2S Station PLEASEā€ after he (or she) finishes with you.

Chasers if you hear the activator say ā€œS2S station onlyā€, then please SHUT-UP and wait - thank you.

73 Ed DD5LP.

3 Likes