Trans-Atlantic S2S Event 23rd April 2022 (Part 1)

I’m going to plan on being on a W5 summit. I will find a peak I can start ascending before sunrise to attempt EU contacts. I must say the war and recent losses of radio friends have put a damper on my enthusiasm, but this is probably just the event to get beyond that.

Edit: I’m afraid circumstances have necessitated that I am erecting a field fence this weekend. Unfortunate as there are a lot of EU and other stations alerted. Good luck.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to activate W0M/SF-003, a 6-pointer that hasn’t been activated in a couple of years. I hope to get in place at the very latest by 1600Z (preferrably much earlier). If the weather cooperates, I should be able to operate up there for several hours.

Hope to hear many of you on the air!

73, Jim KK0U

2 Likes

My plan is to activate SP/BZ-072.
See you on frequencies :wink:

73, Jarek

3 Likes

I might try to get out to either W4V/SH-027 or W4V/SH-016. W4V/SH-027 is the most likely candidate as I haven’t activated it this year, but they are close together, so I may do 016 after 027.

Chris

3 Likes

I will be out on my usual summit for this event - W4C/US-001 - at the crack of dawn (or before) . Please give me a shout to make sure that I am awake! :rofl:

73, pat - ki4svm

3 Likes

OK I’ve alerted for G/NP-005. It looks to have a good take off to the west and northwest. My little legs had a choice; it was either take the traditional full suit of armour in honour of our patron saint, or the FT-857. Apparently the last dragon died in the 3rd episode of the Hobbit, so I’ve opted for (the slightly lighter and more practical) 857. Hope the conditions improve from those recently! I’ll try to stay on until about 1500z (dependant as always on weather and wife).

3 Likes

Hello, I will try to participate from EA7/GR-026

3 Likes

Might try Sunday afternoon from DM/BM-241 at around 14:00 UTC or later on 20m and higher. NA should work. Look around 14.064. Conditions are supposed to be good.

Monday afternoon at around 11:00 UTC from DM/RP-397. Looking for NA S2S on 20m or higher. Will be around 14.064.

CU tomorrow or Monday
Ingo DH5ST

2 Likes

I plan to be on Great Tosson G/SB-007 from 1300GMT using 20m or 17m CW.
Regards
David
G0EVV

2 Likes

Looking at the alerts entered on SOTAWatch, these appear to be the activations that say they are out for the NA-EU S2S event so far:

1 Like

10:00 -13:00 UTC seems too early for for activators from NA West Coast, unless NA West Coast activators will start hiking before the sunrise or will camp on summits.

1 Like

Hi Oleh,
10:00-1300 UTC are the start times of the activations. It’s a common problem that there can be limitations at each end, time-wise - in my case, I have to go QRT at 1630 local (1430 UTC) to get the last cabin car down the mountain. What I included was the list of people who have placed alerts in SotaWatch when I placed my reflector post.
At that time, there were just three US activators who had indicated their intentions, none of them were west coast.
US west coast to EU is going to be a challenge I suspect.

None of the additional (post-1300) alerts I can see when I post this reflector reply indicate they are taking part in the S2S event:

If there are any west coast (W6 summits) activators they need to alert their plans at sotawatch.

73 Ed (operating DL20SOTA during this event)

2 Likes

I’m taking my KX2 and Chameleon MPAS Lite vertical to the same spot on the same summit, my nearest one (G/LD-058) as for the last transatlantic S2S event in November.
I hope I don’t get the wild weather I had back then where the wind tried to blow me and my tent away.

73, Andy

5 Likes

Arnside seems to have very good take off to the states, I think you’ve chosen a good summit. LD-058 may be the lowest Marilyn, but it has a great view of the Atlantic!

I was intending to do Ingleborough but Andy got in there first! I’ve opted for Whernside as it’s a very quick ascent.

73, Colin

2 Likes

For my liking it has too many trees for a good omni-directional take-off but it does have a few places with a good take-off to the W and NW. It’s best feature is being a 10-minute drive away from home and a 20-minutes ascent.

Well, it ought to be nearly free of litter. When I activated Whernside a few weeks ago two blokes from the Three Peaks NP starting at the same parking spot as me on Thornton Lane (west of the summit) drove their tank-like ATV passed me. When I eventually met them again at the summit, they had a large builder’s bag completely full with rubbish. They said it was left with a bit of aggregate in for path repairs but meanwhile lazy walkers had used it as a litter bin.

1 Like

Sorry! :grinning: Maybe catch you on 2m (it will save shouting!)

3 Likes

I hope to be able to activate a summit, but the weather forecast is giving bad weather right in the late afternoon…
73 Fabio

1 Like

The same is forecast at this side of the Alps Fabio! Start of rain to coincide with me setting up at the summit! At least it should reduce the number of tourists around on the last day of the Easter school holidays, so the queue for the lift wont be so long I hope.

Fingers crossed that (as usual) the weather forecasters got it wrong!

73 Ed.

2 Likes

Yes Ed, finger crossed!
73 Fabio

1 Like

Although it’s a Trans-Atlantic Event, I decided to activate one easy summit and try to get some DX S2S QSOs. I’ve put an alert. Hope there will be a nice propagation.
Regards,
Huawei

3 Likes