Topographic maps of Europe

I believe some speed test sites use algorithms or something similar which are not too accurate at high speeds >100Mbps. i remember Virgin once giving me a list of speed sites that can accurately do high speeds.

Anthony

The quality of the trails in the Switzerland map (map.geo.admin.ch) is excellent. If you click on ā€œHiking trailsā€ in the menu under ā€œMap displayedā€ all official trails are displayed. The color scheme is as follows:

Orange lines = Easy hikes (T1)
Red lines = Mountain hikes (T2 & T3)
Blue lines = Alpine hikes (T4 & T5)

Iā€™m very envious of all you people with fast internet connections: here in darkest Bavaria, I have 5MBit/s maximum download speed via the telephone line (often a lot less than that), and no chance to increase this in the near future. :cry:

It can make testing of sites wearisome at timesā€¦

Rob

In my general experience, places with poor internet connectivity often make up for it in other ways. My internet is just fine, but it is 50 miles from here to some muddy brine that might be charitably called ā€œthe seaā€, and 150 miles to something worth calling a hill :wink:

The variation in speeds is quite pronounced where I live. My area is cabled and so you can get up to 20/200mbps and all you need to do is be with 150m or so of a cable distribution box. ADSL here is poor as we are 6.1kms from the exchange. My house is 30years old so is wired to the old telephone exchange. Many new houses have been built since most of which are not cabled but are connected to a new nearby telephone exchange. So 500m further along you can get 10-12mbps ADSL type connections and no cable. A work colleague lives in a similar vintage property and is only 3km from a telephone exchange but his area is fed by some awful telephone cables so he just get 3.75mbps ADSL. There are places being upgraded to 70mbps FTTC and the cable company have been laying new cables to bring new build houses online. But like most things, the capital expense was such that no company was expanding their networks till the others started.

When I lived in Australia (in Woy Woy) - the telephone exchange was literally at the end of the street ! There I had a 25Mb/s ADSL connection - at least to servers on Telstraā€™s network! Having 25Mb/s or even 200Mb/s doesnā€™t help if the server you are trying to get to is on a 2Mb/s link!!

Upgrading (??) To Telekom Hybrid LTE II / Naked ADSL her next month, all being well.

Ed.

Hi all,

thanks for the point with OSM, I did not spot that. For Czech Republic there is a mapping company called Shocart which actually does paper maps, but at one point they started joint project with Seznam.cz - our biggest internet portal - to get the topographic maps to Mapy.cz. Recently they released the free Android app which I particularly like for the single click offline map download. I am glad you enjoy it!

BTW: My internet connection is from metro not-for-profit provider - 1Gbps copper ethernet, symmetric, FTTB, usually doing ~500-600Mbps.

Marek